Author Topic: Site Suggestions  (Read 67836 times)

Offline Aerial Dag

  • Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jun 2013
  • Posts: 886
  • Total likes: 47
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Location: MS Desert
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #645 on: January 06, 2017, 09:33:14 AM »
Sounds pretty basic

There has to be a simple add on for that

Yup they're all over the place for Wordpress. Just a matter of picking one and implementing it. Just please don't choose a facebook only comment system.

Offline Dan

  • Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • **********
  • Join Date: May 2008
  • Posts: 53594
  • Total likes: 2405
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
  • Location: CLE
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #646 on: January 06, 2017, 09:37:15 AM »
This might have been suggested before but can we get threaded comments on the DDMS comment section? I don't usually read through comments but when I do it's a complete disaster trying to navigate through who is responding to whom.
My beef with threaded comments is that you need to read through everything to find the latest comment.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline davidmal

  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • *********
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Posts: 7603
  • Total likes: 542
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 207
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
  • Location: New York
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #647 on: January 06, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
My beef with threaded comments is that you need to read through everything to find the latest comment.
For replying for you it might be harder but for end users it's easier to read your replies which are the ones that matter!!!
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline davidmal

  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • *********
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Posts: 7603
  • Total likes: 542
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 207
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
  • Location: New York
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #648 on: January 06, 2017, 10:02:46 AM »
What just happened? Did I get a notification on Tapatalk for a Dan's deal main site deal?
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline tjak

  • Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • *****
  • Join Date: Apr 2014
  • Posts: 544
  • Total likes: 24
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #649 on: January 06, 2017, 10:06:52 AM »
What just happened? Did I get a notification on Tapatalk for a Dan's deal main site deal?
I got it too.

Offline as2

  • Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • ********
  • Join Date: Mar 2013
  • Posts: 4854
  • Total likes: 528
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #650 on: January 06, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »
Got it too...
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline whYME

  • Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • ********
  • Join Date: May 2008
  • Posts: 2775
  • Total likes: 382
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #651 on: January 06, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
My beef with threaded comments is that you need to read through everything to find the latest comment.
I haven't looked at anything out there, but I'll be surprised if there's no threading plugin that provides a time-based sorting that you would find acceptable

Offline Aerial Dag

  • Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jun 2013
  • Posts: 886
  • Total likes: 47
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Location: MS Desert
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #652 on: January 06, 2017, 10:43:58 AM »
I haven't looked at anything out there, but I'll be surprised if there's no threading plugin that provides a time-based sorting that you would find acceptable

Doing some basic research seems that most plugins allow for comment sorting by date/time but that's only the parent comment. Perhaps there is one plugin out there that allows for comments to be unthreaded and then sorted by date/time. But Dan maybe you only need that on the Admin level.

Offline Dan

  • Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • **********
  • Join Date: May 2008
  • Posts: 53594
  • Total likes: 2405
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
  • Location: CLE
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #653 on: January 06, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »
Doing some basic research seems that most plugins allow for comment sorting by date/time but that's only the parent comment. Perhaps there is one plugin out there that allows for comments to be unthreaded and then sorted by date/time. But Dan maybe you only need that on the Admin level.
Am I the only one that is annoyed when following a post on another blog and having to hunt for the new comment every time a new comment is left?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Aerial Dag

  • Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jun 2013
  • Posts: 886
  • Total likes: 47
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Location: MS Desert
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #654 on: January 06, 2017, 11:01:19 AM »
Am I the only one that is annoyed when following a post on another blog and having to hunt for the new comment every time a new comment is left?

I guess. So something like this? https://www.johnparris.com/wordpress-plugins/comments-since-last-visit/

Offline davidmal

  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • *********
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Posts: 7603
  • Total likes: 542
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 207
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
  • Location: New York
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #655 on: January 06, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
Am I the only one that is annoyed when following a post on another blog and having to hunt for the new comment every time a new comment is left?
Comments arent followed on DDMS like other sites, thats what the forums for.
Comments are usually looked at 1ce or 2ce not revisited often.
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline as2

  • Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • ********
  • Join Date: Mar 2013
  • Posts: 4854
  • Total likes: 528
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #656 on: January 06, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »
Comments arent followed on DDMS like other sites, thats what the forums for.
Comments are usually looked at 1ce or 2ce not revisited often.
+1 most of those comments are unrelated as well.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline whYME

  • Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • ********
  • Join Date: May 2008
  • Posts: 2775
  • Total likes: 382
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #657 on: January 06, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »
Am I the only one that is annoyed when following a post on another blog and having to hunt for the new comment every time a new comment is left?
I'm sure there's a way to do it where it sorts by threads with the most recent comments

Offline CZ60

  • Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 431
  • Total likes: 35
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Location: New York
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #658 on: January 09, 2017, 01:23:35 PM »
Am I the only one that is annoyed when following a post on another blog and having to hunt for the new comment every time a new comment is left?
+1 I kind of like it the way it is now. 90% of the time you know who is responding to who. The other 10%, sacrifice for having things in some sort of order.

Offline davidmal

  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • *********
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Posts: 7603
  • Total likes: 542
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 207
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
  • Location: New York
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #659 on: January 09, 2017, 01:27:45 PM »
My beef with threaded comments is that you need to read through everything to find the latest comment.
+1 I kind of like it the way it is now. 90% of the time you know who is responding to who. The other 10%, sacrifice for having things in some sort of order.

How many times do you REvisit the comments page to check it up for updates?
Dan do you have this stat?

I doubt it would be often...

Comments arent followed on DDMS like other sites, thats what the forums for.
Comments are usually looked at 1ce or 2ce not revisited often.
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"