Author Topic: Parking lot scam, beware  (Read 38208 times)

Offline dd321

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Parking lot scam, beware
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
Listen your really trying hard to make this guy sound better,  be his lawyer when he ends up in court.  I guarantee this practice won't last..
u sound like a fool. U admit it's a private lot, designated for 7-11 and stores there only, and there's a sign . You tried to take advantage and were busted. I'm all for justice , but don't try to twist things. I'd love to be in court when u go, lemme knw when it is.

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Parking lot scam, beware
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2013, 11:43:22 AM »
these lots are meant for when u are shopping there, not to buy a slurpee then go to target etc
Ok obviously ppl dont know,  i had no intention to get free parking so does anyone else,  its not clear which stores are meant for that lot.  For example ive seen many times a lot meant for many stores in area,  such as across the street. 
On avenue j and e 13 that lot is used for many stores on J

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
u sound like a fool. U admit it's a private lot, designated for 7-11 and stores there only, and there's a sign . You tried to take advantage and were busted. I'm all about justice , but don't try to twist things. I'd love to be in court when u go, lemme knw when it is.
Do you realize your the only one trying so hard standing up for this guy.

At least get paid for it,  i feel bad your trying so hard without compensation.

Yes if it makes you feel good call ppl names, 
I told you everyone that got towed that day mustve been fools:)
When you go there tell everyone that got towrd that they are fools for parking there , maybe the owner will appreciate it.

Offline dd321

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »

Ok obviously ppl dont know,  i had no intention to get free parking so does anyone else,  its not clear which stores are meant for that lot.  For example ive seen many times a lot meant for many stores in area,  such as across the street. 
On avenue j and e 13 that lot is used for many stores on J
ave j and 13 is a private seperate PARKING lot where they charge u for parking so u can shop in the area, where u parked is a parking lot part of a strip mall, across the avenue from where u went. Totally obvious that its not a public lot.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »
look at pic I just posted , you will see it not a "lot", its a seperate strip mall.

That doesn't mean the owner(s) of the building own the parking lot. Nor does it mean they're involved in the whole 'scam' aspect of it. From one of the articles linked in this thread (too lazy to go back and quote it) it seems clear that it's the towing companies running these schemes.

or you could just admit that u tried to get away with stealing, but instead call e/o else a thief. U honestly thought the 7-11 lot was meant for David's bridal?

You seem to be conflating 2 issues here. There's the consumer's behavior and the 'scheme' operator's behavior. The consumer's behavior may be problematic, but it's a separate issue, which I'll get to in a moment. You seem to be suggesting that the building or lot owner is using an aggressive tactic to prevent non-customers from using his lot. And that would at least be legitimate for the most part, if not a dumb way to deal with the problem. But that's clearly not what's going on here.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of the fact that aryeh (as proxy for all consumers with the same issue) is denying any blame for the situation. You're right that in actuality he was doing something he should not have been doing. But that 'violation' is so minor in context as to be irrelevant. And the reality is that it's not always clear that a private lot is for customers only. Every private lot probably has that policy, but the vast majority never care, so what's the big deal. If in fact the owner was having issues with his lot filling up and legitimate customers not getting in, and made it clear somehow, that would be one thing. But that basically never happens.

Offline dd321

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2013, 11:48:09 AM »

Do you realize your the only one trying so hard standing up for this guy.

At least get paid for it,  i feel bad your trying so hard without compensation.

Yes if it makes you feel good call ppl names, 
I told you everyone that got towed that day mustve been fools:)
e/o who parked there were trying to avoid paying for parking at intended garage .

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
ave j and 13 is a private seperate PARKING lot where they charge u for parking so u can shop in the area, where u parked is a parking lot part of a strip mall, across the avenue from where u went. Totally obvious that its not a public lot.
Your wrong no charge for certain stores do your research first

Offline dd321

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »

That doesn't mean the owner(s) of the building own the parking lot. Nor does it mean they're involved in the whole 'scam' aspect of it. From one of the articles linked in this thread (too lazy to go back and quote it) it seems clear that it's the towing companies running these schemes.

You seem to be conflating 2 issues here. There's the consumer's behavior and the 'scheme' operator's behavior. The consumer's behavior may be problematic, but it's a separate issue, which I'll get to in a moment. You seem to be suggesting that the building or lot owner is using an aggressive tactic to prevent non-customers from using his lot. And that would at least be legitimate for the most part, if not a dumb way to deal with the problem. But that's clearly not what's going on here.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of the fact that aryeh (as proxy for all consumers with the same issue) is denying any blame for the situation. You're right that in actuality he was doing something he should not have been doing. But that 'violation' is so minor in context as to be irrelevant. And the reality is that it's not always clear that a private lot is for customers only. Every private lot probably has that policy, but the vast majority never care, so what's the big deal. If in fact the owner was having issues with his lot filling up and legitimate customers not getting in, and made it clear somehow, that would be one thing. But that basically never happens.
I will get clear pix next time I'm there, or the "lot", the sign, and the gown store Cross the avenue. As Aryeh said, 40ppl tries doing this in one day, that's alot of parking spaces filled up by non customers . It doesn't seem it's like the scam in article by toys r is.

