Topic Wiki

List of TR's: Drago, bigworld, jj1000,
yitzy93, Cbs, moish, chucksterace

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
Kosher Bakery - breakfast and lunch
-Alef Alef - Fleishig. Closed in the Afternoon. district 1 on juden gasse (jew street). Good place to eat on shabbos. Under the hashgacha of rabbi schwartz
-Ainhorn Butcher -Shawarma and Shnitzel. Under the hashgacha of rabbi schwartz
-Simchas Butcher
-Kosher Hotel in Saltzburg Austria.  Hotel Alpen Karawanserai not kosher anymore as of Jul 19, 2022 email from hotel
-Novellino       Dairy
-Shalom caterers in Vienna.
-Bahur Tov Meat Resturant
-Shefa Market. Fully Stocked Grocery Store, and Dairy Cafe

Synagogue:
-
Ohel Moshe
-Mizrachi am Judenplatz. They have daily minyanim
-Templegasse (Earliest Minyan)

Things to Do:
-Kaver of the Chasam Sofer in Bratislava is only a hour out of Vienna. Please note that the memorial is closed most of the year but can be opened by appointment. Call +421-948-554442 or email memorial@znoba.sk to make an appointment.
-Jewish tour in midtown
-Beautiful Streets -Kaertner Strasse, Mariahilfer Strasse, Der Ring. In the inner city with great stores (clothing, etc), cafes and old buildings that make it lots of fun to stroll around in.
-Museum of Sound
-Shonbrunn palace (district 13) this is the main residence of kaiser franz joseph (who happened to be agreat friend of the jews). the property is larger than the whole of Monaco.  It is a 5 minute subway ride From district 3 which is where the CAT train (takes 16 minutes from the airport) drops you off if you are coming from the airport.
-KUNSTHISTORISCHES Museum - is an art museum but it also has many objects that were made for the Habsburg emporers
-IMPERIAL PALACE- it's in hofburg which was the center of the Habsburg empire. Today in the palace there are 3 museums about the life of the imperial court. 1. The Imperial Apartments with their original furnishings and decoration 2. the Sisi Museum about  the empress' life, and 3. the Imperial Silver Collection which contains a collection of tableware and other stuff from the habsburg dynasty.
1) (district 1, the center of town).

Hotels:
-Spg: Bristol
-Spg: Imperial
-Spg: Do&co
-Hyatt: Park Hyatt Vienna
-IHG: Intercontinental
-Hilton Plaza Vienna
-Spg: Le Meridien

Hotel Stefanie is very accommodating for Shabbos.. they have physical keys etc. And is around the corner from Ohel Moshe

Getting Around:
-Uber and Mytaxi (App)
-Vienna is a small city (although on the map it looks quite large) and has a great public transportation network which is easy to navigate.
-Driver - Motty Hammer 43 676 848044718

Notes:
-Eruv?  http://www.eruv.at.
« Last edited by yitzy93 on December 27, 2023, 08:12:52 PM »

Author Topic: Vienna Master Thread  (Read 118277 times)

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Vienna Master Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »

Will hopefully have a full TR of my trip this weekend up sometime this week.. Pictures to follow..
Great! Looking forward

Offline sruly101

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2014, 12:06:23 PM »
Looking forward

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2014, 12:40:48 PM »
Thinking of trying out a new TR method of listing what i did, ate, etc and write it separately, then at the end list what i did when aka schedule. Or should i just write it by day and keep it shorter?
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline MC

• View Profile
Vienna Master Thread
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »
It's not a bad idea. But the real plus sides to the regular day by day version are:
-It reads more like a story, and
-It's a little more helpful if someone is planning a similar trip and wants to know how much to fit in a day.

ETA: just realized that said you would write the schedule. Never mind the above then. Just the story point - it makes it more interesting to read.

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »
It's not a bad idea. But the real plus sides to the regular day by day version are:
-It reads more like a story, and
-It's a little more helpful if someone is planning a similar trip and wants to know how much to fit in a day.

ETA: just realized that said you would write the schedule. Never mind the above then. Just the story point - it makes it more interesting to read.

Yea.. I am going to put in the schedule/story as well. Guess instead of putting my feedback reviews in the schedule story I will list them..

Now since I prob won't sleep tonight, two papers due Thursday and a final I need to practice for I will have it up by tomorrow morning, and if you get lucky maybe some photos
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline sruly101

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2014, 12:52:40 PM »
Yea.. I am going to put in the schedule/story as well. Guess instead of putting my feedback reviews in the schedule story I will list them..

