Author Topic: SPG Bonus Question/4 Amex Card Limit?  (Read 8379 times)

Offline newdanfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
SPG Bonus Question/4 Amex Card Limit?
« on: September 09, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
Last year, I applied for and received the SPG Business and Consumer cards in August 2012.  I also have a Amex Delta open for a few years now.

A week or so ago, I did a 3BM where I again applied for the SPG Business, SPG Consumer, and Gold cards.  I was approved for the SPG Business (even though I have the same card already) and the Gold Card.  However, I received an email that I need to call to discuss the SPG Consumer.  When I called, I was told 2 things that didn't sound right to me, so I wanted to clarify with the experts here:

1) I was told that there is a 4 card limit on Amex cards, so I can't be approved for an additional card no matter what it is.  This doesn't make sense to me, because after my current approval, I already have 5 cards (2x SPG Business, SPG consumer, Delta, and Gold).  It also sounds like many members here have way more than 4 cards as well.  Is this is a new policy?  Is there a way around this?  The only way I was told that I could get approval would be cancelling one of my other cards.  They wouldn't agree to move some credit from one to the other because the issue was opening another card.

2) I was told that even if I do get this card, I'm not eligible for the 30,000 bonus points promotion because I already have an SPG card open from 2012.  Is this correct?  Does that mean that on the SPG Business that I got approved for again, I will not be receiving the 30,000 promotion?  This is why I signed up for the card, so this would be really frustrating.

Any advice and help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: SPG Bonus Question/4 Amex Card Limit?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »
Last year, I applied for and received the SPG Business and Consumer cards in August 2012.  I also have a Amex Delta open for a few years now.

A week or so ago, I did a 3BM where I again applied for the SPG Business, SPG Consumer, and Gold cards.  I was approved for the SPG Business (even though I have the same card already) and the Gold Card.  However, I received an email that I need to call to discuss the SPG Consumer.  When I called, I was told 2 things that didn't sound right to me, so I wanted to clarify with the experts here:

1) I was told that there is a 4 card limit on Amex cards, so I can't be approved for an additional card no matter what it is.  This doesn't make sense to me, because after my current approval, I already have 5 cards (2x SPG Business, SPG consumer, Delta, and Gold).  It also sounds like many members here have way more than 4 cards as well.  Is this is a new policy?  Is there a way around this?  The only way I was told that I could get approval would be cancelling one of my other cards.  They wouldn't agree to move some credit from one to the other because the issue was opening another card.

2) I was told that even if I do get this card, I'm not eligible for the 30,000 bonus points promotion because I already have an SPG card open from 2012.  Is this correct?  Does that mean that on the SPG Business that I got approved for again, I will not be receiving the 30,000 promotion?  This is why I signed up for the card, so this would be really frustrating.

Any advice and help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
1) The 4 card limit is accurate, but does not apply to charge cards.
2) CMIIW, SPG needs to be closed for a year prior to churn.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 04:02:17 PM »
That seems to be the new rule. If the card has not been closed for a year, you will not get the bonus.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline SrulyP

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Emerald EE; Hertz five star; Avis Five Star
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »
That seems to be the new rule. If the card has not been closed for a year, you will not get the bonus.

I applied for the SPG card last week.  I already have a SPG card but when when i applied i first signed up for a new SPG number and put that number in when applying for the second card. Will i get the bonus?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:48:21 PM »
I applied for the SPG card last week.  I already have a SPG card but when when i applied i first signed up for a new SPG number and put that number in when applying for the second card. Will i get the bonus?
It really is YMMV. I wish you the best.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline SrulyP

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Emerald EE; Hertz five star; Avis Five Star
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:54 PM »
It really is YMMV. I wish you the best.
is there any way to find out or do i just have to do the minimum spend and hope for the best?

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:38:20 PM »
Hope for the best and see if the system automatically posts your points after meeting spend.

