Author Topic: Parking lot scam, beware  (Read 38247 times)

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Parking lot scam, beware
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2013, 02:01:37 AM »
we agreed they taking advantage, doesn't make it legal to park there. We keep going in circles.

would u agree that its quite obvious that the parking lot is intended for customers of 7-11, and not meant for David's bridal or Target?

Would u agree that it is not at all like the parking lot on j and 13?
I think we will be arguing about this till next year:)

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2013, 02:17:21 AM »
As a resident of Crown Heights I gotta ask: what are these "parking lot" things you guys are talking about?

On a more serious note, I agree with
Kugil fresser,  I'm sorry to say,  but you're being totally obnoxious. 
This is not a simple situation where one parked illegally knowingly. 

It's a pprivate parking lot looking to exploit a right that they do have -  in a very disgusting way. 
There's no reason that should be tolerated.

If they weren't In it for the money -  and it's just all about keeping their lot their customers -  they would put up a massive sign warning everyone about the towing practice.

This is obviously a seriously corrupt business scheme going on,  and there no reason anybody should become a  victim to this,  and not speak up. 
+1,000,000,000

I'm sorry kugelfresser... You know I generally have a healthy respect for you, but in this case, you - pardon my French - sound like an obnoxious idiot.

I was at that lot two weeks ago, shopping at the 7-Eleven. I didn't even see any sign, that's how small it apparently is. And no, it never occurred to me that it's a strictly supervised private lot. In fact, it thoroughly creeps me out to know that someone was watching me the entire time I was there, eyeing me as I tried the Slurpee machine (all the good flavors weren't frozen) and taking note of how I scanned the gift card rack for Amazon and OneVanilla cards.

I don't like this one bit. These people are clearly taking advantage of some legal technicalities coupled with human fallibility (i.e. a person's tendency to think "hey, I'm just running across the street for a minute") to rake in lots of ill-gotten gains. And for that they deserve (at minimum) to be castrated with a barbecue fork. A dull one.

As for your point that people are parking there "illegally"... Puh-leez. The punishment doesn't even come close to fitting the crime. $136 for parking for a few minutes?! Even the city doesn't charge so much for many parking violations. Would you like it if I had you towed for blocking my driveway, and then charged you $500 for it? How about if I live in one of those states where you can legally shoot someone for being on your front porch without permission - would you think it's totally normal for me to blow you away with my Remington 12-gauge shotgun just for coming to put a flyer in my mailbox?

Just because I can legally do those things, that doesn't make them right. I'd still be a reprehensible human being for doing so. And that is exactly what I think of these miserable turds.

/rant

#my2cents

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2013, 05:31:25 AM »
If this would've happened to me on would call the cops every 20 min - as a new person - every day for the next few weeks.
This didn't even happen to me bh,  but I'm thinking about doing this just to end this malfunctioning practice.

Aryeh1 do you by any chance know the name of the towing company? (it doesn't really affect my lplan,  but  I'm just curious.  I wanna look them up and see if they're licensed,  insured,  etc)

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
If this would've happened to me on would call the cops every 20 min - as a new person - every day for the next few weeks.
This didn't even happen to me bh,  but I'm thinking about doing this just to end this malfunctioning practice.

Aryeh1 do you by any chance know the name of the towing company? (it doesn't really affect my lplan,  but  I'm just curious.  I wanna look them up and see if they're licensed,  insured,  etc)
All about automotive is the company ,  but it seems there is a deal between the driver and lot,  he's just working under company name.

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »
My take.

+1 MB and real-brisker.

Kugelfresser you're acting like a troll.

What hocker would do:

Go down and get video and pictures of this going on. Make sure to have a picture of the tow truck driver, he might not be licensed to drive the tow at all, as well as the license plates.

Call 311

Contact News 12, CBS NY, NY Post and the NYDN (in that order). I might be able to help.

Contact David Greenfield's office.

Dispute the charge with the CC company and send them in the NY post article.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »
My take.

+1 MB and real-brisker.

Kugelfresser you're acting like a troll.

What hocker would do:

Go down and get video and pictures of this going on. Make sure to have a picture of the tow truck driver, he might not be licensed to drive the tow at all, as well as the license plates.

