Topic Wiki

THANKS NETZIH!!

I am still looking for data points as to whether people skipping the flight to YYZ will get partner credit. I believe the earliest flights available in this deal were in November (although if I'm wrong and people were already able to take some of those flights, please correct me), so I assume we'll have to wait until mid-to-late November for the brave individuals who chance it to educate the rest of us.

1) Don't credit your miles to United. There have been many reports of United miles being clawed!

Author Topic: Flights nyc-tlv-yyz $469 on usairways  (Read 195884 times)

Online SamKey

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
Re: Flights nyc-tlv-yyz $469 on usairways
« Reply #400 on: August 30, 2013, 04:30:10 AM »
Anyone else having a problem of not getting a refund on a 17.99 charge for a service fee on orbitz on tickets you cancelled?
yes

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
« Reply #401 on: August 30, 2013, 04:41:17 AM »
Might be worth mentioning, i just got off the phone with US airways for my LGA-PHL-TLV-PHL-YYZ.

I added my United Platinum Number to the reservation but of course i was unable to select preferred seating. As, like united, US airways has reciprocally stopped allowing United's Elites to select preferred seating on their flights.

After adding my United Platinum number, i asked if my star alliance gold status was reflected on the reservation, she confirmed that she did not see my status on her system and attributed it to a "known glitch".

I told her i would like to select a preffered "Elite seat" (not the "choice" ones that cost money rather the preffered seats blocked for elite members in the front - not economy plus either).  She said she would be glad to do as i am an "elite member" and those seats are blocked for Elite members only.

2 points.
A. Although officially i am not entitled to the preffered seats, and i could not have selected them online, over the phone i was able to.
B. apparently the agent was not even able to verify if i was a star alliance gold member or not, hence even if i gave them a random number they may have beleived me that it is star-alliance gold and allocated me those seats anyway.

While point B. is not such a big deal, as that is as far as the benefit will extend - a seat closer to the front, no other benefits, that benefit alone is worth a nice few bucks as you can select better seats then even the "choice seats" wich cost money.

Just giving the heads up for those interested in getting a better seat..
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:44:59 AM by rcarentals »
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline shimbo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 30, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 30, 2013, 08:51:40 AM »
Might be worth mentioning, i just got off the phone with US airways for my LGA-PHL-TLV-PHL-YYZ.

I added my United Platinum Number to the reservation but of course i was unable to select preferred seating. As, like united, US airways has reciprocally stopped allowing United's Elites to select preferred seating on their flights.

After adding my United Platinum number, i asked if my star alliance gold status was reflected on the reservation, she confirmed that she did not see my status on her system and attributed it to a "known glitch".

I told her i would like to select a preffered "Elite seat" (not the "choice" ones that cost money rather the preffered seats blocked for elite members in the front - not economy plus either).  She said she would be glad to do as i am an "elite member" and those seats are blocked for Elite members only.

2 points.
A. Although officially i am not entitled to the preffered seats, and i could not have selected them online, over the phone i was able to.
B. apparently the agent was not even able to verify if i was a star alliance gold member or not, hence even if i gave them a random number they may have beleived me that it is star-alliance gold and allocated me those seats anyway.

While point B. is not such a big deal, as that is as far as the benefit will extend - a seat closer to the front, no other benefits, that benefit alone is worth a nice few bucks as you can select better seats then even the "choice seats" wich cost money.

Thanks for the info.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 30, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »

2 points.

Thanks!
Is your Gold status from A3?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 30, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »
Thanks OP for this deal :D

Thanks!
Is your Gold status from A3?

Didn't he say he added UA Plat?

I have a 50 minute layover on the outbound (NYC-PHL-TLV) in Philly. Is there any way for me to get US Airways to switch me to an earlier flight to Philly? What happens on the ground in Philly?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Lou Bob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 30, 2013, 03:44:16 PM »
Thanks OP for this deal :D

I have a 50 minute layover on the outbound (NYC-PHL-TLV) in Philly. Is there any way for me to get US Airways to switch me to an earlier flight to Philly? What happens on the ground in Philly?
if they see delays, why not just switch from new York straight to tlv? (or some other route)
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #407 on: August 30, 2013, 04:16:18 PM »
What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that there is a difference between a mistake fare and a fuel dump.
+100
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 30, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »
What's fuel dump?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 30, 2013, 05:25:16 PM »
if they see delays, why not just switch from new York straight to tlv? (or some other route)

But what if the delays don't happen until later?

Also, I'm departing from JFK, would they switch me to El Al or Delta?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 30, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »
What's fuel dump?

Getting rid of the extra charges added as a fuel cost. Way of charging more $$

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 31, 2013, 09:08:56 PM »
Getting rid of the extra charges added as a fuel cost. Way of charging more $$
Meaning they pay less tax?

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 31, 2013, 10:09:34 PM »
Meaning they pay less tax?

Yep. Also, some companies charge fuel surcharges on award tickets. The more they charge, the more they squeeze out of the award ticket customers.
Visibly Jewish

Offline MLM

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #413 on: August 31, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »
When landing into PHL will we have to clear customs even though we will be officially flying into YYZ which is International?

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #414 on: August 31, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »

2 points.

Just called US Airways, I asked the if my Star Alliance gold is showing up (which I don't have), she said there is a system outage. I then asked if I can pick Elite seats, she said that the benefit was taken away last year. Maybe I'll try again, but i guess its a YMMV.

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 31, 2013, 11:08:02 PM »
When landing into PHL will we have to clear customs even though we will be officially flying into YYZ which is International?
Yes.

Offline MLM

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #416 on: August 31, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »
Yes.

Thanks is that because Canada departs from Domestic terminals?

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #417 on: August 31, 2013, 11:45:29 PM »
Thanks is that because Canada departs from Domestic terminals?

No.

It is because the CBP reserves the right to paw through the dirty laundry of any passenger landing in the US, period. Doesn't matter where you're connecting to. You could be connecting to the moon via NASA, and you'd still have to collect your bags and clear customs.

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
« Reply #418 on: September 03, 2013, 02:16:56 AM »
+1
Just called US Airways, I asked the if my Star Alliance gold is showing up (which I don't have), she said there is a system outage. I then asked if I can pick Elite seats, she said that the benefit was taken away last year. Maybe I'll try again, but i guess its a YMMV.
These cases are always YMMV... HUCA is your chance..

I noticed there is a philly master thread, (http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=944.0) but there is no wiki, and close to no information on the airport.. with all the people bound to fly through philly, i think it could be extremely useful to organize the information there. specifically pertaining to flying through. I.E what lounges are there, kosher food in ariport if available, for thos dropping the last leg and driving to NY, which restaurants are there etc... anyone?
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 09, 2013, 10:28:58 AM »
+1These cases are always YMMV... HUCA is your chance..

I noticed there is a philly master thread, (http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=944.0) but there is no wiki, and close to no information on the airport.. with all the people bound to fly through philly, i think it could be extremely useful to organize the information there. specifically pertaining to flying through. I.E what lounges are there, kosher food in ariport if available, for thos dropping the last leg and driving to NY, which restaurants are there etc... anyone?
Called today, agent said there had been an outage last week which caused partner elite status not to show up but that had been fixed. She tried to select the preferred sears anyways  but the system did not allow it.
Oh well.