Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 680266 times)

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #2740 on: July 01, 2020, 07:17:04 PM »
Who thought it would be a good idea to have this massive project right at the exit of our biggest artery out?

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: July 01, 2020, 07:18:06 PM »
Who thought it would be a good idea to have this massive project right at the exit to our biggest artery out?

It took me almost an hour to get to jfk on Monday.

Of course they had to wait until quarantine was over to do construction
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline justaregularguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: July 01, 2020, 07:33:54 PM »
Saw a post from someone on facebook clarifying the sushi pie rumor. It's just changing names to bravo pizza and sushi. It is not affiliated at all with bravos in Manhattan or queens.
yeah i saw that too.
why? the word bravo brings in more ppl? :o

Who thought it would be a good idea to have this massive project right at the exit of our biggest artery out?
you have plug in waze bc it would route you through north woodmere to the where the belt and cross island meet. I discovered that route unfortunately during the terrible accident on chol hamoed pesach a couple yrs ago... :'(

another piece of info I hear-the huge land they're clearing right by that construction (next to lowes area) I hear is more logistics buildings like the ones right across from the runways at JFK. boring.
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: July 01, 2020, 07:37:51 PM »

you have plug in waze bc it would route you through north woodmere to the where the belt and cross island meet. I discovered that route unfortunately during the terrible accident on chol hamoed pesach a couple yrs ago... :'(

another piece of info I hear-the huge land they're clearing right by that construction (next to lowes area) I hear is more logistics buildings like the ones right across from the runways at JFK. boring.
I do often take that route. I heard it will be another logistics Center to. That's also a disaster in the making. Imagine all those big trucks pulling out by the red light or waiting to turn into it

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: July 01, 2020, 07:47:53 PM »
I do often take that route. I heard it will be another logistics Center to. That's also a disaster in the making. Imagine all those big trucks pulling out by the red light or waiting to turn into it
well they cud try and make a seperate light at the edge of the property just for the trucks maybe while brookville and rockaway tpke is red together.

is the construction now connected to the building site? connecting pipes or something?

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: July 02, 2020, 02:33:11 AM »
Where?

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: July 02, 2020, 09:02:18 AM »

Offline Mootkim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: July 02, 2020, 09:31:20 AM »
The sign says that the road construction is until 7/15 so hopefully not too much longer.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: July 02, 2020, 02:38:44 PM »
The sign says that the road construction is until 7/15 so hopefully not too much longer.
just like the projected completion on buildings says something like Fall 2020 and they havent even dug a foundation yet... ::)

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: July 05, 2020, 01:03:27 PM »
Anyone know who mehadrin of 5t is? 550 and chimichurri switched to them.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2750 on: July 05, 2020, 01:57:12 PM »
per elan kornblum (gkrf):
Both Chimichurri and FiveFifty in the 5 Towns have taken the local hashgacha, Mehadrin of the Five Towns, led by eteemed Rabbi Yehuda Eliyahu and Rabbi Sholom Silberberg.

I've been working with the restaurant on this and was told to wait until it's official and a letter was sent to the Vaad informing them of their decision, so here's the latest.

Rav Eliyahu is the Rabbi of both proprietors and they respect and admire him greatly as a Chacham and Tzaddik.  They know he will maintain the highest kashrus standards they and their customers abide by.  In fact, the current mashgichim have been approved and will continue working in the restaurant under the new supervision.

Rav Eliyahu learned in Mir Yerusahlayim and Lakewood, NJ. He was the Rabbi in Hong Kong, Great Neck, Staten Island and is currently in North Woodmere Ohr Torah. Rabbi Silberberg is the Rav of Kehal B'nai Torah in Woodmere and has a Kolel Ner Shlomo in Cedarhurst.  He is a Rabbi for the Halacha Hotline of Far Rockaway and 5 Towns.

To contact the supervision, please email: mehadrinoffivetowns@gmail.com

The restaurants would like to thank Rabbi Eisen and the Vaad of Five Towns for their hard work and supervision over the many years.

I welcome and encourage them to work together with this new supervision in strengthening our community.