Offline dd321

• View Profile
Parking lot scam, beware
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2013, 11:52:05 AM »
Your wrong no charge for certain stores do your research first
  ya some stores, if u shop there will give u reciept so u don't have to pay. But it's a seperate random lot. 7-11 is a enclosed strip mall
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:55:25 AM by kugelfresser »

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »
I will get clear pix next time I'm there, or the "lot", the sign, and the gown store Cross the avenue. As Aryeh said, 40ppl tries doing this in one day, that's alot of parking spaces filled up by non customers . It doesn't seem it's like the scam in article by toys r is.

The way they deal with you once they hook your car makes it clear that it's exactly the same as the other places this is done.

ETA: And also, if it was just the owner trying to protect his lot from non-customers, there would be much smarter ways of scaring off others. Like instead of people following you to see where you go, have big clear signs everywhere, hire one guy to basically tell people when they get out of their car, this lot is for customers of x, y and z only, others will be towed, etc.

Offline dd321

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2013, 11:56:15 AM »

The way they deal with you once they hook your car makes it clear that it's exactly the same as the other places this is done.
or its just too time consuming to take it to pound etc

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2013, 11:56:57 AM »
The lot never fills up as he constantly tows and if you read about them they can tow even when your in the store.

Also td bank has an exist leading to other side in street,  take that exit... You get towed.

And please why should he charge $136 for 5 minutes of his work just to tow you across the street.  The driver doesn't even leave the truck,  he tows while hes inside.
It would take him less time to say if u don't move your car we are towing you,  instead he waits for u to get towed then acts like hes a friendly bystander telling u to run get your car.

Officially they can charge a lot bec they tow to their lot but here he isn't,  he wants u to get the car before to save time.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »
or its just too time consuming to take it to pound etc

See my edit above. You don't really think this would be a smart way to do business do you?

Offline dd321

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2013, 11:59:24 AM »

The lot never fills up as he constantly tows and if you read about them they can tow even when your in the store.

Also td bank has an exist leading to other side in street,  take that exit... You get towed.

And please why should he charge $136 for 5 minutes of his work just to tow you across the street. He must be making more than a Dr.  The driver doesn't even leave the truck,  he tows while hes inside.
It would take him less time to say if u don't move your car we are towing you,  instead he waits for u to get towed then acts like hes a friendly bystander telling u to run get your car.

Officially they can charge a lot bec they tow to their lot but here he isn't,  he wants u to get the car before to save time.
k so probly, the way it's set up is that the towing company gets a % of tow $ or all of it, so yes maybe they are being too aggressive. But doesn't justify parking there

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »
k so probly, the way it's set up is that the towing company gets a % of tow $ or all of it, so yes maybe they are being too aggressive. But doesn't justify parking there

You're making a lot of assumptions about the way it works, but either way, I come back to what I said originally: you're conflating 2 issues. I'm not defending the practice of parking somewhere you're not supposed to park. But it's a completely separate issue (and trivial in comparison) from the alleged practices of these towing companies. Whether it's the towing companies doing this on their own, or with involvement of property ownership, it's wrong no matter how you slice it. They are also doing some things that are illegal, as documented in the linked articles, and the City has taken action.

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »
If he doesn't want people parking there,  he could have a person standing there instead of 3 or possibly more people running this scheme. 

I myself felt like standing there and telling people if u leave u will get towed,  but didn't want to get shot,  as the guy didn't seem nice,  and he looked really sketchy with red eyes.

Offline dd321

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »

You're making a lot of assumptions about the way it works, but either way, I come back to what I said originally: you're conflating 2 issues. I'm not defending the practice of parking somewhere you're not supposed to park. But it's a completely separate issue (and trivial in comparison) from the alleged practices of these towing companies. Whether it's the towing companies doing this on their own, or with involvement of property ownership, it's wrong no matter how you slice it. They are also doing some things that are illegal, as documented in the linked articles, and the City has taken action.
I agree. But y is it illegal if there is a sign?

Offline dd321

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2013, 12:06:06 PM »

If he doesn't want people parking there,  he could have a person standing there instead of 3 or possibly more people running this scheme. 

I myself felt like standing there and telling people if u leave u will get towed,  but didn't want to get shot,  as the guy didn't seem nice,  and he looked really sketchy with red eyes.
or he could just post a sign, and ppl could use common sense...

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »
Kugel fresser :
Also reason why i made this thread is to help and warn people about it,  as i really feel bad for everyone getting towed.

So if u feel its ovbious and doesn't apply to you then this is not for you

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »
I agree. But y is it illegal if there is a sign?

The towing itself is not necessarily illegal (although in one of the links the person was shopping only at the intended establishments and still got towed), but just about everything that follows can be. Besides, even if it's not technically illegal, if the City decides it's a predatory practice I'm sure they have ways of dealing with it (and have already done so with major fines in some cases).