Topic Wiki

List of TR's: Drago, bigworld, jj1000,
yitzy93, Cbs, moish, chucksterace

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
Kosher Bakery - breakfast and lunch
-Alef Alef - Fleishig. Closed in the Afternoon. district 1 on juden gasse (jew street). Good place to eat on shabbos. Under the hashgacha of rabbi schwartz
-Ainhorn Butcher -Shawarma and Shnitzel. Under the hashgacha of rabbi schwartz
-Simchas Butcher
-Kosher Hotel in Saltzburg Austria.  Hotel Alpen Karawanserai not kosher anymore as of Jul 19, 2022 email from hotel
-Novellino       Dairy
-Shalom caterers in Vienna.
-Bahur Tov Meat Resturant
-Shefa Market. Fully Stocked Grocery Store, and Dairy Cafe

Synagogue:
-
Ohel Moshe
-Mizrachi am Judenplatz. They have daily minyanim
-Templegasse (Earliest Minyan)

Things to Do:
-Kaver of the Chasam Sofer in Bratislava is only a hour out of Vienna. Please note that the memorial is closed most of the year but can be opened by appointment. Call +421-948-554442 or email memorial@znoba.sk to make an appointment.
-Jewish tour in midtown
-Beautiful Streets -Kaertner Strasse, Mariahilfer Strasse, Der Ring. In the inner city with great stores (clothing, etc), cafes and old buildings that make it lots of fun to stroll around in.
-Museum of Sound
-Shonbrunn palace (district 13) this is the main residence of kaiser franz joseph (who happened to be agreat friend of the jews). the property is larger than the whole of Monaco.  It is a 5 minute subway ride From district 3 which is where the CAT train (takes 16 minutes from the airport) drops you off if you are coming from the airport.
-KUNSTHISTORISCHES Museum - is an art museum but it also has many objects that were made for the Habsburg emporers
-IMPERIAL PALACE- it's in hofburg which was the center of the Habsburg empire. Today in the palace there are 3 museums about the life of the imperial court. 1. The Imperial Apartments with their original furnishings and decoration 2. the Sisi Museum about  the empress' life, and 3. the Imperial Silver Collection which contains a collection of tableware and other stuff from the habsburg dynasty.
1) (district 1, the center of town).

Hotels:
-Spg: Bristol
-Spg: Imperial
-Spg: Do&co
-Hyatt: Park Hyatt Vienna
-IHG: Intercontinental
-Hilton Plaza Vienna
-Spg: Le Meridien

Hotel Stefanie is very accommodating for Shabbos.. they have physical keys etc. And is around the corner from Ohel Moshe

Getting Around:
-Uber and Mytaxi (App)
-Vienna is a small city (although on the map it looks quite large) and has a great public transportation network which is easy to navigate.
-Driver - Motty Hammer 43 676 848044718

Notes:
-Eruv?  http://www.eruv.at.
« Last edited by yitzy93 on December 27, 2023, 08:12:52 PM »

Author Topic: Vienna Master Thread  (Read 120623 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Vienna Master Thread
« Reply #400 on: December 27, 2023, 05:09:44 AM »
TR Chanukah 2023

Vienna was amazing! We flew Singapore JFK-FRA for 60k AC (couple and baby) and then Austrian Economy 6k united from FRA-VIE. if you do that you cannot get into any lounge in the termainl, only if you're *Gold or higher so consider booking business all the way through. It would be 70k air canada, 57.5k AA, and im sure there others that would maybe be good value such as Iberia.

Stayed at Park Hyatt, we booked the Diplomat Suite for 60k a night. That should have been 13k cash for a 4 night stay, so a nice value of about 5 or 6 cents per point. suite is beautiful and the service in the hotel is amazing. Anything we asked for was on its way in a few minutes without fail. We lit candles in the hotel on a high ledge that was next to the window and everything worked out ok, night staff came in several times and never said anything about the candles.

