Topic Wiki

List of TR's: Moishy, Something Fishy, whYME, Cat In The Hat and https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=109355.0

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:in style....

Notes: Bring Cash. CC's aren't really a thing there..... You might be able to get away without changing money. American dollars are accepted most places with a .13 charge per dollar.

Please Update the Wiki
« Last edited by Yuey on December 24, 2019, 03:49:02 AM »

Author Topic: Cuba Master Thread  (Read 69425 times)

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: cuba master thread
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2016, 12:08:51 AM »
I need to find his info, I'll post it in a bit.

In the meantime, what's your routing?
Flying on United EWR to Nassau and then connecting 3 hours later on Cubana to Havana. I know Cubana doesn't have a great reputation but it's a short flight and hoping all will work out. Return is through Cancun. Cubana to Cancun and then Dynamic airways to JFK. Total ticket cost was 610 so not to crazy.

I didn't want to go in through Mexico as I was told I'd have to clear Mexican customs and I didn't want issues with my food. This way I just have the Cubans to worry about.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2016, 12:30:54 AM »
Flying on United EWR to Nassau and then connecting 3 hours later on Cubana to Havana. I know Cubana doesn't have a great reputation but it's a short flight and hoping all will work out. Return is through Cancun. Cubana to Cancun and then Dynamic airways to JFK. Total ticket cost was 610 so not to crazy.

I didn't want to go in through Mexico as I was told I'd have to clear Mexican customs and I didn't want issues with my food. This way I just have the Cubans to worry about.

Wish I could've gotten a chance to fly Cubana, but they aren't exactly in *A yet ;D...

Have your affidavit and visa info sorted out yet?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2016, 12:42:33 AM »
So glad you are warning me about the car rental. I am definitely going to cancel my reservation. Wow. Do you know of any reasonable drivers for getting around?

Email Elvis at noe72@nauta.cu. We hired him to take us to Vinales for the day and were very happy. Very fun guy.

Plus he drives a smashing '53 Dodge:

You won't find too many cars that use a dipstick and a hole in the trunk to gauge fuel, but have a dash-mounted TV .

Now as far as Trinidad, are you sure you want to do that? Personally, I would recommend Vinales instead. Aside from being closer to Havana, it's radically different as well. Trinidad is lovely, but is still quite similar to Havana. Old cars, colorful buildings, and the like. Sure there's more of a country feel and the cobblestones add a unique charm, but it's not a world apart. Vinales on the other hand is 180 degrees from Havana. Rural, more oxen and donkeys than cars, stunning little towns and farmhouses, and astonishing natural beauty (see above picture).

Trinidad is a different flavor of Havana; Vinales is a completely different world.

Think about it.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2016, 11:04:36 AM »
Definitely going to give Vinales some thought. Looks really cool. I don't see how I'd get in the scuba diving that way however the trip isn't about the diving!

I didn't do any work on the affidavit. I was under the impression I can self license my "support for the Cuban people" trip. What do I need to do beforehand?

I am game for a ride in that car  :) Hard to beat - I sent him an email.

Offline yitzyul

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2016, 10:12:29 PM »
Definitely going to give Vinales some thought. Looks really cool. I don't see how I'd get in the scuba diving that way however the trip isn't about the diving!

I didn't do any work on the affidavit. I was under the impression I can self license my "support for the Cuban people" trip. What do I need to do beforehand?

I am game for a ride in that car  :) Hard to beat - I sent him an email.

When are you going, because would love some tips? SOmething Fishy helped allot but I'm still so lost. I am looking to go in a few weeks hopefully If I can figure out logistics and stuff as I am horrible at it!

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2016, 12:56:31 PM »
Would 3.5 days be enough in cuba , just to see the sights and possibly some beach (and of course meet the Jewish community) or do I need more time? I was thinking of possibly going via a one day stopover in Panama and still want to be back before Shabbos?

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »
Would 3.5 days be enough in cuba , just to see the sights and possibly some beach (and of course meet the Jewish community) or do I need more time? I was thinking of possibly going via a one day stopover in Panama and still want to be back before Shabbos?

That was exactly my schedule, totally doable. I hope to go back for longer in the fall/early winter, but 3.5 days on the ground is definitely enough to see the sights.

You may want to be careful about the beach (see my post here).

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »
That was exactly my schedule, totally doable. I hope to go back for longer in the fall/early winter, but 3.5 days on the ground is definitely enough to see the sights.

+1 we had 3 days and felt it was adequate as well. That being said I would totally go back.

I wouldn't bother with the beaches there unless you have a lot of time as you can go to the beach anywhere. My opinion would be not to spend Shabbos there and just skip the beach. It's really hot there now so you may be better off not being there Shabbos in any case.

