Topic Wiki

List of TR's: Moishy, Something Fishy, whYME, Cat In The Hat and https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=109355.0

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:in style....

Notes: Bring Cash. CC's aren't really a thing there..... You might be able to get away without changing money. American dollars are accepted most places with a .13 charge per dollar.

Please Update the Wiki
« Last edited by Yuey on December 24, 2019, 03:49:02 AM »

Author Topic: Cuba Master Thread  (Read 69436 times)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: Cuba Master Thread
« Reply #260 on: April 25, 2019, 07:02:32 PM »
Or Queens.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline chief_mag

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 25, 2019, 07:19:08 PM »
Sunday preferably
Can't make it, sorry.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 07:23:49 PM by chief_mag »

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 05, 2019, 03:55:48 PM »
Does the Hotel Raquel have any kosher food?
Does the butcher shop sell anything other than meat?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 05, 2019, 05:15:51 PM »
Does the Hotel Raquel have any kosher food?
Does the butcher shop sell anything other than meat?
I dont believe so. And I dont know if you are able to buy from the butcher (you might need a ration card or something).
And AFAIK the butcher is usually not open.

Dont try to buy kosher food there, if anything bring way more than you need and give it to the jews there.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 06, 2019, 05:40:49 AM »
Will be in Feb in Miami for 10 days. Thinking of taking a one day tour of Havanna with my wife and kids (age 1-14)
I see that I can fly early in morning, that will get me in at 08:00am and leave 9pm with aa (booking with avios)
It would make it much easier traveling without luggage and not having to stay over night
Do you think I can see enough of the jewish and regular sights in a day?
Any other tips you can give me before planning such a crazy daytrip :-)

Offline ethana

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 16, 2019, 03:25:23 PM »
anyone know the current status of traveling to cuba? thinking about going the end of january

Offline Yuey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 24, 2019, 03:23:07 AM »
anyone know the current status of traveling to cuba? thinking about going the end of january

It could be a fun quick trip
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=109355.0

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 24, 2019, 09:24:44 AM »

Offline YaDrebin95

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 31, 2019, 11:49:27 AM »
I'm also trying to find out current requirements. Seems you can visit under the "Support of Cuban People" category but I'm trying to find out if you need any sort of proof for that. If not, it's basically same requirements as pre-Trump sanctions. Some travel via a transit country to avoid that but if it's not necessary I would fly direct from USA.

Offline GAM Z.

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2020, 01:39:07 AM »
I’m looking to stay in a Airbnb in Havana in a area that’s walking distance to attractions. Which neighborhood would you recommend?

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 03, 2020, 11:51:43 AM »
Any thoughts on a day drip from MIA

Depart AA 6.45AM
Return AA 9.10PM

Will we have enough time to see the highlights?

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 16, 2021, 03:02:10 PM »
Raul Castro said Friday he is resigning as head of Cuba’s Communist Party, ending an era of formal leadership by he and his brother Fidel Castro that began with the 1959 revolution. - AP

Offline pixi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 10, 2023, 01:47:10 PM »
Regarding a Visa to Cuba, Do U just purchase one at the airport (EWR)?
besides a Visa, is there anything else I need in order to get into Cuba?
money doesn't talk......      it SCREAMS !

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #273 on: January 10, 2023, 02:22:45 PM »
Regarding a Visa to Cuba, Do U just purchase one at the airport (EWR)?
besides a Visa, is there anything else I need in order to get into Cuba?

There was one bit of unfinished business: we needed to get our visas for Cuba. We knew we could get these in the PTY airport but were unsure exactly where, and if it was airside or landside (info on the internet was contradictory). Since I was scheduled to arrive far earlier than the others and had a long layover, it was my job to find the visa desk.

As soon as I landed in Panama I headed off to find the visas. Fortunately, it didn't take too long. I Found the desk (airside), handed them $20, and was given the visa. I was also told that the visas could be bought at the departure gate as well, so this would make it easy on the other guys. (In hindsight I shoulda gotten 3 then...)

By the time I made it out of the airport I had about 5 1/2 hours until I had to be back to meet up with the other guys and catch the flight to HAV, I figured I'd take a trip over to Panama Viejo and try and get some pics there.

I think it was around this time that I realized I had forgotten to stop at an ATM on the way to BOS airport to get cash for PTY. I had plenty of cash to exchange in HAV, but I had forgotten to get some for PTY.

Off to the nearest ATM, insert card, type PIN, get ca- nope, PIN not accepted. Try several more times, nothing doing. Find another ATM, still no luck.

Eventually I gave up and went to find a taxi who will take credit cards. After a few minutes I found one and we set out for Panama Viejo, just over 20 minutes away.

Many random things were painted in outrageously colored art, such as these cones around a sidewalk cafe:

[

And a whole bunch of what appeared to be hot-rodded school buses being used for public transportation, which I later found out are the now-almost-extinct Diablo Rojos -Red Devils.)

After about 35 minutes and we're still driving, we arrived at... Casco Viejo. Panama Viejo, Casco Viejo, whatever - I guess it all sounds the same when a gringo says it...

Casco Viejo is the old historic district of Panama city. While it is kinda interesting there, it's kind of a very very watered down version of HAV. Kinda pointless if you're on the way to HAV but still beats sitting in the lounge for 5 hours:

[Something Fishy] While whYME was cavorting around Panama, CITH and I headed to JFK together, and went straight to the Copa priority check-in lane. Right away the troubles started.

Check-in agent: What is this? You can't go to Cuba.
Me: Yes I can.
Agent: No you can't.
Me: Yes I can. Here's my journalism license.
Agent: Let's see your visa.
Me: I don't have one yet. The visa gets picked up in Panama.
Agent: No it doesn't.
Me: Yes it does.
Agent: I'm not gonna let you board.