How Shabbos friendly is the hotel? Automatic lights? Were they familiar with Shabbos needs?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yitzy93

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 27, 2023, 08:15:32 PM »
My latest Trip Report

Offline sam 64

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 21, 2024, 07:41:34 PM »
i plan on going to vienna shortly if i'm not renting a car and i will be on foot  which hotel is the most centrally located near food and minyanim? park Hyatt? stefanie?

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #403 on: January 21, 2024, 09:00:25 PM »
i plan on going to vienna shortly if i'm not renting a car and i will be on foot  which hotel is the most centrally located near food and minyanim? park Hyatt? stefanie?
I had a good experience staying at Imlauer/Nestroy
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline sam 64

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 22, 2024, 12:06:02 AM »
thanks ill check that out does anyody know if park hyatt is walking distance to shuls and food

Online Ploni3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 22, 2024, 06:51:11 AM »
The main frum community is on the other side of the Danube Canal which is a good walk from the PH but central to Imlauer. But there are a few shuls very close by the PH so minyan is not an issue. Aleph Aleph is a close walk from PH but most restaurants are a good walk from there or a 10 minute drive, depending on traffic.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #406 on: January 22, 2024, 09:37:14 AM »
The main frum community is on the other side of the Danube Canal which is a good walk from the PH but central to Imlauer. But there are a few shuls very close by the PH so minyan is not an issue. Aleph Aleph is a close walk from PH but most restaurants are a good walk from there or a 10 minute drive, depending on traffic.
We walked from the PH to Chabad and restaurants. Very nice walk.
That being said, the PH is a beautiful building and rooms with lousy service.

Lousy service/attitude is also a theme among local attractions and the restaurants, so maybe it's cultural. Beautiful city though, other than the pervasive graffiti.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #407 on: January 22, 2024, 09:55:53 AM »
How Shabbos friendly is the hotel? Automatic lights? Were they familiar with Shabbos needs?

sorry @Dan I know you went already but I just saw this. I was not there for shabbos, however, I think it could work on the general scale, I remember the closet is motioned censored to turn on lights but I do not think anything else was. The whole building is only a few stories so there isnt really a room thats too high to use the stairs, which is right alongside the elevator so you dont need to get special permission to use them, however you do need a room key to get on to your floor from the elevator/stairs so that could be an issue however im sure someone can meet you there. There is a front door that is not electric so that is not an issue. I dont think there is anything that would actually be such a problem on shabbos, I would definitely make sure you have a suite though so that you have a place to eat if youre eating in the hotel. They run about 48k points i think for the basic suite.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 22, 2024, 10:00:06 AM »
sorry @Dan I know you went already but I just saw this. I was not there for shabbos, however, I think it could work on the general scale, I remember the closet is motioned censored to turn on lights but I do not think anything else was. The whole building is only a few stories so there isnt really a room thats too high to use the stairs, which is right alongside the elevator so you dont need to get special permission to use them, however you do need a room key to get on to your floor from the elevator/stairs so that could be an issue however im sure someone can meet you there. There is a front door that is not electric so that is not an issue. I dont think there is anything that would actually be such a problem on shabbos, I would definitely make sure you have a suite though so that you have a place to eat if youre eating in the hotel. They run about 48k points i think for the basic suite.
They walked us up to our room, though they didn't show up to walk us down. We tried to get help from housekeeping, but they didn't speak any English or even attempts in Yiddish/German.

They said they would fix the closet sensor, but didn't. In the end we used 2 bandaids and took care of it ourselves.

The exit on the bottom of the stairs is electric sensor, but you can go around to a manual exit during daytime hours via the cafe.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #409 on: January 22, 2024, 10:01:19 AM »
We walked from the PH to Chabad and restaurants. Very nice walk.
That being said, the PH is a beautiful building and rooms with lousy service.

Lousy service/attitude is also a theme among local attractions and the restaurants, so maybe it's cultural. Beautiful city though, other than the pervasive graffiti.