Call 311

Contact News 12, CBS NY, NY Post and the NYDN (in that order). I might be able to help.

Contact David Greenfield's office.

Dispute the charge with the CC company and send them in the NY post article.

I would also stand there for a few minutes and steal their fish from their net.

Offline stopillegaltowing

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »
First take a look at our Facebook page created by us against these tow truck companies running their illegal scam in Brooklyn and in Queens: Facebook - Stop Illegal Towing
Number one: Saying we only take cash is illegal there must be 2 major credit cards as forms of payment as well as cash. Illegal to say you must pay in cash or else we are taking your car back to the pound. You are correct if you stand there and watch what they do for a little while you will see the horrors of their scam. The fact that they say "WE HAVE A SIGN UP, THEREFORE ITS LEGAL TO TOW" is INCORRECT. You do not have to pay the towing charge if they violate any one the NYC towing regulations. The fact that they did not bring your car straight to the pound is illegal. That's the SCAM right there. If they brought the towed car all the way to their lot which is miles away, then came back for another car that's creating less time to tow more cars. They HIDE your car around the corner or sometimes park it right on the city street. That's their illegal SCAM. So that they can tow 10 cars in 10 minutes and collect nothing but CASH. There's no secret here, people are just not aware of the SCAM. Look up the article in the NY Post: "City Cracks Down on Scammer Tow Companies" printed Dec 2012. They get busted all the time by the DCA and get their towing license revoked, however, they just change their names and get a new license and do their scam all over again. To have guys in the lot watching you leave is predatory towing operation, its not legal. It helps to make your complaint to the DCA you can do so easily online, you can also go to small claims court, very easy too, they will never show up in court and you will win automatically. And I bet anyone any amount of money if you and a couple of friends just for 1 hour, stand in front and tell people "if you leave this lot you will be towed" we have done this already and all persons warned clearly not like those confusing tiny lettered Warning signs (a scam within a scam) they all went back to their cars and parked somewhere else. If you and your friends stood there for 1/2 hour even and warned people, do you think for a second they would not try to chase you away? They would walk right up to you and tell you to stop warning people, why? because obviously they be out tow money. They collect money based on people's lack of knowledge of the scam. The tiny lettered Warning signs are of no help. Just simple say to people "if you park here and cross the street you will be towed" . Besides, I already contacted the precinct and found out yes it is my legal right to stand on a city public street and warn whomever I want. So *** to you tow truck company.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »
First take a look at our Facebook page created by us against these tow truck companies running their illegal scam in Brooklyn and in Queens: Facebook - Stop Illegal Towing
Number one: Saying we only take cash is illegal there must be 2 major credit cards as forms of payment as well as cash. Illegal to say you must pay in cash or else we are taking your car back to the pound. You are correct if you stand there and watch what they do for a little while you will see the horrors of their scam. The fact that they say "WE HAVE A SIGN UP, THEREFORE ITS LEGAL TO TOW" is INCORRECT. You do not have to pay the towing charge if they violate any one the NYC towing regulations. The fact that they did not bring your car straight to the pound is illegal. That's the SCAM right there. If they brought the towed car all the way to their lot which is miles away, then came back for another car that's creating less time to tow more cars. They HIDE your car around the corner or sometimes park it right on the city street. That's their illegal SCAM. So that they can tow 10 cars in 10 minutes and collect nothing but CASH. There's no secret here, people are just not aware of the SCAM. Look up the article in the NY Post: "City Cracks Down on Scammer Tow Companies" printed Dec 2012. They get busted all the time by the DCA and get their towing license revoked, however, they just change their names and get a new license and do their scam all over again. To have guys in the lot watching you leave is predatory towing operation, its not legal. It helps to make your complaint to the DCA you can do so easily online, you can also go to small claims court, very easy too, they will never show up in court and you will win automatically. And I bet anyone any amount of money if you and a couple of friends just for 1 hour, stand in front and tell people "if you leave this lot you will be towed" we have done this already and all persons warned clearly not like those confusing tiny lettered Warning signs (a scam within a scam) they all went back to their cars and parked somewhere else. If you and your friends stood there for 1/2 hour even and warned people, do you think for a second they would not try to chase you away? They would walk right up to you and tell you to stop warning people, why? because obviously they be out tow money. They collect money based on people's lack of knowledge of the scam. The tiny lettered Warning signs are of no help. Just simple say to people "if you park here and cross the street you will be towed" . Besides, I already contacted the precinct and found out yes it is my legal right to stand on a city public street and warn whomever I want. So *** to you tow truck company.

