Author Topic: Boycott Kaporas?  (Read 69097 times)

Offline sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Boycott Kaporas?
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2015, 09:47:57 PM »
I did it in Boro Park this year, at like 11PM when the chickens had already been sitting all day.

My chicken seemed just fine, not dead at all. It squawked at me and fought go get loose like a right spring chicken.

I saw two dead chickens in a box, which does not seem too bad considering they must have done a couple thousand that day.

The tayna on the crates is ridiculous--they are supposed to be shipped in those crates. You think the kaparros people invented the crates? It's just the same crates every shipper ships chickens in.

And when I watch that video, especially with the yarlmulked sheigetz being the mekatreig, it reminds me very well of Lukumi Babalu Aye (which was similarly the high class Cuban immigrants trying to shut down the superstitions of the low class immigrants who practiced Santeria)

I haven't used chickens much the last few years, but I have for most of my life. I've never had a chicken that looked half-dead. They've always been clucking, wriggling, etc.

That said, can there be room for improvement? Could be. But everyone knows that's not what this is about. This is the same thing as people who condemn israel, when there are dozens of worse situations that deserve their attention. As the saying goes, "Don't change the subject, we're talking about the Jews!" (http://www.cross-currents.com/archives/2010/02/15/an-afternoon-with-alan-dershowitz/)

Offline Chapshnell

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2015, 12:55:12 AM »
Its a minhag & as long as I can I will use a chicken.. on the other hand.. how about us not dumping so much challah into the prospect park lake that there are clunks of challah floating all over? SMH

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
Its a minhag & as long as I can I will use a chicken.. on the other hand.. how about us not dumping so much challah into the prospect park lake that there are clunks of challah floating all over? SMH

I have also used chickens all my life, but now I'm having second thoughts about it. I'm not intimidated by protesters, but I do question the lengths to which one is to go to fulfil a minhag which has alternative methods of being performed. The protesters that I have seen in the past seem to be legitimate kooks who are concerned about the welfare of the chickens, not anti-Semites or anti-religious like some people claim.

I personally do not believe that there is a way to perform kapparos en masse without the chickens suffering. That said, maybe those who wish to perform the minhag should privately arrange to purchase chickens from a farmer and then bring them over to a shochet (like the old days).

I also wonder about the deafening silence from Rabbanim of all communities. There should be some kind of p'sak as to whether this should continue or not.

Remember that kapparos is a huge business, and those that run the business are going to be the biggest proponents of this minhag.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:58:32 AM by zale »

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »
Do you have a clue what the average commercial chicken goes through? Their quality of life is not what it used to be, - few chickens clucking around a shady yard.

If you would go check out their living conditions would you go vegan?

Kaporos chickens are suffering just as much the rest of them.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2015, 02:32:09 PM »
Do you have a clue what the average commercial chicken goes through? Their quality of life is not what it used to be, - few chickens clucking around a shady yard.

If you would go check out their living conditions would you go vegan?

Kaporos chickens are suffering just as much the rest of them.
Chickens that you eat on a regular basis are stuffed onto feeder houses with so many other chickens that they can barely move. They never see the light of day and after they are nice and plump are loaded onto trucks and killed. Not much of a life they are living anyways. If I were a chicken id love to get out for a day before I die.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
I can't believe I even opened this thread, this is a Minhag in klal Yisroel and minhag Yisroel Torah hee. You want to protest how they transport and take care of them fine but to boycott a minhag???

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2015, 04:08:47 PM »
How often are they supposed to eat ? I passed by a kaporas center over shabbos & there were crates full of them just sitting there. Is 25 hours with no food normal for them ?

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2015, 04:09:37 PM »
How often are they supposed to eat ? I passed by a kaporas center over shabbos & there were crates full of them just sitting there. Is 25 hours with no food normal for them ?
Who said there was no food in the crates, I was just there and every crate had food and water.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2015, 04:12:33 PM »
Who said there was no food in the crates, I was just there and every crate had food and water.
Wouldn't they eat it all up within the first few minutes ? Animals don't really understand the concept of saving for later on. I'm just wondering. I can't imagine there was still food left over shabbos afternoon.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »
They can go a couple days without food

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2015, 04:47:39 PM »
Wouldn't they eat it all up within the first few minutes ? Animals don't really understand the concept of saving for later on. I'm just wondering. I can't imagine there was still food left over shabbos afternoon.

No, they won't eat till it's gone.
Our chickens always have food, and they often don't finish it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2015, 06:20:16 PM »
how about us not dumping so much challah into the prospect park lake that there are clunks of challah floating all over? SMH
See: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=10713
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline shimbo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2015, 09:37:58 PM »
I can't believe I even opened this thread, this is a Minhag in klal Yisroel and minhag Yisroel Torah hee. You want to protest how they transport and take care of them fine but to boycott a minhag???

If to keep a minhag you have to be oiver a few issurim (or at least enable someone else be oiver for you), is that a minhag worth keeping?

Never mind the fact that there is a perfectly acceptable alternative.
Visibly Jewish

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2015, 09:48:39 PM »
Never mind the fact that there is a perfectly acceptable alternative.
Do most believe this?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2015, 09:50:56 PM »
Do most believe this?
No.
Either way, what goes on in CLE at least definitely isn't worse than what happens at any slaughterhouse. No reason it can't be a little more humane.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2015, 09:54:29 PM »
No.
Either way, what goes on in CLE at least definitely isn't worse than what happens at any slaughterhouse. No reason it can't be a little more humane.

Doing it with money is a problem according to most?
I don't think so, but who knows.

I believe a fly by night business like kapporas as a general rule will not be humane.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2015, 09:58:31 PM »
Doing it with money is a problem according to most?
I don't think so, but who knows.

I believe a fly by night business like kapporas as a general rule will not be humane.
Kaparos will be eliminated by chabadskers when we start getting rid of metzitzah b'peh and our beards. Or maybe once we start drinking C"S.
Just ain't gonna happen.

Don't see why it needs to be fly by night. It's not by me.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2015, 09:59:12 PM »
No.
Is it like most things that it takes time to change or like some things that will not change?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2015, 10:01:34 PM »
Is it like most things that it takes time to change or like some things that will not change?
I can't speak for other sects, but nothing is going to change it in mine. Then again extremely little changes with time in mine either, the customs we have are pretty much set in stone at this point.