PS. I know this will be a lively discussion, but I ask that this be a respectful one and not one where we mock, ridicule or slander others. Thank you.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: July 05, 2020, 02:27:05 PM »

I would advise you to speak to someone who is involved in local lashes. Maybe your Rov if he is part of the Vaad of the Fuve Towns.

This change in supervision is a step down, not a step up. First if all, they are much less experienced in the field of Kashrus and might not know what to look out for. In additon, the Vaad is part of the AKO network. Therefore they have access to, and network with other professionals and attend meetings about the latest on the kashmir industry.  This Mehadrin supervisor does not.

According to the Rabbi I spoke to, Mehadrin are amateurs in the field and also have a much lower standard than the Vaad. There are mashgichim who the Vaad does not accept, and Mehadrin does.

Be careful, there is a reason why they are switching, and it is not to upgrade their standards.

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: July 05, 2020, 02:29:42 PM »
there is a reason why they are switching, and it is not to upgrade their standards.

$$$?
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: July 05, 2020, 02:47:23 PM »

Offline Yef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: July 05, 2020, 03:15:09 PM »
I’ve heard only the best about this. They have intentions for the best kashrus for everyone. Kashrus in the whole town will be better because of this.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: July 05, 2020, 03:20:41 PM »
I’ve heard only the best about this. They have intentions for the best kashrus for everyone. Kashrus in the whole town will be better because of this.

What did you hear specifically?
I'm going to try and approach this with an open mind but a change in hechsherim always raises flags. Especially if it's for a local Rabbi and not another reputable organization.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: July 05, 2020, 03:24:07 PM »
I would advise you to speak to someone who is involved in local lashes. Maybe your Rov if he is part of the Vaad of the Fuve Towns.

This change in supervision is a step down, not a step up. First if all, they are much less experienced in the field of Kashrus and might not know what to look out for. In additon, the Vaad is part of the AKO network. Therefore they have access to, and network with other professionals and attend meetings about the latest on the kashmir industry.  This Mehadrin supervisor does not.

According to the Rabbi I spoke to, Mehadrin are amateurs in the field and also have a much lower standard than the Vaad. There are mashgichim who the Vaad does not accept, and Mehadrin does.

Be careful, there is a reason why they are switching, and it is not to upgrade their standards.

Even if what you are saying is true, at a time when restaurant margins are really small and are being hit really hard by the corona effect maybe this is necessary to help keep these Jewish businesses opened by lowering costs. There are times that relying on leniencies and lowering standards in halacha is warranted for the good of the community. No one is telling any specific person where to eat and what standards to hold by. Asking your LOR is almost always the way to go

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: July 05, 2020, 04:05:36 PM »
Even if what you are saying is true, at a time when restaurant margins are really small and are being hit really hard by the corona effect maybe this is necessary to help keep these Jewish businesses opened by lowering costs. There are times that relying on leniencies and lowering standards in halacha is warranted for the good of the community. No one is telling any specific person where to eat and what standards to hold by. Asking your LOR is almost always the way to go

There would be no reason to lower ones standards just so we can have two more eateries in town. Eateries are not a necessity, and definitely  not when we have so many other choices.

Our local Vaad happens to be considered pretty lenient in the field of Kashrus. Going down a standard is not a good thing.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: July 05, 2020, 04:20:40 PM »
There would be no reason to lower ones standards just so we can have two more eateries in town. Eateries are not a necessity, and definitely  not when we have so many other choices.

Our local Vaad happens to be considered pretty lenient in the field of Kashrus. Going down a standard is not a good thing.

Thats a totally acceptable opinion but maybe others who are big talmidei chachamim disagree with you and would rather give people the choice to determine a standard that is appropriate for them?  Also, as of now 2 have switched, perhaps soon more will use this hechsher. I would wait before passing definitive judgement.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: July 05, 2020, 04:22:14 PM »
Thats a totally acceptable opinion but maybe others who are big talmidei chachamim disagree with you and would rather give people the choice to determine a standard that is appropriate for them?  Also, as of now 2 have switched, perhaps soon more will use this hechsher. I would wait before passing definitive judgement.

Lots of speculation. I'm assuming they don't advertisetadvertise as having lower standards. I'm genuinely curious what their standards are.