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for your helpful input!
Visibly Jewish

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »
My friend, welcome to the forums. I'm going to help you out here a bit:

Number one: Saying we only take cash is illegal there must be 2 major credit cards as forms of payment as well as cash. Illegal to say you must pay in cash or else we are taking your car back to the pound.

You are correct if you stand there and watch what they do for a little while you will see the horrors of their scam. The fact that they say "WE HAVE A SIGN UP, THEREFORE ITS LEGAL TO TOW" is INCORRECT. You do not have to pay the towing charge if they violate any one the NYC towing regulations.

The fact that they did not bring your car straight to the pound is illegal. That's the SCAM right there. If they brought the towed car all the way to their lot which is miles away, then came back for another car that's creating less time to tow more cars. They HIDE your car around the corner or sometimes park it right on the city street. That's their illegal SCAM. So that they can tow 10 cars in 10 minutes and collect nothing but CASH.

There's no secret here, people are just not aware of the SCAM. Look up the article in the NY Post: "City Cracks Down on Scammer Tow Companies" printed Dec 2012. They get busted all the time by the DCA and get their towing license revoked, however, they just change their names and get a new license and do their scam all over again.

To have guys in the lot watching you leave is predatory towing operation, its not legal. It helps to make your complaint to the DCA you can do so easily online, you can also go to small claims court, very easy too, they will never show up in court and you will win automatically. And I bet anyone any amount of money if you and a couple of friends just for 1 hour, stand in front and tell people "if you leave this lot you will be towed" we have done this already and all persons warned clearly not like those confusing tiny lettered Warning signs (a scam within a scam) they all went back to their cars and parked somewhere else.

If you and your friends stood there for 1/2 hour even and warned people, do you think for a second they would not try to chase you away? They would walk right up to you and tell you to stop warning people, why? because obviously they be out tow money. They collect money based on people's lack of knowledge of the scam.

The tiny lettered Warning signs are of no help. Just simple say to people "if you park here and cross the street you will be towed" . Besides, I already contacted the precinct and found out yes it is my legal right to stand on a city public street and warn whomever I want. So *** to you tow truck company.

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »
@stopillegaltowing
What does your place do exactly?
How do I initiate a claim against the above mentioned towing company?

I just cannot stand the fact that clueless people get sucked into this trap. 

I bet they have some non-clueless people who do give them a hard time,  buy what about all the innocent people??

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2013, 12:57:12 PM »
All that we do is post free information for the entire public to see about their towing scam.  You can find us on facebook type in "stop illegal towing" this is for brooklyn and queens. We cannot stand the fact that people fall victim to this scam as well, that's why this facebook page was created to give out valuable information and to expose them, they don't want to be exposed obviously. And for starters the best steps to take are:
1) Complain to corporate 7 Eleven send an email to: newsmediainquiry@7-11.com
2) File an online complaint form to DCA: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/contact/contact_form.shtml
3) Dispute the charge if you paid with a credit card.
4) Go to small claims court:http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/publications/publications_small_claims.shtml
5) If corporate gets flooded with complaints they will end the contract that they sign with the tow company to authorize towing

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2013, 01:14:23 PM »
Thanks for chiming into this thread #stopillegaltowing

Yes the whole scheme is this guy follows you and tells you to get your car down the block ,  to avoid taking your car to lot,  which he doesn't do ever.

Also he took my license info,  does that matter.  Can i still dispute it? If so what do you recommend telling cc company?

Sorry for short post,  i have more to say but on my phone will post more later.

