Topic Wiki

List of TR's: Drago, bigworld, jj1000,
yitzy93, Cbs, moish, chucksterace

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
Kosher Bakery - breakfast and lunch
-Alef Alef - Fleishig. Closed in the Afternoon. district 1 on juden gasse (jew street). Good place to eat on shabbos. Under the hashgacha of rabbi schwartz
-Ainhorn Butcher -Shawarma and Shnitzel. Under the hashgacha of rabbi schwartz
-Simchas Butcher
-Kosher Hotel in Saltzburg Austria.  Hotel Alpen Karawanserai not kosher anymore as of Jul 19, 2022 email from hotel
-Novellino       Dairy
-Shalom caterers in Vienna.
-Bahur Tov Meat Resturant
-Shefa Market. Fully Stocked Grocery Store, and Dairy Cafe

Synagogue:
-
Ohel Moshe
-Mizrachi am Judenplatz. They have daily minyanim
-Templegasse (Earliest Minyan)

Things to Do:
-Kaver of the Chasam Sofer in Bratislava is only a hour out of Vienna. Please note that the memorial is closed most of the year but can be opened by appointment. Call +421-948-554442 or email memorial@znoba.sk to make an appointment.
-Jewish tour in midtown
-Beautiful Streets -Kaertner Strasse, Mariahilfer Strasse, Der Ring. In the inner city with great stores (clothing, etc), cafes and old buildings that make it lots of fun to stroll around in.
-Museum of Sound
-Shonbrunn palace (district 13) this is the main residence of kaiser franz joseph (who happened to be agreat friend of the jews). the property is larger than the whole of Monaco.  It is a 5 minute subway ride From district 3 which is where the CAT train (takes 16 minutes from the airport) drops you off if you are coming from the airport.
-KUNSTHISTORISCHES Museum - is an art museum but it also has many objects that were made for the Habsburg emporers
-IMPERIAL PALACE- it's in hofburg which was the center of the Habsburg empire. Today in the palace there are 3 museums about the life of the imperial court. 1. The Imperial Apartments with their original furnishings and decoration 2. the Sisi Museum about  the empress' life, and 3. the Imperial Silver Collection which contains a collection of tableware and other stuff from the habsburg dynasty.
1) (district 1, the center of town).

Hotels:
-Spg: Bristol
-Spg: Imperial
-Spg: Do&co
-Hyatt: Park Hyatt Vienna
-IHG: Intercontinental
-Hilton Plaza Vienna
-Spg: Le Meridien

Hotel Stefanie is very accommodating for Shabbos.. they have physical keys etc. And is around the corner from Ohel Moshe

Getting Around:
-Uber and Mytaxi (App)
-Vienna is a small city (although on the map it looks quite large) and has a great public transportation network which is easy to navigate.
-Driver - Motty Hammer 43 676 848044718

Notes:
-Eruv?  http://www.eruv.at.
« Last edited by yitzy93 on December 27, 2023, 08:12:52 PM »

Author Topic: Vienna Master Thread  (Read 120102 times)

Offline m65

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vienna Master Thread
« Reply #340 on: October 29, 2021, 12:51:59 AM »
Depending on you citizenship Slovakia may not let you in.
slovakia has plenty of neighbors who let u in and the land borders are open

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 29, 2021, 12:52:26 AM »
Anything special to know before traveling to Vienna?
planning to fly in from the USA

Need a PCR, vaccine, etc.?
vaccine or quarantine or fake ticket forward from a neighboring country

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 29, 2021, 11:53:51 AM »
slovakia has plenty of neighbors who let u in and the land borders are open
You are replying to a post from October 05, 2020, 09:34:13 AM
The situation changed since then

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 28, 2022, 04:33:28 PM »
Suggestions for 6 hour layover? I'm torn between going to the Chasam Sofer or strolling the city center and getting something to eat. Will any local kosher eatery deliver to the airport? Is there kosher food in any of the PP lounges?
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 26, 2022, 05:47:23 AM »
What's the current kosher restaurants situation here?
I'm told there are a few new places around.
Alefalef only opening at 5pm, would like to eat sooner
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline drsg

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 17, 2022, 06:48:41 PM »
Any suggestions for a tour guide for Jewish Vienna?

Offline mendoul

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Flying blue Gold Petroleum, BMI Gold, Accord hotel platinium, Avis gold, Aegean Gold
« Reply #346 on: August 23, 2022, 07:47:36 AM »
Is Alpen Karawanserai hotel still kosher ?
and do we have to reserve special kosher or its a kosher hotel the all year long ?
mendy

Offline ABC

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 23, 2022, 07:50:51 AM »
Is Alpen Karawanserai hotel still kosher ?
and do we have to reserve special kosher or its a kosher hotel the all year long ?

There’s no kosher summer program this year.