Regarding getting there you can route through the Bahamas, Mexico or the Cayman islands. Check the national carrier for each of those countries and see when they fly etc. Interjet also flies from Cancun. Your best bet will likely be Cancun.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
Don't forget the Air China flight from YUL, I saw some really good rates this week.

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2016, 02:55:29 PM »

Regarding getting there you can route through the Bahamas, Mexico or the Cayman islands. Check the national carrier for each of those countries and see when they fly etc. Interjet also flies from Cancun. Your best bet will likely be Cancun.
Is there a reason why not to fly directly there from either NY (very limited flights) or Miami? is that because of cost? or afraid of not getting pre check?

Problem is that any routing options I find, I now want to go there as well  ;)....Copa had with stop in Panama now I wondering if 1 day in Panama is enough..lol...Thru Cayman Islands....Yikes I will need a few day stopover and im trying to do everything within 1 week to avoid shabbos
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:58:42 PM by yitzyul »

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »

Did you book that using miles? copa Via united over the phone? online they don't allow to HAV.  and can that be considered a stopover so its only 30K on J?

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2016, 05:15:06 PM »
Did you book that using miles? copa Via united over the phone? online they don't allow to HAV.  and can that be considered a stopover so its only 30K on J?

United can't book HAV, even through the Mexico office. We used 60k SQ for RT J on Copa.

Being that CM J is basically UA domestic F, you may want to consider using 35k SQ for Y instead.

Either way, you also get a free domestic stopover with SQ.

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2016, 08:27:12 PM »
Being that CM J is basically UA domestic F, you may want to consider using 35k SQ for Y instead.

Either way, you also get a free domestic stopover with SQ.

Can I book SQ all the way to HAV or only to Panama? If yes I check availability on Copa?
If only to Panama,  tickets from Panama-HAV are ridiculous expensive unless I purchase from NY

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »
Can I book SQ all the way to HAV or only to Panama? If yes I check availability on Copa?
If only to Panama,  tickets from Panama-HAV are ridiculous expensive unless I purchase from NY

All the way through. Check availability on Lifemiles (select Copa, don't rely on the auto feature).

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2016, 05:49:59 PM »
All the way through. Check availability on Lifemiles (select Copa, don't rely on the auto feature).
I know I'm getting off topic, so hopefully last one. If availability on Lifemiles I transfer SPG to SQ (or is there another points that I can use?) then call SQ to book? and how do I add an extra leg?  I would book JFK-PTY-HAV   HAV-PTY-JFK-LAX (a few months out)?
 Im assuming the amount of miles Lifemiles is quoting would be less with SQ?

Thanks tons for all your help!

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: Cuba Master Thread
« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2016, 05:55:03 PM »
I know I'm getting off topic, so hopefully last one. If availability on Lifemiles I transfer SPG to SQ (or is there another points that I can use?) then call SQ to book? and how do I add an extra leg?  I would book JFK-PTY-HAV   HAV-PTY-JFK-LAX (a few months out)?
 Im assuming the amount of miles Lifemiles is quoting would be less with SQ?

Thanks tons for all your help!

MR and UR transfer to SQ as well.

For the stopover you book JFK-PTY-HAV//HAV-PTY-JFK//NYC-XXX.

I think that LM will be the same amount as SQ, but it doesn't matter. You just need availability from there, but the price.

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 11, 2016, 06:11:44 PM »
MR and UR transfer to SQ as well.

For the stopover you book JFK-PTY-HAV//HAV-PTY-JFK//NYC-XXX.

I think that LM will be the same amount as SQ, but it doesn't matter. You just need availability from there, but the price.
Do I have to do that on the phone for the stopover? as well as to extend the stopover in PTY?  If yes easier with Life miles or SQ?

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2016, 06:13:08 PM »
Do I have to do that on the phone for the stopover? as well as to extend the stopover in PTY?  If yes easier with Life miles or SQ?

Partners always have to be booked on the phone with SQ. No idea if LM is better or worse, I've never really looked into it.

What do you mean "extend the stopover on PTY"?

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2016, 06:16:09 PM »
Partners always have to be booked on the phone with SQ. No idea if LM is better or worse, I've never really looked into it.

Online was only allowing a short stopover and wasn't allowing me an option to stay longer in PTY.  If I have to do it over the phone anyway Its a non-issue.

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2016, 10:11:25 PM »

Can you do it on a one way such as, HAV-PTY-JFK//NYC-XXX?
and if the nyc-xxx? route does not show business availability do you go on waiting list?