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2013, 01:41:08 PM »
to aryegl:
The fact that they had your car on the side of the road when they were supposed to drive it directly to the pound, that's an illegal tow, they broke the law they are not supposed to sit in front of the place with your car.  You are disputing an illegal tow. I would keep the receipt of the tow, which has the timed towed and the receipt that the gown was dropped off and the time on that receipt as well. And another regulation is that they have to get written authorization by the owner of the private property to tow the car. This is something they cannot provide the credit card company with because its a scam. "no vehicle shall be removed by a tow operator from private property without express written authorization by the owner of the private property" also "a vehicle which is removed shall be taken directly to a facility for storage maintained by the person licensed to engage in towing"
 Here is the website NYC towing laws of private parking lots:
 http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/ADC/19/1/2/19-169.1

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2013, 01:43:57 PM »
to aryegl:
The fact that they had your car on the side of the road when they were supposed to drive it directly to the pound, that's an illegal tow, they broke the law they are not supposed to sit in front of the place with your car.  You are disputing an illegal tow. I would keep the receipt of the tow, which has the timed towed and the receipt that the gown was dropped off and the time on that receipt as well. And another regulation is that they have to get written authorization by the owner of the private property to tow the car. This is something they cannot provide the credit card company with because its a scam. "no vehicle shall be removed by a tow operator from private property without express written authorization by the owner of the private property" also "a vehicle which is removed shall be taken directly to a facility for storage maintained by the person licensed to engage in towing"
 Here is the website NYC towing laws of private parking lots:
 http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/ADC/19/1/2/19-169.1

Shoots... wish i would've known this earlier,  even police seem ignorant of this law.

Makes sense as $136 should be cost to lot,  not to tow outside and wait.

At least people reading this will know

Offline YOSEF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »
a. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, where a licensed tow operator removes a vehicle because it is parked on private property in a manner inconsistent with posted instructions, and such removal is pursuant to a contract between the owner of the private property and the licensed tow operator for the removal of any such improperly parked vehicles, such tow operator may collect the following charges from the vehicle owner or other person in control of such vehicle, payable before the vehicle is released: up to but not more than one hundred dollars for removal and the first three days of storage; up to but not more than ten dollars per day for storage thereafter; except that no charge may be collected for removal or storage of a vehicle pursuant to this section by a person who is not licensed to engage in towing pursuant to subchapter thirty-one of chapter two of title twenty of this code.

b. No owner or operator of parking facilities on private property shall tow or cause to be towed from such private property any motor vehicle unless such owner or operator shall conspicuously post and maintain upon such private property a sign stating the name, address and telephone number of the tow operator, the hours of operation for vehicle redemption, towing and storage fees of the tow operator and the hours vehicles are prohibited from parking and subject to tow.

c. No vehicle shall be removed by a tow operator from private property without express written authorization by the owner of the private property or his or her agent as designated in the contract between the owner of the private property and the tow operator. Such authorization shall be required for each vehicle removed, and shall include the location, make, model, color and license plate number of the vehicle to be removed.

d. A vehicle may not be removed if it is occupied by any person.

e. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle which is removed shall be taken directly to a facility for storage maintained by the person licensed to engage in towing pursuant to subchapter thirty-one of chapter two of title twenty of the code who has removed such vehicle and which is within city limits and no more than ten miles from the point of removal. If no such facility is available, the closest available facility for storage within New York city maintained by a person so licensed shall be utilized. Such facility for storage must be a secure place for safekeeping vehicles.

f. Any person who removes a vehicle pursuant to this section shall, within thirty minutes of the vehicle's arrival at a facility for storage, notify the local police precinct having jurisdiction over the area from which the vehicle was removed, as to the storage site, the time the vehicle was removed, the location from which the vehicle was removed, the name of the person who authorized the removal, and the fact that the removal was pursuant to a contract with the owner of the private property, and shall obtain the name of the person at such police precinct to whom such information was reported and note such name on a trip record together with the time and date that the vehicle was removed.

g. If the registered owner or other person in control of a vehicle arrives at the scene prior to the removal of the vehicle, and such vehicle is connected to any apparatus for removal, the vehicle shall be disconnected from such apparatus and such registered owner or other person in control of such vehicle shall be allowed to remove the vehicle from the premises without interference upon payment of a reasonable service fee of not more than one-half of the charge allowed for removal as provided in subdivision a of this section, for which a receipt shall be given. Each tow operator shall carry a legible copy of this section with this paragraph highlighted, and shall show it to a vehicle owner, or other person in control of the vehicle, who arrives at the scene prior to the removal of a vehicle.