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 30, 2022, 07:42:54 PM »
Iyh staying for shabbos weekend of 10/1. Have nearly a full day Sunday to tour. I need help with hotel near heimishe shul, where to get shabbos food, and what to do Sunday with a toddler and preteen.
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline Ploni3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 30, 2022, 08:56:16 PM »
If you don't need point hotels, I'd suggest that you stay at the Hotel Imlauer. It is close to the shuls and kosher stores. There is a one stop Shefa kosher supermarket within  easy walking distance where you can get everything for Shabbos

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 31, 2022, 07:21:21 PM »
If you don't need point hotels, I'd suggest that you stay at the Hotel Imlauer. It is close to the shuls and kosher stores. There is a one stop Shefa kosher supermarket within  easy walking distance where you can get everything for Shabbos

Thanks! Any idea if there is a service that preps the whole shabbos for me (food wise)? Or if we could go out to eat since we won’t have a hot plate or anything like that. Besides for chasam soccer which we’ll try to do, what else is a must do in Vienna? Restaurants to try?

Offline Ploni3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 31, 2022, 07:59:53 PM »
Vienna is all about Sissy and the Habsburg family castles so it is worth it to seedome of that.  Also Mozart's house if that's of interest. We found Novellino (dairy) and Aleph Aleph (meat) good. AA has an all you can eat buffet Wednesday night.  Depending on the week they may have meals for shabbos you can prepay for and eat there but it depends on if the shul had a Simcha that is using the catering facilities. Otherwise you can get everything at Shefa supermarket. Other restaurants have the sefardi hashgacha so check it out with your LOR if you are Ashkenazi.

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 20, 2022, 06:30:56 AM »
How do i get to the chasam sofer if I’m not renting a car?

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 20, 2022, 06:37:26 AM »

Booked. Thanks. Where is the nearest Shul? Or something near alef alef?

Offline mliebs1457

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 20, 2022, 06:38:04 AM »

Check flixbus. They have busses that go very close to there

Offline ~King Lake~

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 20, 2022, 11:32:05 AM »
Taxi?
There are heimishe people there who offer car services as well
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 23, 2022, 08:53:33 AM »
Taxi?
There are heimishe people there who offer car services as well

any numbers come to mind?

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 25, 2022, 03:36:38 PM »
any numbers come to mind?
Motti Hammer

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 03, 2022, 03:45:28 PM »
Shabbos in Vienna TR

We landed Friday around 1pm and decided on the spot to rent a car rather than taxi to the hotel. Our calculation was like this: taxi to/from airport = €45~ one way, taxi to visit Chasam Sofer €130 r/t. Car rental = €170 + €60 for a car seat (plus gas, I know but still worth it for the comfort)

I’m Austria people drive the same as in the US so we just got an automatic and we’re on our way. Made it to Ohel Moshe bakery for some goodies l’koved Shabbos, grocery for snacks, drinks, and candles and headed to hotel Imlauer at the suggestion of the wiki. Parking is available on the street at the meter which is free shabbos/Sunday. Otherwise they have a garage at €24 a night.

Hotel was fine but wouldn’t be my top choice if I were to go again for a shabbos. Unavoidable automatic doors which they only shut off late Friday night and motion sensored lights everywhere including the stairwell. Our room was a 2 story suite and the stairs also had motion sensored lights which we couldn’t figure out how to shut down so we just stuck a tissue on the sensor and that solved that. They gave us a pack and play for my baby and even included a comfy mattress, little pillow, and blanket which was such a cute touch. Complimentary bottled water was available and a mini bar with drinks/snacks. The fridge has a light which couldn’t be shut off, unfortunately. We were able to use the hotel fridge tho.
Staff was nice and let us into our room after maid service closed the door on shabbos. They’re used to Jewish guests and she told me they left the doors open for us and offered to give me a lift in the elevator. I would still suggest an Airbnb for the future.
Location was perfect. Vienna is a pretty chasidish town and we saw lots of shtreimlach. Very peaceful and quiet. Typical European architecture.

Alef alef was closed this shabbos so we reserved meals at the local Chabad house. They had like 50 people and the rabbi said it’s “pretty empty” so I’m sure they have loads more on any other weekend. Food was great, well organized, and plentiful. Note that shalosh suedas was only served by the men on shabbos afternoon. We heard havdala there. FYI nothing is open motzei shabbos (maybe in the winter that changes. I don’t know)

On shabbos afternoon we took a long walk around beautiful huge park. Tons of grass and trees. Really pretty. Except that we kept searching for the playground and each time we asked anyone we were told it’s about a 10 minute walk “that way”. It’s really a massive park.