Now since I prob won't sleep tonight, two papers due Thursday and a final I need to practice for I will have it up by tomorrow morning, and if you get lucky maybe some photos
Tnx

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2014, 12:58:44 PM »
Tnx

So far in word I am at a page long.. Oyy..

But I don't mind bc if I ever come back here I would have my references. I think I do these for myself more than anyone else just because it gives me a future reference shall I return

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2014, 12:59:43 PM »

Lol, one reason I'm glad I didn't find DDF till after college.

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
Lol, one reason I'm glad I didn't find DDF till after college.

lucky you.. going to be a fun night, atleast I will sleep on the plane

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2014, 05:46:49 PM »
Here is the Trip Report for my trip this past weekend. I am breaking it into two posts. One with the trip report and one with details about everything. Pictures coming later this week. Questions, concerns, or comments always appreciated..

Vienna Trip Report
11/27/14 to 11/30/14

Long ago when AA was having a pricing mistake on YQ charged I managed to snag two seats for my parents ORD-VIE and BUD-ORD with the routing of ORD-PHL-ZRH-VIE and BUD-LHR-PHL-ORD, about three weeks ago AA changed that to ORD-LHR-VIE and BUD-LHR-ORD which they accepted no issue. As nice as I am, I convinced my parents to stay at the Park Hyatt Vienna during their stay. And knowing how I love saving points and money I decided to take a trip and “crash” in their room for the weekend as well.

I landed into Vienna on Thursday, November 27 and from there went to the hotel, the Park Hyatt Vienna, to meet my parents for the weekend. After checking in we went around for a walk and to the Jewish community on the other side of the river to check out the kosher store and bakery. After those we went to dinner at the dairy restaurant Novellino. At that time, tired from traveling we decided to call it an early night.

The next day (Friday) we went to visit the Judenplatz Memorial and Museum. This took about an hour and a half to visit the memorial outside and walk around. The same ticket you buy here also allows entry for free to the other Jewish Museum. Second, we went on a tour of the Opera Building. Unfortunately we didn’t have anything good playing with our schedule or I would have seen something there. If you have the chance I would recommend seeing an opera, play, something there as it is an amazing building and they say one of the best in the world.  If you can’t manage to see something as well, I would recommend just taking the tour.

For Shabbat we walked to the Central Shul, which is about an eight-minute walk away from the hotel. After Davening we ate Friday night and Shabbat day lunch at Alef Alef that is right next door to the Shul. After lunch we walked around a bit. Soon thereafter Shabbat was over we went to Schoenbrunn Palace to see what it was like with the lights and market outside. We also went after to a little musical/concert there, which could be passed, as it was nothing special and over priced. To end Saturday night off perfectly I convinced myself to have a nice cigar and whiskey at the Hyatt’s “Living Room” lounge.

The next day, (Sunday), we went in the morning to Schoenbrunn Palace tour, the longer one, unless you are into audio guides, etc., then it might be a bit boring.. FYI, no point bringing a camera, no photos allowed and they are strict about it. Caught me a few times with my iPhone. After the palace we went back to Novellino for lunch (had to transfer trains but all in all took less than 15 minutes, cheaper and quicker than a taxi). After lunch we went back to the Jewish Museum and walked around there for around an hour, but could have used longer. Finally my parents went to get the train to Budapest and I got the train to the airport.

This is where I end. See the next post for details about each place.

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2014, 05:50:57 PM »
Details about places in Vienna:

Hotel: Park Hyatt Vienna (Category Six)
   To/from the hotel: There is a Subway station about a two-minute walk from the hotel. You would take the City Airport Train (CAT) to the city and then the subway to the exit. The price of the CAT train includes a ride in the city.
   Review: The hotel is amazing, simply put. The hotel is in an old bank and most of the layout stays the same and therefor has this special feel to it. We had the basic room and it was definitely bigger than European standards.
   Living Room: Inside the hotel they have a lounge they call the “Living Room”. They serve cigars and whisky in there (in addition to regular things) but those are the main items. Prices weren’t that bad for a cigars and it is definitely an enjoying time to chill and have a nice smoke.
     Shabbat: For some reason, the hotel staff knows about Shabbat (or at least some of it). When we needed them to open the door they already knew what we were talking about. As the hotel is only 6 floors high there is a stair case right next to the elevator that you can take up. However to get to that you would need to pass through a motion door so depending how you feel you can either wait for someone to walk through it opening it or **maybe there is another way, (I didn’t look).  Once you get upstairs you also need to use your keep to open the door to the main floor as each floor has a door between the elevator and the hallways.  With regards to the lights in the room there is one motion light but that can be disables with a call to engineering who will come up to unplug the fuse.