Offline newdanfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »

How is that people like Dan and others have numerous SPG cards at the same time?  Why would they apply for more of them if you don't get the bonuses?

Is there any way to still get these bonus points?  That's the only reason I applied for the cards.  I wouldn't have taken a credit hit without the points.  This is so frustrating.  I did not understand that in all of Dan's talks about churning.  Any ideas?

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 07:20:39 PM »
is there any way to find out or do i just have to do the minimum spend and hope for the best?

swipe a $1 and see if you get the first 10k. If yes then Id say go for the full $5k
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »
-1, better shot at the 20k than the 10k.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »

why?
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »
Because ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline newdanfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 11:34:17 PM »

Dan, can you respond:

How is that people like Dan and others have numerous SPG cards at the same time?  Why would they apply for more of them if you don't get the bonuses?

Is there any way to still get these bonus points?  That's the only reason I applied for the cards.  I wouldn't have taken a credit hit without the points.  This is so frustrating.  I did not understand that in all of Dan's talks about churning.  Any ideas?

Offline raphy781

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 01:25:38 AM »
Dan, can you respond:

Rule number 1: DO NOT REQUEST THAT DAN ANSWER YOUR QUESTION OR IT WILL NOT BE ANSWERED!!!

Offline SrulyP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 10:28:50 AM »

Dan I am a little confused... What is the 20k? i signed up for the 30k bonus. When you mention the number 20k, do you just be the added bonus for the $5k spend?

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 11:50:57 AM »
Dan I am a little confused... What is the 20k? i signed up for the 30k bonus. When you mention the number 20k, do you just mean the added bonus for the $5k spend?
Yes.

Offline SrulyP

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »
Yes.
Thanks. Now can someone explain why this is?

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 09:48:14 AM »
Thanks. Now can someone explain why this is?
Just the way their system is set up. Seems to be better at blocking churners for the 10k than the 20k.

Offline SrulyP

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »
Okay can I get a little bit of advice in light of all these things.

Here is the breakdown....

I currently have 4 Amex cards bluesky, delta, and 2 spg. I would like to get approved for a hilton card that i applied for but they said i first have to close down one of my other cards. I would like to merge my SPG cards... but in order to do this i have some questions.

(when i applied for the new SPG card i first made myself a new spg #. So i now have 2 SPG CC with 2 starwoods numbers)

1) if i would close down the old one and only leaving the new one in order to hopefully get the 30k signup bonus) do i lose all the SPG points from the old card?

2) I was status matched to Gold status on the old SPG card until 2015. Is there anyway to close old SPG card and not lose the status and then after i get the signup bonus on the new SPG account merge my two starwoos accounts (merge the new one with the old one in order to get gold status on the starwoods account i have associated with my new SPG CC?

3) is it even worth doing all this, what are the chances of even getting the new signup bonus, since i already have an active card?

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to help me with this.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »
Okay can I get a little bit of advice in light of all these things.

Here is the breakdown....

I currently have 4 Amex cards bluesky, delta, and 2 spg. I would like to get approved for a hilton card that i applied for but they said i first have to close down one of my other cards. I would like to merge my SPG cards... but in order to do this i have some questions.

(when i applied for the new SPG card i first made myself a new spg #. So i now have 2 SPG CC with 2 starwoods numbers)

1) if i would close down the old one and only leaving the new one in order to hopefully get the 30k signup bonus) do i lose all the SPG points from the old card?

2) I was status matched to Gold status on the old SPG card until 2015. Is there anyway to close old SPG card and not lose the status and then after i get the signup bonus on the new SPG account merge my two starwoos accounts (merge the new one with the old one in order to get gold status on the starwoods account i have associated with my new SPG CC?

3) is it even worth doing all this, what are the chances of even getting the new signup bonus, since i already have an active card?

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to help me with this.
1) If the points have been posted to SPG already, you will not lose them.
3) YMMV, see above few posts.