Author Topic: Unlock iPhone 4S sprint for international use!  (Read 13840 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Unlock iPhone 4S sprint for international use!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 02:54:59 AM »
I don't know anything about that particular site, which is why I prefer eBay where they have a seller rating and you can see if it has worked for others.

Swift unlocks was on eBay with IIRC hundreds of thousands of positive feedback until they left. I used them myself and was happy with the speed and price.
Visibly Jewish

Offline IsraelGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 03:30:36 AM »
How long does it take to get the code?

Depends. Most will say that it's usually within 24 hours, and can be even less. Rarely there are hangups and it can take longer, or won't work at all, but they usually refund your money. Just make sure when you check out they usually request you include the IMEI number in the message at checkout, so don't forget that part.

Maybe Apple is forcing people  to buy a European version ?  Is there any such thing ?

They're not forcing people. There is a European version, and its sold in Europe  ;D. They don't have use for certain American LTE bands so they don't have them, and most American's don't have use for European LTE bands so we don't have those. From my understanding the technology is still cost/size prohibitive to include all bands on a single chip, thus the multiple versions. They therefore have regional versions. If you're trying to get a cheaper model then don't be surprised not everything will work at the highest possible speeds. Still the American model seems to be the most robust (Sprint version a little more so, though I don't know about their unlocking).

Here in Israel we have to 'suffer' without 4g, but it doesn't bother me so much for now.

Offline PETERP

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 01:35:36 PM »
Depends. Most will say that it's usually within 24 hours, and can be even less. Rarely there are hangups and it can take longer, or won't work at all, but they usually refund your money. Just make sure when you check out they usually request you include the IMEI number in the message at checkout, so don't forget that part.

They're not forcing people. There is a European version, and its sold in Europe  ;D. They don't have use for certain American LTE bands so they don't have them, and most American's don't have use for European LTE bands so we don't have those. From my understanding the technology is still cost/size prohibitive to include all bands on a single chip, thus the multiple versions. They therefore have regional versions. If you're trying to get a cheaper model then don't be surprised not everything will work at the highest possible speeds. Still the American model seems to be the most robust (Sprint version a little more so, though I don't know about their unlocking).

Here in Israel we have to 'suffer' without 4g, but it doesn't bother me so much for now.

By forcing is I mean they are closing the loophole. Apple products cost the exact same price in Greece in Euros that they cost in the USA in Dollars, so there is a 35% savings in buying compatible equipment a la wireless  Ipads etc 

FYI I got a call from Sprint that they requested the unlock code for my Sprint 5S from Apple and I should be getting instructions in 4 hours . They asked a lot of security questions like banks do to prevent fraud etc 

Thanks for all your help 

Offline DanH

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »
Swift unlocks was on eBay with IIRC hundreds of thousands of positive feedback until they left. I used them myself and was happy with the speed and price.
They still exist.  If you email him he tells you:
We have a retail site as well a reseller program. To join, just register from the link on the site below. We are expanding it slowly but by middle of next month will incorporate al models/services. Once you login you can go to the ORDER TAB, and see the discounted reseller pricing and the ease of unlocking through our solution.

Site: http://www.swiftunlocks.com

I've recently used http://www.gsmunlocking.eu/ and i was very impressed

This summer i unlocked a 3gs with - http://www.ebay.com/itm/unlock-iphone-imei-AT-T-2g-3g-3gs-4g-4s-and-5-/221242880505?
and was also very happy
For tech help feel free to Telegram me @DanTechSupp

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 08:13:03 AM »
By forcing is I mean they are closing the loophole. Apple products cost the exact same price in Greece in Euros that they cost in the USA in Dollars, so there is a 35% savings in buying compatible equipment a la wireless  Ipads etc 

FYI I got a call from Sprint that they requested the unlock code for my Sprint 5S from Apple and I should be getting instructions in 4 hours . They asked a lot of security questions like banks do to prevent fraud etc 

Thanks for all your help

Got the phone unlocked via Sprint and Apple instructions . So says Sprint . Should I try to put a Tmobile or non Sprint mini sim in it to be sure .

How can I get a Tmobile or A T & T salesperson to do this for me ?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 08:18:50 AM »

Got the phone unlocked via Sprint and Apple instructions . So says Sprint . Should I try to put a Tmobile or non Sprint mini sim in it to be sure .

