Author Topic: Amex let me back in after settlement!  (Read 8910 times)

Offline yankel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Amex let me back in after settlement!
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:08:14 AM »
I know its generally not they type of thing discussed in the DD community, where everyone pays their bills on time , and even sometimes twice a month in order to achieve a better credit score. Nevertheless this may be interesting to some of the readers out there who have previously fallen on financial hard times and have not been able to pay their CC bills.

I had four accounts with Amex, two business and two personal. The highest was my Amex blue card with approx 10k balance, my starwood had 500$, my business starwood another 500, and finally a simply cash business card with 950$. I also had two cards with chase, and one with citi, which I did not settle and chose to stick with the minimum payments. ( chase and citi only added up to 1,500)

My timelines are approximate and from my memory.

4.   4 years ago stopped paying.
3.   settled about 3 years ago
2.   had OASIS card for 1 year
1.   put myself as wife's au for plat for a year
      Presently: got approved for starwood business 5k cc limit.

About 5 years ago when the financial crisis started I had a 50k credit line with amex so 10k on a low interest rate didnt bother me that much. Suddenly they cut me down to 10k leaving my credit utilization at 100%, this caused all my other CC to be cut as well, following that most of the cards int rates where raised to 28%. (this practice has since been made illegal for past purchases, but only for personal not business cards).

Suddenly I couldn't afford even the minimum monthly payments on the amex. After about 1 year of scraping together for the monthly payments I gave up and stopped paying.

I left it like that for about a year , at which point I was in much better financial shape. Since my credit was messed up with amex anyway I figured there was no point in giving them the full amount. I settled all the cards for 30 cents on the dollar, saving myself about 7.5k. The only exception was the last card, the simply cash business card with 950 balance. With this card I had gotten a letter saying that if I paid the full amount they would give me the OASIS card with 500 credit line. I figured it was worth the extra investment for the chance to get back with amex.

Just a few months after settlement with amex, I started getting approved for chase cards ( I bank with them and have a little "pull" with chase) Still, I would usually have to go to recon to get a card approved, they always ask about the amex settlements, I tell them that amex had agreed to drop the "fees", and that's why it showed accounts as settled, but really I payed the full balance. I always pointed out that even amex didnt consider me a credit risk as I still had open account with them. (the oasis card)  I now have about 40 k credit with chase, with very low utilization. At this point my experian"real" score is 680.

Finally, two weeks ago I applied for the starwood business card (30k signup bonus)  I used a real corporate id number, but they still ask for the "business owners" social. I had no choice I gave my social. application was not instantly approved, I didn't even bother calling recon.

Imagine my surprise when a week later the card arrived in the mail! I checked and see that they did run a credit check on my personal experian. When I called up to create an online profile my old profile showed up, showing that I still owed those previous balances! I chose to create a new profile, but it still says: member since 2005 ( my original join date).

How long do I wait to start churning?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
Re: Amex let me back in after settlement!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »
It is great that you were able to bring yourself back from the point of nothing to getting approved for the SPG card. IMHO, i would take it slow with Amex until you personally start building a better history with them.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

Offline Racer7400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »
Wow. Thanx for sharing, this might give some people I know some hope.

Offline fredlys

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 05:57:04 PM »
I have a 790 credit score with FICO. I have at least 7 or 8 cards with chase with over a 100K credit line that is underutilized with never a late payment. I have a citibank aa card with a 40k line since  aprox. 1990 with perfect payments. I  recently got a Barclays card.
 In 1994 I was a VP of sales for a company that filed 11 and was the primary cardholder for an amex card. The amount was 25K. It was never paid and eventually was written off and does not show anywhere in any of my credit reports. I finally decided to apply for a starwood card about 2 weeks ago and was turned down originally and by reconsideration 19 years after the incident. They claimed the money was still owed and they would settle for 19K.  I made a small offer which was rejected along with my application for reconsideration.
Should I forget about Amex? I certainly would like to have the card.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:07:59 PM »
Cool story. Good job!

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:17:07 PM »
You're much better off asking these questions on a forum which specializes in this
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline real-brisker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 07:38:26 PM »
Kol Hakavod!

Offline fredlys

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:07:42 PM »
Can you suggest such a forum?

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 11:10:42 PM »
Amazing!
You didn't try repairing your credit at all?

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 11:11:57 PM »
Can you suggest such a forum?
credit boards

Offline yankel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 11:41:54 PM »
Amazing!
You didn't try repairing your credit at all?
I tried my hand a little at credit repairing, I wasnt successful though. I tried sending good faith letters to amex credit to take of the "settled for less than full".  Didn't have success, though I only tried once. The rep told me that it is easier to dispute the business cards, just send a letter explaining that you weren't responsible, for this business  (though you may have legally been responsible) I may get around to doing this eventually, prob not necessary at this point though.

Offline yankel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 11:44:42 PM »
I have a 790 credit score with FICO. I have at least 7 or 8 cards with chase with over a 100K credit line that is underutilized with never a late payment. I have a citibank aa card with a 40k line since  aprox. 1990 with perfect payments. I  recently got a Barclays card.
 In 1994 I was a VP of sales for a company that filed 11 and was the primary cardholder for an amex card. The amount was 25K. It was never paid and eventually was written off and does not show anywhere in any of my credit reports. I finally decided to apply for a starwood card about 2 weeks ago and was turned down originally and by reconsideration 19 years after the incident. They claimed the money was still owed and they would settle for 19K.  I made a small offer which was rejected along with my application for reconsideration.
Should I forget about Amex? I certainly would like to have the card.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

19k for 25k is a joke. especially since your are way past the statute of limitations. plus you are still not guaranteed that they take you have the blacklist.
try calling the amex executive number: 8002976197.

Offline yankel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 11:45:41 PM »
19k for 25k is a joke. especially since your are way past the statute of limitations. plus you are still not guaranteed that they take you have the blacklist.
try calling the amex executive number: 8002976197.

Read: you are still not guaranteed that they take you off the blacklist

Offline DVD

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »
Cool story. Good job!

Was it a business or a corporate card?

Offline askmoses

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 06:24:54 PM »
Nice to hear this story! Good job and well done!

Offline DVD

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 02:34:09 AM »
If you decide to settle you should talk to your accountant about seeing if you can take some kind of deduction.