h. The registered owner or other person in control of a vehicle which has been removed pursuant to this section shall have the right to inspect the vehicle before accepting its return. No release or waiver of any kind which would release the person or company removing the vehicle from liability for damages may be required from any such owner or other person as a condition of release of the vehicle to such person. A detailed, signed receipt showing the legal name of the person or company removing the vehicle must be given to the person paying the removal and storage charges at the time of payment.

i. When an owner of private property, his or her agent as designated in the contract with the tow operator, or a tow operator contracting with such owner causes a vehicle to be removed in violation of this section, there shall be no charge to the owner or other person in charge of the vehicle for the cost of removal and storage. Such person who has violated this section shall be liable to the owner or other person in control of the vehicle for any amounts actually paid for removal, transportation and storage of the vehicle, as well as for any damage resulting from the removal, transportation and storage of the vehicle.

j. Any person who violates this section shall be punished as follows: for the first violation, a fine of two hundred and fifty dollars; for the second violation within a period of twelve months of the date of the first violation, a fine of five hundred dollars; and for any additional violations within a period of twenty-four months of the date of a first violation, a fine of one thousand dollars.

k. No person may, under authority of this section, cause the removal of any ambulance, police vehicle, fire vehicle, civil defense emergency vehicle, emergency ambulance service vehicle, environmental emergency response vehicle, sanitation patrol vehicle, hazardous materials emergency vehicle or ordnance disposal vehicle of the armed forces of the United States.

l. Authorized officers and employees of the department and the department of consumer affairs and members of the police department shall have the power to enforce the provisions of this section and any rules promulgated hereunder.

m. The commissioner of consumer affairs is authorized to promulgate such rules as the commissioner deems necessary to effectuate the provisions of this section.
So it clearly seems that you have grounds to deny the CC.

They were supposed to tow you to a facility and didn't. This is in violation and gets the fee waived.

As an aside, even if they were still actively towing you, and you showed up, the maximum fee is $50
. (maximum fee for tow and 3 days storage is $100, and "up to half".

This is an important part for anyone who gets towed; it says maximum is $100 for tow and up to 3 days storage!!!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 02:03:49 PM by YOSEF »

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »
To Yosef: Yes what that means is that its called the "drop fee" the charge is $62.50 and its on their Warning sign, thats when you catch them right in the parking lot, not outside the parking lot, Towing rates from private parking lot    - Towing and three days of storage: $125
- Fourth day of storage and after: $15 per day
- "Drop fee" (for unhooking a car that is about to be towed): $62.50
found at:http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/publications/publications_towing.shtml

But areyh1 still got illegally towed.

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2013, 02:12:36 PM »
There was an amendment to the fee schedule since the older the law the more the money right? And when you have time check our facebook page (stop illegal towing). You don't have to "like" anything, just read it, how we are trying to expose their scam.
The fees are updated to:Towing rates from private parking lot

- Towing and three days of storage: $125
- Fourth day of storage and after: $15 per day
- "Drop fee" (for unhooking a car that is about to be towed): $62.50

$100 and $50 were the previous fees...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/downloads/pdf/intro_201a_towing.pdf

§3. Subdivisions a and j of section 19-169.1 of title 19 of the administrative code of the city
of New York, as amended by local law number 104 for the year 1993, are amended to read as follows:
a. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, where a licensed tow operator removes a vehicle
because it is parked on private property in a manner inconsistent with posted instructions, and such removal is
pursuant to a contract between the owner of the private property and the licensed tow operator for the removal
of any such improperly parked vehicles,such tow operator may collect the following chargesfrom the vehicle
owner or other person in control ofsuch vehicle, payable before the vehicle isreleased: up to but not more than
[one hundred] one hundred twenty-five dollars for removal and the first three days of storage; [ten] up to but
not more than fifteen dollars per day for storage thereafter; except that no charge may be collected for removal
for storage of a vehicle pursuant to this section by a person who is not licensed to engage in towing pursuant to
subchapter thirty-one of chapter two of title twenty of this code.

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »
Thank you Yosef for posting and highlighting the important parts of the law. I just put the updated fees.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »
Is he wrong for parking there? MAYBE.
Are they legally allowed to tow? NO.

Is this a Scheme that must be stopped? YES.

FTFY ;)
Visibly Jewish

Offline real-brisker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »
He didn't tow legally,
but he could've town legally.