Author Topic: Trip to Europe...on points  (Read 948 times)

Offline Esther

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Trip to Europe...on points
« on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »
I'm planning a trip to Europe (as of now Switzerland, Italy, and Paris) at the end of December and hope to do it mostly on points. I currently have 18,850 Starwood points and just signed up for the SPG AMEX so I should be getting an additional 30,000 soon enough. (I'm platinum status if that helps). I also have about 41,000 Ultimate Rewards points from Chase (Freedom card) and about 23,500 AMEX points.

What are the best credit cards to sign up for to get free/cheap airfare and hotels?

Thanks

Offline real-brisker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to Europe...on points
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
United, BA, SP, Citi.... The list goes on,
There is no limit to churning.
Hatzlocha

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »
Depends.. What airline do you like flying with often? How many people? What class of service do you want to fly? Do you need points for hotels to? What hotel chain do you like?

It can totally depend on different things for which cards to apply for.

Good luck.
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 02:50:57 PM »
Save your SPG points for hotels in Europe. Especially if you're platinum. European SPG hotels generally treat plats well.

Cheapest option for flights is to sign up for American Express membership Rewards cards (PRG, Business Gold or Platinum) and transferring to ANA for booking flights on United & US Airways with no YQ.

Offline Esther

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »
Depends.. What airline do you like flying with often? How many people? What class of service do you want to fly? Do you need points for hotels to? What hotel chain do you like?

It can totally depend on different things for which cards to apply for.

Good luck.

No preference - whatever's cheap. 2 people. Lowest class - I'm not picky. I would assume so - I don't think my current SPG points would be enough. I need hotels for at least 5 nights. No preference to hotels either. Just something decent.

Save your SPG points for hotels in Europe. Especially if you're platinum. European SPG hotels generally treat plats well.

Cheapest option for flights is to sign up for American Express membership Rewards cards (PRG, Business Gold or Platinum) and transferring to ANA for booking flights on United & US Airways with no YQ.

Thanks. I'll look into that.