Even when unlocked the Sprint version will not work in the US with Tmo or ATT.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline IsraelGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 09:39:04 AM »

Just go into a store and ask if they have a nano-sim card you can test to see if your phone is compatible. If they won't give you one you should be able to buy one for a few dollars.

Even when unlocked the Sprint version will not work in the US with Tmo or ATT.

Why not? It has all the correct cellular bandwidths it would need, not sure why it wouldn't work.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 09:40:45 AM »

Why not? It has all the correct cellular bandwidths it would need, not sure why it wouldn't work.

AFAIK when Sprint unlocks the phone it's only for use outside of the US.  They have it set up that way.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »
AFAIK when Sprint unlocks the phone it's only for use outside of the US.  They have it set up that way.

+1
I can confirm from experience that it will only work internationally and not on other US carriers.

You may be able to flash the phone, but the process I understand is either difficult or expensive.
Visibly Jewish

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »

So there is no way to test it in the USA before I leave for Europe? Then the 14 day return policy
will be over when I get back .

Any other ideas ?

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 03:58:41 PM »
So there is no way to test it in the USA before I leave for Europe? Then the 14 day return policy
will be over when I get back .

Any other ideas ?
you can put a foreign sim in the phone while here. I have plenty in brooklyn if you need.

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »
you can put a foreign sim in the phone while here. I have plenty in brooklyn if you need.

Nano or mini or whatever the Iphone 5 S takes ? I have an old full size Vodaphone from old BBerry

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »
Nano or mini or whatever the Iphone 5 S takes ? I have an old full size Vodaphone from old BBerry
5s takes nano and I have extra ones. You can also just cut down the Voda sim and test with that. Just make sure to cut it properly or the phone may not recognize it hence ruining your project

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 08:34:58 PM »
5s takes nano and I have extra ones. You can also just cut down the Voda sim and test with that. Just make sure to cut it properly or the phone may not recognize it hence ruining your project

can't risk cutting it and no time to come Brooklyn

Have to take sprint at their word

Thanks  a lot

Offline IsraelGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2013, 02:29:50 AM »
+1
I can confirm from experience that it will only work internationally and not on other US carriers.

You may be able to flash the phone, but the process I understand is either difficult or expensive.

You have experience with this for the 5 or 5s? Things may have changed since the last model, but I'm having a hard time finding current data on this....

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2013, 07:48:14 AM »
You have experience with this for the 5 or 5s? Things may have changed since the last model, but I'm having a hard time finding current data on this....

I can confirm for the 4S, and I highly doubt anything is different with the 5. The 5S is a new phone so it could possibly be easier.
Visibly Jewish

Offline IsraelGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »
With a little more research it seems the sprint 5s, even unlocked, can't be used on other domestic carriers. When they say they unlocked the phone they mean for international use.

There were some reports I saw of people being able to use Tmobile sim cards (possibly with a gevy sim) but being limited to 3g (depending on if you're in a city that supports Tmobiles updated 3g network). Seems like things haven't really changed.

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2013, 02:17:56 PM »
With a little more research it seems the sprint 5s, even unlocked, can't be used on other domestic carriers. When they say they unlocked the phone they mean for international use.

There were some reports I saw of people being able to use Tmobile sim cards (possibly with a gevy sim) but being limited to 3g (depending on if you're in a city that supports Tmobiles updated 3g network). Seems like things haven't really changed.

Even though they say they forwarded to Apple to unlock?

I just want to be sure it works in Europe etc

Offline IsraelGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 05:40:34 AM »

Even though they say they forwarded to Apple to unlock?

I just want to be sure it works in Europe etc

As far as I understood, they must communicate with apple for the unlock, but its still international only. That being said I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work in Europe, but there's always a little risk in the beginning before lots of personal experiences are available online. When I had my AT&T 5 sent to me there was a risk the order of things might not work, but sometimes you just have to go for it and see. If I come across anything with more info I'll let you know.

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »
As far as I understood, they must communicate with apple for the unlock, but its still international only. That being said I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work in Europe, but there's always a little risk in the beginning before lots of personal experiences are available online. When I had my AT&T 5 sent to me there was a risk the order of things might not work, but sometimes you just have to go for it and see. If I come across anything with more info I'll let you know.

Heading to the airport in a few hours so I will soon know. Have my BBerry so I will use that till I get a new Sim Nano and test it .

Thanks for all your help