Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 692698 times)

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #1600 on: January 29, 2018, 10:20:32 PM »
IME it is like going to traffic court and fighting a ticket yourself instead of hiring a lawyer. You may get lucky but usually you get what you pay for. The different firms know the system better than any one person ever could. They practically created the industry.

Recommendations?

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: January 29, 2018, 10:30:46 PM »

From my understanding, that's pretty common. I guess I should rephrase my question to:

Check out this  face book group dedicated to the one goal of helping ppl learn how to lower their property taxes on their own.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NassauGrieveYourTaxAssessmentFree/

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: January 29, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »
IME it is like going to traffic court and fighting a ticket yourself instead of hiring a lawyer. You may get lucky but usually you get what you pay for. The different firms know the system better than any one person ever could. They practically created the industry.
Not at all the same, a few minutes if research on this fb group and you'll know all the tricks mandelbaum and co. use.

Check out this  face book group dedicated to the one goal of helping ppl learn how to lower their property taxes on their own.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: January 29, 2018, 11:00:27 PM »
Not at all the same, a few minutes if research on this fb group and you'll know all the tricks mandelbaum and co. use.
You mean Maidenbaum?

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: January 30, 2018, 09:23:07 AM »

that's what i figured. thanks

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: January 30, 2018, 12:21:26 PM »
Recommendations?
Maidenbaum is the biggest. Most expensive but they also save the most money so it's a wash. I've only used them and had good results.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: January 30, 2018, 01:30:20 PM »

Thanks. Requested access

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: January 31, 2018, 10:49:50 AM »
Did anyone else get a random email with this subject last night?

"Fix the Yeshiva / Bais Yaakov Calendar"

Starts like this:

"An open letter to the wonderful Bais Yaakovs and Yeshivos of Far Rockaway & the Five Towns."

Who is giving out my email and why?
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: January 31, 2018, 10:53:48 AM »
Got it in a watsapp group. Frankly i think its way off base. Schools are there to educate Children. Full stop. They aren't a babysitting service. The fact that it would be more convenient for parents if schools were open longer, and on more days, i agree with. But its not the schools responsibility to do that.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: January 31, 2018, 10:58:26 AM »
I got it in email form as well
they make some good points

Offline am7734

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: January 31, 2018, 11:05:01 AM »
Who is giving out my email and why?
Exactly what was going through my mind.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: January 31, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »
I got it through change.org I think.it might have been from them or its on the numerous shul/charity/yeshiva lists that float around the five towns

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: January 31, 2018, 11:12:30 AM »
Got it in a watsapp group. Frankly i think its way off base. Schools are there to educate Children. Full stop. They aren't a babysitting service. The fact that it would be more convenient for parents if schools were open longer, and on more days, i agree with. But its not the schools responsibility to do that.
Not to mention that this has been argued about forever, and the schools have kept it as is. Not sure why parents think it's going to suddenly change.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: January 31, 2018, 11:15:35 AM »
Not to mention that this has been argued about forever, and the schools have kept it as is. Not sure why parents think it's going to suddenly change.

Agreed. Along with the dozens of other "issues" that have been around forever and discussed (argued) many times over and yet are still exactly the same way they were.

Plus, you'll never satisfy everyone...
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: January 31, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »
at least someone should post it so we have what to discuss on Friday.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: January 31, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
at least someone should post it so we have what to discuss on Friday.
An open letter to the wonderful Bais Yaakovs and Yeshivos of Far Rockaway & the Five Towns.

It is around this time of year when meetings take place to decide when camp should begin and end as well as when the following school year should start. Subsequently the entire school calendar is devised. I am writing to you today with a request. I am asking if you could give some thought to deviating from the standard old school calendar and adapting a calendar that is more in tune with the needs of your parent body in the year 2018.

Please realize that the school calendar does not only affect your school alone, it affects just about every family in the community that has school age children. The babysitters playgroups and nurseries in our community all follow the school calendar. For example, they give off on a Tuesday in November for "in service day" even though their staff are not attending workshops to become better educators.

On an average year, there are 10 days off between school and camp in June and then another 10- 14 days off between camp and school in August / September. Preschools and local playgroups tend not to start until after Labor Day. The girls schools have Chanukah Vacation from Friday through Tuesday and then Mid winter vacation less than a month later from Friday - Wednesday. Just these days alone adds up to more than 20 regular weekdays when a parent must take off from work. Besides all these "regular" weekdays that the children are off, there are also Yomim Tovim that parents must take off.     

When creating the school calendar, please keep in mind that today more than ever families have 2 working parents. When children have off from school on a regular weekday one of these parents has to take off from work. It would be very nice if both parents could take off and spend quality time with their children or go on a small trip. However, when there are so many days that the children have off it is impossible to ever have both working parents off the same day. The average job does not give this much vacation time. Subsequently only one parent takes off at a time and the family never gets a chance to spend much needed quality time together. I heard from a friend of mine that on Tuesday of Chanukah when the girls had vacation and the boys had school, there were more than 60 girls roaming the offices and hallways of Yeshiva Darchei Torah. Is this why we give Chanukah Vacation, so that parents should take their children to work with them?

I would like to suggest having one less day of Chanukah vacation and two fewer days of mid winter vacation. In addition, there should be no more than one week off between camp and school and again between school and camp. I know that it takes time to clean and prepare the buildings for the upcoming school year, but a full week is enough time. I also understand that teachers and principals dedicate their lives to educating our children and have to work in the summer to supplement the below average income they receive from our schools. They therefore deserve vacation time. However, a week off in June and a week off in August along with all the Yomim Tovim, Chanukah and mid winter vacation is at least equivalent to the amount of vacation an average person receives. In addition, it would make more sense for a teacher to take a few days off throughout the year and have a substitute replace them, than give the entire school off so that the teachers could have vacation time.

I would appreciate if you can give serious thought to my request and I look forward to hearing from you.

To support this cause, visit Change.org and search for "Fix the Yeshiva/Bais Yaakov Calendar" or click on the link below.

Please forward to others who share our opinion.

https://www.change.org/p/the-heads-of-our-schools-fix-the-yeshiva-bais-yaakov-calendar?recruiter=850977129&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_petition
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: January 31, 2018, 02:04:21 PM »
The only legit argument in there, is that playgroups and the like, shouldn't be giving off as much as they do.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: January 31, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »
The only legit argument in there, is that playgroups and the like, shouldn't be giving off as much as they do.
Right. Because having kids off for 2-3 weeks (or more) between camp and school is totally normal.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: January 31, 2018, 02:10:59 PM »
Right. Because having kids off for 2-3 weeks (or more) between camp and school is totally normal.
Why's that thethe school's problem?

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: January 31, 2018, 02:13:25 PM »
How does that turn into a school issue? The school has a curriculum, which they teach, during their school year. They are there to educate, not babysit. I understand why parents want more school, but that's not the school's concern. Besides for the fact that people arent factoring in the additional Tuition costs. More days of school=more tuition. Maybe call up the camps and tell them that instead of 8 week programs, they should have 10 week programs?