Author Topic: Nexus 4 Master Thread  (Read 13826 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Nexus 4 Master Thread
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »
I just got the Nexus 4 a couple days ago. I would like to write about some of the features and shortcomings of the phone and any fix if I found one. I'm not writing much about the pros of this phone as I really am looking for some advice, and it's also far easier to notice and remember what bothers you as opposed to what you like.

Hardware
The phone is speedy and works great. I don't feel any of the android lag that I've felt on the Galaxy S4. That could be because I'm running stock android and Samsung Touchwiz is junk, but the specs still gotta be good to run this fast. The camera is decent but definitely not as good as an iPhone 5 or even 4s.  Power button is a bit hard to find when you're fumbling for your phone.

The phone itself is massive for me. After a couple of days, I'm still fumbling with the phone for a few seconds every time I try to get in a comfortable position. At this point I feel that the only "right" way to hold this phone is with two hands. The screen is too big for my fingers to easily reach the top without making adjustments first. The screen size is also a problem when the skin between my thumb and index touches the screen when reaching for the top.

The phone is very slippery. I'm scared that it'll fall outta my hands one day and break. It kept sliding off the very wide flat edge of the bathtub when I put it down in the bathroom. I guess I would need to find a case that has good grip but doesn't make the phone larger.

Software
Knowing that I have the latest version of android is a major plus for me. Without it, I would lose the advantage over iOS of having android customization out of the box. Because I once i need to root an android, I can just as easily get an iPhone, jailbreak it and customize it with the same amount of work.

The overall OS works really well, it's not too quick or too slow. I experienced a couple of bugs like having a widget stuck in the search bar (actually a pretty good feature if it wasn't so ugly) and not being able to slide apps from screen to screen. Resetting the phone fixed both.

Is there any way to delete all the unused home screens? I hate having blank screens and I like having the screens set up like on an iPhone.

Toggles for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are hard to get to, don't lead you to settings (eg. double click on Wi-Fi to see available networks) and uncustomizable. Fixed this with Power Toggles.

Dialer has backspace on top. Any normal dialer should have it on the bottom. Especially on a large phone.

Contacts in the dialer is different than the standalone people app. The standalone app is much nicer and cleaner. They look completely different but both have no customization features at all. Very annoying as you can't get rid of pictures for contacts and and can't get rid of frequent and favorite callers.

Navigation is much easier on the nexus than on my previous android phones. I always hates the back button but Google started making the actions it takes a lot simpler and predictable.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:36:02 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline satturn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Kotel Security Pass
Re: Nexus 4 Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:15:38 AM »
was looking into this phone- $200 on Google play. but out of stock for the 8gb.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 12:49:48 PM »
was looking into this phone- $200 on Google play. but out of stock for the 8gb.

Many people say that 8 GB isn't enough. It runs out too quick and there no way to expand. $50 more and you leave yourself without worries.
Visibly Jewish

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »
Many people say that 8 GB isn't enough. It runs out too quick and there no way to expand. $50 more and you leave yourself without worries.

+1 Unless you're seriously not downloading apps and storing music and pictures I recommend most people by larger than 8gb. Though potentially you could get by with storing all your pics and music etc to a cloud storage but that can get pretty annoying.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 07:07:18 PM »
The phone is very slippery. I'm scared that it'll fall outta my hands one day and break. It kept sliding off the very wide flat edge of the bathtub when I put it down in the bathroom. I guess I would need to find a case that has good grip but doesn't make the phone larger.

Update: Finding it be more slippery than I originally thought. 
It slides off my leg while sitting, it'll slide off just about any surface, even flat, if it doesn't have grip on it.
I'm not the first to complain either http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/230713-slippery-back-funny-observation.html

Finding developer mode by mistake was cool. Go to "about phone" in settings, scroll to the last option, click a bunch of times until it puts you in developer mode.
Visibly Jewish

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »
Update: Finding it be more slippery than I originally thought. 
It slides off my leg while sitting, it'll slide off just about any surface, even flat, if it doesn't have grip on it.
I'm not the first to complain either http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/230713-slippery-back-funny-observation.html

Finding developer mode by mistake was cool. Go to "about phone" in settings, scroll to the last option, click a bunch of times until it puts you in developer mode.

Yeah,  a lot of reviewers had that to say about the Nexus 4. It's a shame because the device itself is really nice and who wants to stick a case on their phone? But if that were my phone I might be compelled to start using one.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »

Works in the Galaxy Nexus too.

Offline AnonymousUser

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
Works in the Galaxy Nexus too.
I think it work on any (stock?) JB. It works for me on CM10.1 on my Droid 4.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 08:01:02 PM »
Works on my Sprint HTC One as well.

Offline refoel.m

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »
The new nexus is coming out very soon, so i would recommend to wait for it, its probably much more expensive though.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:04:07 PM »
The new nexus is coming out very soon, so i would recommend to wait for it, its probably much more expensive though.

Too late ;D
Visibly Jewish

Offline DanH

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
For tech help feel free to Telegram me @DanTechSupp

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 09:33:47 AM »
It must've been old stock what they were selling. According to a blog I read, Google quietly took care of the slipping problem maybe 5-6 months ago by adding tiny rubber nubs on the sides of the nexus 4. The phone I ordered didn't have them.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 10:01:53 PM »
I was upset that the ringtones on the phone are horrible, but I was shocked that Google doesn't allow you to choose your own ringtone when their own offerings stink. After some googling I found that I could download a ringtone and with a file manager I could put it in the right folder.
Visibly Jewish

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »
Anyone have one to sell?
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline satturn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 04:55:01 AM »
anyone run into the problem that if you send many messages in a short amount of time it gives you a warning before sending each one? I read about it online in a few places. Anyone know a workaround? I dont get mine here in Israel for a few days, and i mass text to a large group pretty often, which would be a killer for me if i had to do it manually.

Offline DanH

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 08:33:32 AM »
anyone run into the problem that if you send many messages in a short amount of time it gives you a warning before sending each one? I read about it online in a few places. Anyone know a workaround? I dont get mine here in Israel for a few days, and i mass text to a large group pretty often, which would be a killer for me if i had to do it manually.
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/disable-the-jelly-bean-sms-warning-on-the-galaxy-nexus/
For tech help feel free to Telegram me @DanTechSupp

Offline satturn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 09:19:43 AM »

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 10:17:44 AM »
found that also- but it requires a root... not sure i want to go there yet.

It doesn't require root. Read the thread they linked to- the OP and last post on the first page. I understood that the 2nd link in the OP would be the right version for the nexus 4.
Visibly Jewish