Sunday we checked out and went to ohel moshe bakery for coffee and croissants. So good. We walked about 10-15 minutes to Yudale for breakfast. It’s a middle eastern vibe restaurant with wait service and huge menu. We got penne, eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs/avocado, and shakshuka. All were delicious! Our total for this (plus 2 coffees and a limonana) was €64. Very well priced IMO.

We then drove an hour to the Chasam Sofer’s grave site and back in time to pick up some snacks/sandwiches for the plane and took off for Eretz Hakodesh l’koved Yom Tov. We just texted the shomer via WhatsApp an hour prior to arrival and he was there 10 minutes after we arrived to let us in.

After that we went back to Vienna to pick up dinner and left for the airport

Quick note: the only drinks that are kosher are the coke branded drinks and a peach drink called eis tee. Also, there is free wifi in nearly every store.

Last note: VIE is terrible at departures. I guess they think they’re more efficient by having less staff but excuse me, I am not part of your staff and I do not wish to tag and send my own luggage, thank you very much. AND after I was done (kvetching and cursing all the way), I was told that for business clas sI don’t have to do all that. Wouldn’t that have been nice to know?!? However, the lounge was nice. They have showers :)

I have a video of my hotel room if anyone wants to tell me how to add it…

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 03, 2022, 08:45:28 PM »
Shabbos in Vienna TR

We landed Friday around 1pm and decided on the spot to rent a car rather than taxi to the hotel. Our calculation was like this: taxi to/from airport = €45~ one way, taxi to visit Chasam Sofer €130 r/t. Car rental = €170 + €60 for a car seat (plus gas, I know but still worth it for the comfort)

I’m Austria people drive the same as in the US so we just got an automatic and we’re on our way. Made it to Ohel Moshe bakery for some goodies l’koved Shabbos, grocery for snacks, drinks, and candles and headed to hotel Imlauer at the suggestion of the wiki. Parking is available on the street at the meter which is free shabbos/Sunday. Otherwise they have a garage at €24 a night.

Hotel was fine but wouldn’t be my top choice if I were to go again for a shabbos. Unavoidable automatic doors which they only shut off late Friday night and motion sensored lights everywhere including the stairwell. Our room was a 2 story suite and the stairs also had motion sensored lights which we couldn’t figure out how to shut down so we just stuck a tissue on the sensor and that solved that. They gave us a pack and play for my baby and even included a comfy mattress, little pillow, and blanket which was such a cute touch. Complimentary bottled water was available and a mini bar with drinks/snacks. The fridge has a light which couldn’t be shut off, unfortunately. We were able to use the hotel fridge tho.
Staff was nice and let us into our room after maid service closed the door on shabbos. They’re used to Jewish guests and she told me they left the doors open for us and offered to give me a lift in the elevator. I would still suggest an Airbnb for the future.
Location was perfect. Vienna is a pretty chasidish town and we saw lots of shtreimlach. Very peaceful and quiet. Typical European architecture.

Alef alef was closed this shabbos so we reserved meals at the local Chabad house. They had like 50 people and the rabbi said it’s “pretty empty” so I’m sure they have loads more on any other weekend. Food was great, well organized, and plentiful. Note that shalosh suedas was only served by the men on shabbos afternoon. We heard havdala there. FYI nothing is open motzei shabbos (maybe in the winter that changes. I don’t know)

On shabbos afternoon we took a long walk around beautiful huge park. Tons of grass and trees. Really pretty. Except that we kept searching for the playground and each time we asked anyone we were told it’s about a 10 minute walk “that way”. It’s really a massive park.

Sunday we checked out and went to ohel moshe bakery for coffee and croissants. So good. We walked about 10-15 minutes to Yudale for breakfast. It’s a middle eastern vibe restaurant with wait service and huge menu. We got penne, eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs/avocado, and shakshuka. All were delicious! Our total for this (plus 2 coffees and a limonana) was €64. Very well priced IMO.

We then drove an hour to the Chasam Sofer’s grave site and back in time to pick up some snacks/sandwiches for the plane and took off for Eretz Hakodesh l’koved Yom Tov. We just texted the shomer via WhatsApp an hour prior to arrival and he was there 10 minutes after we arrived to let us in.

After that we went back to Vienna to pick up dinner and left for the airport

Quick note: the only drinks that are kosher are the coke branded drinks and a peach drink called eis tee. Also, there is free wifi in nearly every store.

Last note: VIE is terrible at departures. I guess they think they’re more efficient by having less staff but excuse me, I am not part of your staff and I do not wish to tag and send my own luggage, thank you very much. AND after I was done (kvetching and cursing all the way), I was told that for business clas sI don’t have to do all that. Wouldn’t that have been nice to know?!? However, the lounge was nice. They have showers :)

I have a video of my hotel room if anyone wants to tell me how to add it…
Next time, Hotel Stefanie is very accommodating for Shabbos.. they have physical keys etc. And is around the corner from Ohel Moshe