Author Topic: U.S. Government Shutdown  (Read 18432 times)

Offline DovtheBear

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
U.S. Government Shutdown
« on: September 30, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »
Looks like its official:
Quote from: Washington Post
BREAKING NEWS: House Republicans decided they would not attempt to pass any more bills late Monday to fund the government, setting in motion the first shutdown of federal agencies since 1996, according to two senior GOP advisers. The shutdown will begin early Tuesday.
Does this actually mean anything?
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: U.S. Government Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
White house spam email:

If the United States government shuts down tonight and our economy takes a hit, it will be because House Republicans let it happen.

Right now, there's a bill sitting in the House that funds the government for a few more weeks. It doesn't demand the repeal or delay of the health care law, or deny women access to birth control, or include any other failed, partisan proposals. It funds the government. That's it. And if Republican leadership allowed a simple yes or no vote on this bill -- like the Senate has -- it would get enough support from members of both parties to pass.

Instead, the government that these Republicans were elected to fund will close down and that will hurt our economy. Americans across the country won't be allowed to show up for work. Paychecks could be delayed, meaning some folks will have to cut back on groceries or maybe even not pay a few bills. Businesses will have fewer customers. Veterans won't get services they rely on -- and it will put benefits for seniors at risk.

Even though they've already voted over 40 times to defund or delay the health care law, this group of Republicans in Congress is so obsessed with the idea of sabotaging Obamacare that they're willing to take the economy hostage to do it.

Take a look at how this shutdown will affect millions of Americans -- and then make sure you share it so other folks know, too.

President Obama has said time and time again that he's willing to work with folks on both sides of the aisle to grow our economy and even improve the health care law. But using the threat of government shutdown or defaulting on the bills our country owes is reckless and irresponsible.

In fact, shutting down the government won't stop Obamacare. The Health Insurance Marketplace will still open for business starting tomorrow, without delay.

Washington needs to stop manufacturing crises and focus on the issues that matter: creating jobs and building a strong middle class. Taking our economy over the cliff just to score political points isn't fair to the millions of Americans who show up every day to work and do their jobs. It’s time for Congress to do its job.

Make sure you know exactly who this shutdown is directly affecting and then pass it on.

Thanks,

David

David Simas
Deputy Senior Advisor
The White House
@Simas44

P.S. -- You'll still be able to sign up for affordable health insurance on HealthCare.gov starting tomorrow, shutdown or no shutdown.

Offline DovtheBear

• View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:43:13 PM »
White house spam email:

If the United States government shuts down tonight and our economy takes a hit, it will be because House Republicans let it happen.

Right now, there's a bill sitting in the House that funds the government for a few more weeks. It doesn't demand the repeal or delay of the health care law, or deny women access to birth control, or include any other failed, partisan proposals. It funds the government. That's it. And if Republican leadership allowed a simple yes or no vote on this bill -- like the Senate has -- it would get enough support from members of both parties to pass.

Instead, the government that these Republicans were elected to fund will close down and that will hurt our economy. Americans across the country won't be allowed to show up for work. Paychecks could be delayed, meaning some folks will have to cut back on groceries or maybe even not pay a few bills. Businesses will have fewer customers. Veterans won't get services they rely on -- and it will put benefits for seniors at risk.

Even though they've already voted over 40 times to defund or delay the health care law, this group of Republicans in Congress is so obsessed with the idea of sabotaging Obamacare that they're willing to take the economy hostage to do it.

Take a look at how this shutdown will affect millions of Americans -- and then make sure you share it so other folks know, too.

President Obama has said time and time again that he's willing to work with folks on both sides of the aisle to grow our economy and even improve the health care law. But using the threat of government shutdown or defaulting on the bills our country owes is reckless and irresponsible.

In fact, shutting down the government won't stop Obamacare. The Health Insurance Marketplace will still open for business starting tomorrow, without delay.

Washington needs to stop manufacturing crises and focus on the issues that matter: creating jobs and building a strong middle class. Taking our economy over the cliff just to score political points isn't fair to the millions of Americans who show up every day to work and do their jobs. It’s time for Congress to do its job.

