Author Topic: Best current SERO phone to run Android?  (Read 5852 times)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Best current SERO phone to run Android?
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:13:40 PM »
What's the best currently available phone on the SERO plan if I eventually want to use it running Google's Android platform?

I'm guessing it would be either the HTC Touch or Mogul.

Any opinions?

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Best current SERO phone to run Android?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 06:03:37 PM »
Android will not be officially released on any current handsets.
HTC is designing new special handsets for Android, including the Omni and Dream.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't do it... some folks over at XDA-developers have already ported the basic components of the Android OS on a Vogue (HTC Touch):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=2084090&posted=1

It works, but its buggy as all heck. Until recently data didn't even work on it.
Its a hack, and it will always be a hack. For the full experience wait until a real device is released running it, and upgrade your handset.

FYI, Android won't fully boot on a Mogul for the time being because of memory restrictions and the way the OS is currently being "hacked" to load via the bootloader (bootloader loads Android on top of current OS memory, so you don't get the full 64mb. This is ok on the touch because you have 128mb to deal with).

Hope this helps...
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:05:31 AM »
Thanks Mordy.

In the end I decided to go with the Centro, it didn't sound like I have much hope of running Android normally on the Mogul or Touch. I figured I'll just go with the cheapest pda and hope (it looks like a real long shot) that Sprint will let us activate some of the upcoming phones (e.g. touch pro, Dream) on the $30 SERO plan...

However, now that I got my Centro and was able to play around with it a bit I'm starting to reconsider. I know Dan is in love with the Centro but so far it's just not doing it for me, maybe it'll grow on me in the next couple of days.

I noticed on your blog that they got Android to run on the Mogul by now.
Do you think they'll ever get it to run natively (probably the wrong word here) or will it always only run on top of Windows?

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:25:21 PM »
is there anyway to get andriod on the nokia 770 i saw somewhere that it was running on the n800 but couldnt find any info on the 770

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 01:32:51 PM »
E- wouldn't know, can't help you there. Although, the platforms are similar enough that I'll bet its an easy port if they did it for one.

Yes, as whYME noticed on my blog, I've got Android running on my Sprint Mogul right now.
Its an Alpha release at best, and there's lots of things that didn't port properly yet (hardware keys are a no go, touch panel isn't always responsive as it should be, and the whole OS freezes when it runs out of memory), however its a GREAT and optimistic view of things to come!

I'll tell  you, I like the way the OS looks and responds. The browser is fantastic the dialer is one of the more intuitive touch-screen dialers I've ever seen.
However, I wouldn't base a purchasing decision of any current device on this alone. For the best Android experience, you're really going to have to buy a new phone when it comes out I think.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 01:20:29 AM »
For the best Android experience, you're really going to have to buy a new phone when it comes out I think.
In an ideal situation you're 100% right. However, that may not always be an option.
for example: we don't know if you'll be able to use those phones on the SERO $30 plan -and even if you could it would probably require buying the phone at retail price, to get the subsidized price they'll probably make you upgrade to the new plan.