Author Topic: Sony Vaio Z...  (Read 20260 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Sony Vaio Z...
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »
Hmmm, do you think I'll be able to convince Dell to give me anything other than a Studio XPS 13?
The SXPS13 is discontinued now, so I have no idea what the 13" replacement would be. Probably a Studio 14 but that's very far from an ultraportable.

It could be that my refurb SXPS13 was defective, or it's just a bad model.  I liked the concept of the computer itself, but it would overheat to the point of automatically shutting down, I had to change the motherboard, and the LCD started turning just itself off randomly.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »
The SXPS13 is discontinued now, so I have no idea what the 13" replacement would be. Probably a Studio 14 but that's very far from an ultraportable.

Dell outlet still has a ton of 'em in stock.

OT, but I'm curious: Why did Dell revamp their outlet store so it's harder to see their inventory?

DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 03:35:24 PM »

It could be that my refurb SXPS13 was defective, or it's just a bad model.  I liked the concept of the computer itself, but it would overheat to the point of automatically shutting down, I had to change the motherboard, and the LCD started turning just itself off randomly.

Update: Tech came in, asked me what was wrong. When he heard I want a replacement laptop, he didn't bother switching any parts, told me he's just note my account that he recommends a replacement. He said I'll probably get one, we'll see if he's right.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 03:19:51 AM »

Update: Tech came in, asked me what was wrong. When he heard I want a replacement laptop, he didn't bother switching any parts, told me he's just note my account that he recommends a replacement. He said I'll probably get one, we'll see if he's right.

Update: I just got off the phone with Dell, and if what the rep told me is true, I will be overjoyed.

She says they have no compatible 13 inch laptops in stock. She offered me a Studio 14 (no XPS, so a downgrade) or an XPS 16 which I think is a superior. She said it would be with an i7 processor, which means I'm not going to end up with a 'measly' core2duo spec'd machine.

I'm hoping it will be new (not refurbished), and I can convince them to spec it out. Based on the specs I'll decide if I want to keep it, or if it's worth selling so I can get something nice. If I decide do keep it, it's going to be hard migrating from a 3.5 Lb. laptop to a 6.5 Lb. laptop...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 10:28:51 AM »
Update: I just got off the phone with Dell, and if what the rep told me is true, I will be overjoyed.

She says they have no compatible 13 inch laptops in stock. She offered me a Studio 14 (no XPS, so a downgrade) or an XPS 16 which I think is a superior. She said it would be with an i7 processor, which means I'm not going to end up with a 'measly' core2duo spec'd machine.

I'm hoping it will be new (not refurbished), and I can convince them to spec it out. Based on the specs I'll decide if I want to keep it, or if it's worth selling so I can get something nice. If I decide do keep it, it's going to be hard migrating from a 3.5 Lb. laptop to a 6.5 Lb. laptop...

Try to get a new fully loaded SXPS16.
Fleabay it and get a nice compact laptop...a market that Dell seems to have ceded from unfortunately.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 01:12:39 PM »
Yup, that's what I was thinking, though fleabay's commission (and discount vs. Dell.com) might discourage that. i.e. If I only net $7/800 on fleabay.

But back on topic: Did you decide if you're going to keep your Sony Z?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 01:38:25 PM »
But back on topic: Did you decide if you're going to keep your Sony Z?
I think I will.
Quite frankly, it really is leaps and bounds better than anything I've ever used before or anything else on the market now.  I still marvel at just how much they crammed into such a lightweight and small computer.

And considering that I'm on the computer for 12 hours a day and it's a business expense I think I'm gonna keep it.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 02:13:03 AM »
Try to get a new fully loaded SXPS16.
Fleabay it and get a nice compact laptop...a market that Dell seems to have ceded from unfortunately.

Your prediction was right, I got a mediocre M1340. I raised hell, now I have a fully loaded (Core i7, 6gb DDR3,500gb  7.2k HDD, FHD display etc) XPS 1645 on order.

Now we'll see which computers they ask me to ship back...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »
I know, I've always made fun of Sony buyers myself...
But with the 10% off and the $300 trade-in the price is less astronomical.

Do either of those laptops have a backlit keyboard? That was one spec that I need that's hard to find in some ultra-portables.
Update: Sony's external vendor rejected my trade-in claim because it apparently isn't valid on the configurable Z12 that I purchased for $2,050.

I called up Sony threatening to return the laptop and they just issued a $300 refund!

Not bad considering that now I also get to keep the laptop I was going to trade in!