Make sure you know exactly who this shutdown is directly affecting and then pass it on.

Thanks,

David

David Simas
Deputy Senior Advisor
The White House
@Simas44

P.S. -- You'll still be able to sign up for affordable health insurance on HealthCare.gov starting tomorrow, shutdown or no shutdown.

Well, at least you know the e-mail address of one of Obama's speech writers.

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:46:38 PM »
I also get Obama's spam. It's such inane tripe. This gem of an email is a perfect example of the kind of crap they spew all the time.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:52:11 PM »
I have a question:
Why wont John Bohener let the senate bill up for a yes or no vote in the house?
Most analysts believe it'll definitely pass with a combo of moderate republicans and democrats.

Basically, the majority of senate AND the house are ready to vote for a bill that funds the gov't without any strings attached, but the speaker simply don't allow a vote on the bill.

This is insane.

Besides that the whole idea of attaching ObamaCare to budget is ridiculous and makes no sense.
Its a law that has already been challenged and approved by a vote of congress, a presidential election and the supreme court.
When will these guys realize that this is the law of tha land and accepted by the majority?

Bbbbrrrrrrrr....
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline DovtheBear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »
I have a question:
Most analysts believe it'll definitely pass with a combo of moderate republicans and democrats.

Basically, the majority of senate AND the house are ready to vote for a bill that funds the gov't without any strings attached, but the speaker simply don't allow a vote on the bill.

This is insane.

Besides that the whole idea of attaching ObamaCare to budget is ridiculous and makes no sense.
Its a law that has already been challenged and approved by a vote of congress, a presidential election and the supreme court.
When will these guys realize that this is the law of tha land and accepted by the majority?

Bbbbrrrrrrrr....
You too?! :P

Offline DovtheBear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 12:07:41 AM »
Its happening.
The lights are flickering...
I can hear the looters....

NOT!  :)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 12:09:14 AM »
I have a question:

This is insane.

Bbbbrrrrrrrr....
The debt limit is equally the law of the land as is the need for spending to be approved by Congress. This is no more brinkmanship than what was used to push it through on the first place.

Please clarify what you mean by accepted by the majority. Every poll shows large margins opposing it.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline lfas25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 12:45:46 AM »
Its happening.
The lights are flickering...
I can hear the looters....

NOT!  :)

I got me shotguns ready :D Lol
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline DovtheBear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 12:47:53 AM »
I got me shotguns ready :D Lol
LOL!  :)

Offline menachem_m

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 02:01:49 AM »
I have a question:

This is insane.

Bbbbrrrrrrrr....
Two word answer.
Hastert rule.

Offline Red

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 06:28:49 AM »
Us consulate in Jerusalem was still open this morning... phew

Offline smee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 07:47:23 AM »
Does this affect anyone here directly?

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 08:51:50 AM »
It slows down the economic recovery so it has an indirect effect on everyone.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 08:53:52 AM »

Please clarify what you mean by accepted by the majority. Every poll shows large margins opposing it.
Barak Obama was reelected.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
Barak Obama was reelected.
It is difficult to call the presidential election a referendum on Obamacare. Also, the entire house was also reelected.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »
Of course the entire house was reelected!
Are you aware that the majority of the house wants to pass a funding bill WITHOUT attaching an ObamaCare delay to it??
Its just that the speaker don't allow a simple up or down vote on it.

So what are you talking about?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 09:43:18 AM »
Of course the entire house was reelected!
Are you aware that the majority of the house wants to pass a funding bill WITHOUT attaching an ObamaCare delay to it??
Its just that the speaker don't allow a simple up or down vote on it.

So what are you talking about?
How does that translate to their accepting Obamacare? They also voted countless times to repeal it.

Offline smbalt

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »
'Federal Employee Kollel' opening in Baltimore during Shutdown.

Offline Myccrabbi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 10:37:25 AM »
'Federal Employee Kollel' opening in Baltimore during Shutdown.
:)

If u work for a living, why kill urself working?