Restaurants: Alef Alef, Novellino,  & Random Kosher Bakery
     Novellino: Ate there Thursday for dinner and Sunday for lunch. Food was good to great, wouldn’t call it amazing. We tried a few things, the pizza, lasagna, spaghetti w/ sauce and cheese, potato gnocchi w/ sauce and cheese, mozzarella sticks, soup (minestrone and onion), and finally tiramisu cake. They were all good, I would say the lasagna was not the best and that I would probably pass then next time, as well as the pizza as it could have been cooked more and better. (15 min walk)
     Alef Alef: Ate Shabbat dinner and lunch here. For the meals it is 30 Euro a person per meal. Friday night they started off with around 5-6 different salads on the table, then gave out fish (one piece of salmon, one piece of gefilte fish), then they served a soup – plain broth with one matzo ball, for main dish they served a choice of beef, veal or chicken, I choose the chicken and was quite happy with it. (8 min walk)
For Shabbat lunch they started off with the same salads and then fish. After the fish they bought out a plate with a scoop of liver and egg salad, finally they served some beany cholent and kugel with a family style plate of chicken and meat strips.
Both meals they had bottles of water on the tablet and would replace it when empty. For desert it was fresh fruit at night and ice cream or fruit during the day.
     Bakery: A couple blocks away from Novellino is a small kosher bakery. Stopped there before Shabbat and picked up a few things. The cakes and snacks were decent and nothing to complain about. (12 min walk)

Shul: Central Synagogue
   The walk to the Central Synagogue from the Park Hyatt is about 8 minutes, a quick and easy walk. The Shul is beautiful and especially nice. There is a cop standing at both sides of the street and the Shul has their own security by the entrance. It is recommended to bring your passports and there is an Eiruv.  Friday night Davening was quick, less than an hour, Shabbat morning Davening started at 9 and ended around 11:30 with a small sit down Kiddush, a piece of cake, kugel and a drink. (8 min walk)

Activities:

Judenplatz Memorial and Museum: Would recommend going to. (2 min walk)
     Jewish Museum: Would recommend. (8 min walk)
     Opera Building and/or Tour: Would recommend the tour. If you have time go see something that is playing there. (12 min walk)
     Schoenbrunn Palace Tour: I wasn’t really into the audio guide but if you can manage those and have patience then I would recommend it. Otherwise just a quick walk through it. (Drive or 2 trains)
     Schoenbrunn Concert: Pass (drive or 2 trains)
     Hofburg Palace: Just walked outside and saw the balcony Hitler stood on 1938 and announces Austria into the Nazi party or something like that. If you are up for a chill then you can go see it. (8 min walk)
**All times are from the Park Hyatt

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2014, 05:52:16 PM »
So when did you tell your parents that you were crashing in on them, or was it a surprise?

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »
So when did you tell your parents that you were crashing in on them, or was it a surprise?

As soon as they booked the hotel.. My dad was sitting on the two free night certs.. And I told him to book this one and then say "Hey, guess I might as well come"

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2014, 08:00:56 PM »
Anyone here has experience with a full day stopover in VIE on Austrian airlines JFK-VIE-TLV, will the bags be checked all the way through, or I'll have to pick them up and recheck?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »
@chuck
Thanks for the TR.
I love Vienna as a city, I didn't know that you are from there!

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2014, 08:04:14 PM »
Anyone here has experience with a full day stopover in VIE on Austrian airlines JFK-VIE-TLV, will the bags be checked all the way through, or I'll have to pick them up and recheck?
I don't have experience with OS but usually it's ok

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2014, 08:09:11 PM »
@chuck
Thanks for the TR.
I love Vienna as a city, I didn't know that you are from there!

Ummm, I am not from  there. How'd you get that impression.

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2014, 08:12:12 PM »
Ummm, I am not from  there. How'd you get that impression.
I though that this

Says you're father resides over there.
Guess I'm wrong

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »
I though that this
 Says you're father resides over there.
Guess I'm wrong

Nope. Read my first main paragraph.

Long ago when AA was having a pricing mistake on YQ charged I managed to snag two seats for my parents ORD-VIE and BUD-ORD with the routing of ORD-PHL-ZRH-VIE and BUD-LHR-PHL-ORD, about three weeks ago AA changed that to ORD-LHR-VIE and BUD-LHR-ORD which they accepted no issue. As nice as I am, I convinced my parents to stay at the Park Hyatt Vienna during their stay. And knowing how I love saving points and money I decided to take a trip and “crash” in their room for the weekend as well.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2014, 08:26:40 PM »
I don't have experience with OS but usually it's ok
Here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=42415.0 someone reported otherwise with different airlines. Anyway to verify with OS?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.