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 09:47:11 PM »
Update: Sony's external vendor rejected my trade-in claim because it apparently isn't valid on the configurable Z12 that I purchased for $2,050.

I called up Sony threatening to return the laptop and they just issued a $300 refund!

Not bad considering that now I also get to keep the laptop I was going to trade in!

Nice!
Enjoy your laptop.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 02:48:22 AM »

If the vendor doesn't know about the refund it would mean that you can theoretically return the laptop and pocket the $300.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 09:49:13 AM »
If the vendor doesn't know about the refund it would mean that you can theoretically return the laptop and pocket the $300.
Yes, but the vendor already rejected my claim.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know if this laptop is a good deal?
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »
Disclaimer: I'm writing on a Dell I've had that's five years old, but the Dell I bought to replace it only gave me heartache. I'd say Lenovo Thinkpads are better built than any current consumer Dells (Inspiron/XPS etc.).
The 700m series was the last great Dell series IMHO...well built, good design, great quality, etc.
What did you replace it with?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Anyone know if this laptop is a good deal?
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 02:39:34 PM »
The 700m series was the last great Dell series IMHO...well built, good design, great quality, etc.

I think there are a few good Dell latitudes (such as the E3410) since the 700M.

What did you replace it with?

An M1330 which died needed the motherboard replaced repeatedly. I got Dell to give me an XPS 16, which I sold for $1200 cash. I'm writing on my 700M, which is on its last leg, still looking for my next ultraportable. I'm probably going to settle for the Toshiba R700 series, or a Sony Z if I find one for a good enough price.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »
I think there are a few good Dell latitudes (such as the E3410) since the 700M.
I never tried a latitude, I guess I'll limit my statements to the dell home line.

If you're willing to spend go for the Sony Z, get 10%-15% off by going through the school or 2 accessory discount, and then use the trade-in loophole I discovered to get another $300 off...
Still will be expensive, but it's by far and away the best ultra-portable out there.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »
I never tried a latitude, I guess I'll limit my statements to the dell home line.

If you're willing to spend go for the Sony Z, get 10%-15% off by going through the school or 2 accessory discount, and then use the trade-in loophole I discovered to get another $300 off...
Still will be expensive, but it's by far and away the best ultra-portable out there.

I prefer to wait for something like the microsoft store 35% discounts, or to buy it on clearance. I've already seen it for $1599 at some legit sites. When the new models come out, the older ones' prices will drop.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »

I prefer to wait for something like the microsoft store 35% discounts, or to buy it on clearance. I've already seen it for $1599 at some legit sites. When the new models come out, the older ones' prices will drop.

The Z12 is $1,799 now with the Z13 just released (And the Z13 doesn't come in black for whatever odd reason without paying an extra $50)  If you are able to finagle 15% off with a sales rep that's $1,529 and less $300 is $1,229...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2010, 03:24:08 PM »
The Z12 is $1,799 now with the Z13 just released (And the Z13 doesn't come in black for whatever odd reason without paying an extra $50)  If you are able to finagle 15% off with a sales rep that's $1,529 and less $300 is $1,229...

If only I can cash in the trade in if I buy from an online retailer. Better cahsback and no tax to NY.

I also want to see what new laptops apple will be launching tomorrow. Rumor has it an updated macbook air is coming out.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2010, 03:33:21 PM »
If only I can cash in the trade in if I buy from an online retailer. Better cahsback and no tax to NY.

I also want to see what new laptops apple will be launching tomorrow. Rumor has it an updated macbook air is coming out.
Getting $300 and not trading in anything is pretty good in my book...plus I have the OEM warranty including damage.

If the Macbook Air comes out with a 13", Core i7, 8GB RAM, dedicated graphics, 7+hour removable battery, SSD, DVD Burner, 3 USB ports, webcam, bluetooth, memory card reader with HDMI and a backlit keyboard weighing in at 3 pounds tomorrow I will eat my Z12...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2010, 03:36:21 PM »
Getting $300 and not trading in anything is pretty good in my book...plus I have the OEM warranty including damage.
The OEM warranty (3yr) is an extra $400.
If the Macbook Air comes out with a 13", Core i7, 8GB RAM, dedicated graphics, 7+hour removable battery, SSD, DVD Burner, 3 USB ports, webcam, bluetooth, memory card reader with HDMI and a backlit keyboard weighing in at 3 pounds tomorrow I will eat my Z12...
But will you post the video on YouTube? :D