Poll

What type of student loan do you have?

Stafford Sub
Stafford Unsub
Direct Plus loan
Student loan through a bank (Chase, Citi, etc.)

Author Topic: New Federal Student Loan Law  (Read 2381 times)

Offline ayman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
New Federal Student Loan Law
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:40:05 PM »
All threads discussing student loans that I could find have not been posted on in over a year, so I started this new thread.
For all the Undergraduate students out there, it just got a little more expensive for you to borrow money from the federal govt. to go to school. For parents of students and graduate students it just got a whole lot cheaper for the next couple of years, but that is expected to change soon.
The new law governing interest rates on federal student loans was signed into effect by President Obama today. This is for all the Stafford loans, (ie: subsidized, unsubsidized and direct pluus for parents.) Until this year undergrad students were able to borrow money through a subsidized loan at 3.4% interest on the loan, payments were deferred until 6 mo after you graduate and interest did not start to accrue until after the 6 mo grace period. Graduate students have not been allowed to borrow money through a subsidized loan for a few years now and instead had to use the unsubsidized loan. The terms for the unsubsidized loan were 6.8% and while the payments were also deferred until 6 mo after graduation, interest starts accruing immediately. Direct Plus loans were for parents of students who wanted to take out a loan to help pay for school, this rate was fixed at 7.9% with the same terms as an unsubsidized loan.
The new law now ties the interest rate for all three loans to the 10 yr treasury note. As the value goes up, the rate of interest goes up and vice versa. The new current rates are sub 3.9%, unsub 5.4% and DP 6.4%.
So for all you graduate students and parents with a loan from previous years still outstanding, if you can still apply for a loan this year (still in school) take out the max amount that you were awarded, not just the min you need for tuition and books and use whatever is left over from this years tuition to pay off what is outstanding from previous years. You will be saving at least 1.4% interest on whatever you can "reborrow" on.
Buy discounted gift cards from me.
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: New Federal Student Loan Law
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 09:59:07 PM »
All threads discussing student loans that I could find have not been posted on in over a year, so I started this new thread.
For all the Undergraduate students out there, it just got a little more expensive for you to borrow money from the federal govt. to go to school. For parents of students and graduate students it just got a whole lot cheaper for the next couple of years, but that is expected to change soon.
The new law governing interest rates on federal student loans was signed into effect by President Obama today. This is for all the Stafford loans, (ie: subsidized, unsubsidized and direct pluus for parents.) Until this year undergrad students were able to borrow money through a subsidized loan at 3.4% interest on the loan, payments were deferred until 6 mo after you graduate and interest did not start to accrue until after the 6 mo grace period. Graduate students have not been allowed to borrow money through a subsidized loan for a few years now and instead had to use the unsubsidized loan. The terms for the unsubsidized loan were 6.8% and while the payments were also deferred until 6 mo after graduation, interest starts accruing immediately. Direct Plus loans were for parents of students who wanted to take out a loan to help pay for school, this rate was fixed at 7.9% with the same terms as an unsubsidized loan.
The new law now ties the interest rate for all three loans to the 10 yr treasury note. As the value goes up, the rate of interest goes up and vice versa. The new current rates are sub 3.9%, unsub 5.4% and DP 6.4%.
So for all you graduate students and parents with a loan from previous years still outstanding, if you can still apply for a loan this year (still in school) take out the max amount that you were awarded, not just the min you need for tuition and books and use whatever is left over from this years tuition to pay off what is outstanding from previous years. You will be saving at least 1.4% interest on whatever you can "reborrow" on.
Abridged version?

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 10:33:12 PM »
Student loan rates went down; if you have loans outstanding you should take out a new loan to refinance the old one.

Offline ayman

• View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 10:36:07 PM »
But only if you have an unsubsidized loan. The subsidized loans got a little more expensive.
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:56:55 PM »
Student loan rates went down; if you have loans outstanding you should take out a new loan to refinance the old one.

Reaaaaaally... this is good news...

I should probably look into this.

ETA:

Anyone have a link to an article that explains precisely what loans are going up and which down?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 11:07:16 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-signs-student-loan-interest-rate-legislation-into-law/2013/08/09/98fb0426-00f2-11e3-9711-3708310f6f4d_story.html

For the coming school year, the interest rate for undergraduates is 3.86 percent, and for graduate students it is 5.41 percent. The rate for PLUS loans, which are taken out by parents of students and graduate students, is 6.41 percent. These rates will lock in for the lifetime of the loan. All are lower than the original rates of 6.8 for undergraduates and graduates and 7.9 percent for PLUS loans.

The U.S. Department of Education will now change the interest rates and retroactively apply the new rates to loans taken out since July 1. The change is expected to only take a few days to implement.

Congress has imposed caps on how high these rates can go in future years: 8.25 percent for undergraduates, 9.5 percent for graduate students and 10.5 percent for PLUS loans. Although the rates are not expected to hit those caps in the next decade, congressional estimates show the rates could get close to the caps.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 11:14:19 PM »
So if I have current PLUS loans, I don't need to refi, they'll automatically be lowered?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ayman

• View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »
So if I have current PLUS loans, I don't need to refi, they'll automatically be lowered?
No, the new rates only take effect for new loans distributed for the 2013-14 school year.
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 11:19:01 PM »
No, the new rates only take effect for new loans distributed for the 2013-14 school year.

So I'm SOL for loans taken out before then?

Offline ayman

• View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 11:20:42 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-signs-student-loan-interest-rate-legislation-into-law/2013/08/09/98fb0426-00f2-11e3-9711-3708310f6f4d_story.html
The undergrad sub rate is only lower than the 6.8% rate it would have jumped to if congress had not taken any action. It used to be 3.4% and is now higher than that, so for those who had a sub loan from prev years it does not make sense to refinance.
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline ayman

• View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 11:21:47 PM »
So I'm SOL for loans taken out before then?
Yup, unless you still in school and can take out a new loan to cover costs and refinance what's leftover.  :-\
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
Durn.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 10:02:52 AM »
Durn.
+1
this is only good for new loans

Offline aviz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 11:29:55 AM »
my wife just graduated grad school ...

she has a loan thats in a grace period for a couple more months - interest is 6.8%... I am now at the point where I have to make the payback selection and all ...

Are there any other options out there? refinancing at a lower rate ? or do I just pick one of those standard plans (Level/graduated) ?
Pleas hold. Your call will be answered in the order it was received.

Offline ayman

• View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 12:38:05 PM »
Don't think you can refi w the govt. If you find a private lender that will give you a lower rate go for it. Also check out Hebrew Free Loan Society. Jewish organization that gives out interest free loans for different causes incl. going to school to get a masters degree. Dunno if it will help as your wife already graduated, but you can try.
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline ayman

• View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 01:41:33 AM »
Update: For anyone who is currently a Grad student. I got a new loan this year (Direct Unsubsidized) @ 5.4% instead of the usual 6.8%. Using left over amount after tuition to pay a Direct Grad Plus loan @ 7.9% early. 8)
www.simplifyshopping.com