I found the service to be amazing, but I was there during the Chratzmach season which is what they live for so it could be that they were on their A game for that. anything we wanted was at our door in minutes. Though i do not think we asked for far-fetched favors

thanks ill check that out does anyody know if park hyatt is walking distance to shuls and food

Like mentioned above Alef Alef is a few minutes away. There is a shul about a one minute walk away from the hotel, its in the Judenplatz. literally right there. They daven around 7 in the morning. Then there is the big synogague (more like a great synogague type) that is right next to alef alef. When i was there there was no mincha/maariv in the judenplatz so i had to go to the great synogague for mincha maariv which is at the zman. you will need passport for the main shul, the judenplatz shul never asked

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 22, 2024, 10:01:48 AM »
They walked us up to our room, though they didn't show up to walk us down. We tried to get help from housekeeping, but they didn't speak any English or even attempts in Yiddish/German.

They said they would fix the closet sensor, but didn't. In the end we used 2 bandaids and took care of it ourselves.

The exit on the bottom of the stairs is electric sensor, but you can go around to a manual exit during daytime hours via the cafe.

To go down you needed a key?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 22, 2024, 10:03:55 AM »
To go down you needed a key?
There is an electric sensor door to go into the lobby.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 22, 2024, 10:07:48 AM »
I found the service to be amazing
2 weeks ago.

I had the butter, chocolate, and hazelnut. We may have cried eating them.

Didn't have the raspberry.

I bought a box with all of them to bring home and had the PH Paris freeze it, brought it to London and had the Savoy freeze them, brought it to Vienna and the PH there freeze it. And then the PH Vienna lost it. Or ate it? I was not amused.

good to hear I'm not the only one that had  a problem of my food, they never put my food in the freezer so I had to buy more fresh chicken for yt to replace my spoiled food they left out

It wasn't their only service failure for us either.

Tell me about it. They gave me kosher breakfast in an open shopping bag with 1 non sealed tray of eggs and 2 yogurts for 2 ppl. That's besides the fact that we asked them to lower the ac and they never did and there was no bell boy in front when we pulled up. Guests were carrying their own suitcases up the stairs to the elevator. I met the general manger to explain all the issues and she couldn't seem to understand. By far the worst park hyatt in terms of service. Nice rooms though. Btw we also had just come from park hyatt paris and got breakfast from xxv which was very good. I'll be in park hyatt milan next week and they gave already me menu from Denzel bakery to choose from.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 22, 2024, 10:11:56 AM »

Well I will give you an easier eitza. We asked them for a fridge which was delivered to our room in minutes and we enjoyed our cold groceries in our room :) and they waived the fridge fee for us as well

And the AC can be lowered yourself in the room...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 22, 2024, 10:13:19 AM »
Well I will give you an easier eitza. We asked them for a fridge which was delivered to our room in minutes and we enjoyed our cold groceries in our room :) and they waived the fridge fee for us as well
We had to move rooms. They said they would transfer the food from the fridge, but instead they threw it away.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 22, 2024, 10:15:44 AM »
We had to move rooms. They said they would transfer the food from the fridge, but instead they threw it away.

I hear, thats for sure a language barrier issue. The housekeeping crew did not speak english at all. However, just my own kashrus nitpicking I would have brought all the food with us and not left it for housekeeping to touch at all.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 22, 2024, 10:40:46 AM »
I hear, thats for sure a language barrier issue. The housekeeping crew did not speak english at all. However, just my own kashrus nitpicking I would have brought all the food with us and not left it for housekeeping to touch at all.
Wasn't an option. They needed the old room and the new room wasn't ready and we had to go to shul on Shabbos.

Offline dealover23

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 10, 2024, 02:00:06 PM »
I'll be in Vienna for an evening and a morning. Any restaurant suggestions for dinner and breakfast?

Online Ploni3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 10, 2024, 08:29:01 PM »
If you're there Wednesday evening then I'd suggest Aleph Aleph for its all you can eat buffet. Other nights there is a choice of restaurants but check with your lor about the hashgachot. For breakfast I'd suggest Novalino.

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #419 on: February 10, 2024, 11:41:48 PM »
If you're there Wednesday evening then I'd suggest Aleph Aleph for its all you can eat buffet. Other nights there is a choice of restaurants but check with your lor about the hashgachot. For breakfast I'd suggest Novalino.
+1 on both, delicious but original
For breakfast I also tried Ohel Moshe, basic but good
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