Author Topic: NYC to Geneva  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Yosel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
NYC to Geneva
« on: August 02, 2010, 01:48:57 PM »
What is the best way fly from the NYC area to Geneva in B/C with miles?, i have a whole bunch of miles with SPG.

Travel Date is Aug 12 return Aug 16
Thanks

Offline steve2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: NYC to Geneva
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »
 well if Non-stop is important then its either on CO or LX, witha stop any European Carrier or with UA out of IAD (wash dc)

so 1st check to see who has what available, prob is SPG -CO is Bad 2 SPG per 1 CO (or UA) so youd probabaly want to trade someone your SPG for their Amex MR which goes into CO at 1:1. or into USAir which is *A, and I believe 100k in Biz to Europe but with a couple of nickel and dime fees thrown in

8/12 CO has Biz on its non-stop Saver @ 52,500 there but only a GVA-BRU-EWR on 8/16 8:45pm-10pm (overnight on yur $$$ or pts Theres a Sher at the airport) and then 8/17 9:45am -Noon @ 52,500 or 105k r/t
 or you can leave GVA on 8/17 @ 6am and still catch the CO out of BRU

SN/CO

for both GVA and BRU CO uses the 764 so its not BF but the old biz seats not lie-flat

CO doesnt show LX avaialbility so maybe LX has something available.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:03:51 PM by steve2 »

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »
Thanks,

my final destination is Crans-Montana it is a few hours drive fro GVA, are any smaller airports closer then GVA
Flying with a stop is not a problem

And i did check availability on Aug 16 on LX and its open

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 04:26:36 PM »
Thanks,

my final destination is Crans-Montana it is a few hours drive fro GVA, are any smaller airports closer then GVA
Flying with a stop is not a problem

And i did check availability on Aug 16 on LX and its open

U might be better off going all LX if its available, CO 764s Biz seats are pretty old, only the 777 and 752s have the new BF seating to them (& not all of them yet either).

also CO goes from EWR and Swiss Only to JFK from GVA so if you spilt it up you will have to have someone drop U off and p/u as no sens eparking by EWR if you flying back into JFK

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:35:59 PM »
you would still recommend flying into GVA? as oppose to a closer small airport?
Thanks

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »
you would still recommend flying into GVA? as oppose to a closer small airport?
Thanks

I was simply addressing the fact that LX flew only JFK-GVA, as to where its best to fly into I will pass the baton to our esteemed member Chuchem who I believe is ZRH based and therefore knows a heck more about Switz then I do. and suggest U PM him

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 04:55:13 PM »
I was simply addressing the fact that LX flew only JFK-GVA, as to where its best to fly into I will pass the baton to our esteemed member Chuchem who I believe is ZRH based and therefore knows a heck more about Switz then I do. and suggest U PM him
Thanks

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 04:02:27 AM »
No need to pm, only secrets have to be pm'd
There is only 2 main airports in switzerland, zrh and gva. Check googlemaps how far both are by car. i dont think there is a huge diffrence. But these are the only options. Dont take co, swiss flies with the new a333, much better.
If you have spg, dont forget they dont transfer instantly. If you fly business transfer them to air canada, its only 80k. Dont transfer them to miles and more as you will pay alot of fuel surcharges.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 07:21:30 AM »
No need to pm, only secrets have to be pm'd
There is only 2 main airports in switzerland, zrh and gva. Check googlemaps how far both are by car. i dont think there is a huge diffrence. But these are the only options. Dont take co, swiss flies with the new a333, much better.
If you have spg, dont forget they dont transfer instantly. If you fly business transfer them to air canada, its only 80k. Dont transfer them to miles and more as you will pay alot of fuel surcharges.

sorry to disagree but even non-secrets are best to PM when a person is looking to get someones attention. Not everyone will read or see every thread and by PMing an email is sent to that persons email acct as well so even if they dont check DD out they will know someone is in need of their help/advice once they log into their reg non-DD email acct

see even I learnt something new , I too would have thought that from GVA & ZRH that Swiss flew puddle jumpers into some smaller Switz cities

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »
sorry to disagree but even non-secrets are best to PM when a person is looking to get someones attention. Not everyone will read or see every thread and by PMing an email is sent to that persons email acct as well so even if they dont check DD out they will know someone is in need of their help/advice once they log into their reg non-DD email acct

see even I learnt something new , I too would have thought that from GVA & ZRH that Swiss flew puddle jumpers into some smaller Switz cities

From Zuerich there is one daily flight to Basel. From Zuerich there is a few flights to Geneva and very few to Lugano, thats it.

I agree PM is good to give the guya notice, that a question was asked, but answers should be on the public board, so other people know for next time

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 09:39:10 AM »
From Zuerich there is one daily flight to Basel. From Zuerich there is a few flights to Geneva and very few to Lugano, thats it.

I agree PM is good to give the guya notice, that a question was asked, but answers should be on the public board, so other people know for next time

I dont disagree about posting the info on the Boards as it most likely will benefit someone else sometime in the future

I guess with the excellent Rail network theers no need for internal flights. Basel is what an hour from ZRH? besides I think the flight would go into Mulhouse which is in France. How far is Milano from Lugano as I remember people telling me they were flying into MXP even thou they were heading to Lugano. And I think Lugano is 1 1/2 hrs drive from ZRH

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »
Its a shlep to get a flight to Lugano, they dont go so often.
Basel airport is split between a swiss and french site, so when you land you can pick which country you want to enter

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:53:09 PM »
Its a shlep to get a flight to Lugano, they dont go so often.
Basel airport is split between a swiss and french site, so when you land you can pick which country you want to enter
So, can you please help me with information on the Train going from GVA to Crans-Montana?

Do i buy a 2 way ticket when i arrive? also where can i see the schedule? and of course any discounts etc.?
Thanks

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 09:42:51 AM »
Also are there different cabin levels?

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 10:01:17 AM »
Now THAT is cool!
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 11:00:01 AM »
www.sbb.ch thats the website of the swiss railways. You can check prices and times online. There are discounts, but none you can get, its complicated. There is a first class but its much more expensive and no big difference.
Dont get a return, as they are the same price as 2 oneways