At this point I'm boiling mad. By Fidel's scratchy old beard, no way this clueless agent on a power trip is going to deny me boarding. Trying to remain calm (outwardly, at least) I firmly but politely asked for her supervisor.

After a five minute wait, the supervisor shows up. She listens to both sides of the situation, looks at the agent as if she's retarded, and prints out all our boarding passes.

Whew!

We made it to the gate just a few minutes to spare (no time for the lounge today) and boarded. The first thing that struck me is that the plane is basically a United 737. Everything looked the same - the seats, the decor, even the Copa logo. Turns out that United had held a 49% stake in Copa till recently. In fact, it was only a month before this trip that Copa announced their own FFP, breaking off from United's Mileage Plus program.

We headed to seats 2A and B, which were basically UA domestic F seats. Not too terrible, mind you - wide enough, a fair amount of legroom, and semi-decent recline. For a 5.5 hour flight it wasn't too shabby. We got settled, get a pre-departure drink (in a glass! - Copa 1, United 0), and off we went:

Why can't all airlines have this? It's so simple, yet so helpful: a list of connecting flights and their gates. First one on the list is us - Jose Marti international Airport:

Before we knew it, we landed in Panama City. We headed to the lounge, where we had made up to meet whYME, who hopefully had found the visa desk. Before long he showed up with the welcome news that we could get the visa at the departing gate. After a short stay in the lounge we were off again, and the visa duly purchased:

Finally, at about 1 in the morning, we began our descent into Havana. My first impression of the airport was that it looked just as modern and normal as a regular first-world airport, but the overall mood was absolutely grim. Armed soldiers stood every few feet, silently watching.  It was clear that we were not in Kansas anymore.

Before clearing customs, we were corralled into a side area and handed forms to fill out. We had to state that we were not smuggling anything on a long list of contraband, including GPS devices (smartphones were fine), communications equipment, kitchen appliances (come again?), and – ahem – certain types of videos and magazines. There was also a space where we had to list every electronic item we are carrying. There wasn’t nearly enough room for us to list everything, so we just generically wrote “cameras and lenses” and hoped that would be fine.

Filling out this form, we got our first indication that in Cuba, no one – even the government-owned airport – has everything they need. Here we were, a couple of hundred passengers, tasked with filling out a long and tedious form on plain printer paper, in a large, square, and empty room - with not a single counter, table, or anything of the sort. It felt like this, but with none of the cool factor:

In the end everyone lined up against the wall and awkwardly did the paperwork.

Off it was to collect our bags and customs. Before the US travel changes had been implemented, Cuban customs officials knew not to stamp an American passport. Now however, there were reports that they will stamp, upon request. So when my agent stamped my visa instead of my passport, I politely asked him to stamp my passport as well. By look I received in return, you’d think I had asked him to help me smuggle a toaster oven or something horrid like that. Oh well, I definitely wasn’t going to argue with him. At least he didn’t ask any questions, other than the typical how long are you here for and where are you staying at.

[whYME] I got a little luckier. Apparently my agent had gotten the memo that some Americans now want their passports stamped and was happy to oblige.

[Something Fishy] But we weren’t done yet… next stop: the X-ray. Everything – bag, suitcase, whatever – was getting X-rayed. The military was manning the machines, giving the whole process a very creepy vibe. Duly zapped, we collected our bags and took them to yet another security checkpoint…  this time agents spot checking bags by hand.

whYME and CITH were ahead of me, and got waved through. Not wanting to get stuck with a long and annoying search, I sidled up alongside them and nonchalantly tried to pass through, but was unceremoniously stopped by an angry soldier.

I will tell you when to go through, don’t you dare try to go through yourself!” He glares at me for five seconds. “Now you could go through!”

Okaaaay ….

Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline jpscuba720

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 20, 2023, 12:55:44 PM »
When in Cuba try to make it to varadero. One of the best and biggest beaches around. can you bring me back some rum? lol

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2023, 01:48:26 PM »

Note that this information is 6 years old. Things may be very different today.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline travellove

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 21, 2023, 07:07:19 PM »
Hi all,

Is meat ok to bring into cuba?

Which Rum factory has good tours in Havana?

Which cigar factory has good tours in Havana?

What is my best option for phone and internet access?

What is the current US Customs allowance of rum/cigars?

Thanks for all your help. 

Offline travellove

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 22, 2023, 05:54:03 PM »
Hi all,

Anyone cab share ifo on any of the questions above? 

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #278 on: March 04, 2023, 03:01:35 PM »

Partagas Cigar Factory but not sure if still open.

For internet, you need to buy these cards. Thats what it was like a few years ago at least.

Offline jpscuba720

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2023, 10:05:26 AM »
Hi all,

I don't know about the meat but I would think compared to most places you could have a problem. Havana Club rum tours. they have 2 types the short one in Havana but the good one is about 1 hour out side. Ask your taxi to take you to Havana club in Havana and their you can book your tour. there is only 1 way to access the internet and that is buying cards like airtime minutes at most hotels. Phone service I can't say because we started in Varadero and my friends verizion phone worked perfectly for phone calls no data. the allowance depends on a couple of things 1 are you flying directly from Cuba or via Mexico etc. last I heard flying from Cuba you can take as much as your carry on will allow. Via mexico the problem is if us customs stops you, then you will have to provide info that you were in cuba and not buying rum and cigars from Mexico aka supporting the Cuban government. Last time I went was 2018. Now that Biden has made it open like Obama did I hope I will go back. have fun