Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 680706 times)

Online JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #3820 on: November 04, 2022, 01:43:18 PM »
i would just note that i had a luxurious recent stay at the South Nassau hospital over shabbos/shemini atzeres (trip report coming), and Gourmet Glatt sponsors the food in the bikur cholim and it is a lifesaver. salads and cold and hot dishes so you can eat like a mensch at a tough time. they are expensive, but in a capitalist country its not unusual to have a highpriced store with high margins people pay for whatever reason (like lidl vs stop and shop), the only issue one could have with them is if they acted monopolistically and actually did that trickery with kol save as claimed, which i havent seen any real proof of beyond gossip.

Tovel V'sheretz B'yado

Offline ya

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: November 04, 2022, 04:54:27 PM »
i would just note that i had a luxurious recent stay at the South Nassau hospital over shabbos/shemini atzeres (trip report coming), and Gourmet Glatt sponsors the food in the bikur cholim and it is a lifesaver. salads and cold and hot dishes so you can eat like a mensch at a tough time. they are expensive, but in a capitalist country its not unusual to have a highpriced store with high margins people pay for whatever reason (like lidl vs stop and shop), the only issue one could have with them is if they acted monopolistically and actually did that trickery with kol save as claimed, which i havent seen any real proof of beyond gossip.
they love to do that. Gouge everyone but they go donate or sponsor things with their logo all over it.

Why is GG in 5towns 35percent higher then GG in boro park?

Online JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: November 04, 2022, 05:16:22 PM »
Because they could.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #3823 on: November 04, 2022, 05:17:18 PM »
they love to do that. Gouge everyone but they go donate or sponsor things with their logo all over it.

its a capitalist country they can charge whatever they want if they are in a neighborhood of excess where people are stupid enough to pay. i rarely shop there (really i focus on the ossies fish and occasionally good meat, but never normal goods). if you are a marxist, great, but i assume like most jews the people complaining about gg are somewhat inconsistent in their outlook.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: November 05, 2022, 05:13:19 PM »
Dont forget gg in bp is a dump compared to gg in 5t.its a different business model nicer service with higher prices

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #3825 on: November 05, 2022, 09:21:09 PM »
its a capitalist country they can charge whatever they want if they are in a neighborhood of excess where people are stupid enough to pay. i rarely shop there (really i focus on the ossies fish and occasionally good meat, but never normal goods). if you are a marxist, great, but i assume like most jews the people complaining about gg are somewhat inconsistent in their outlook.
it's very different. Us Jews are forced to shop their because we have to keep kosher. Government won't get involved in such a small monopoly or the fact that GG doesn't let any other stories move into town.

What do you mean by stupid enough to pay? What other choices do they have? Not live there? What choices do the rebbeim and teachers have?

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: November 06, 2022, 12:58:42 AM »
B'SD

GG STANDS FOR GROISE GOUGING
By: Suri Davis

The local markets, including the kosher ones are gouging consumers in a scam I call “FEARFLATION.” President Biden called the gas companies out on this ploy wherein the media and economists predict inflation on Monday and by Monday night, companies raise their prices although their current inventory prices have not yet increased. The gas companies double their billions in profits this year playing on the fears and “knowledge” of consumers over inflation prices and it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Here are some local examples:
Kosher chicken: Gourmet Glatt Chicken Thighs:$4.19/lb, it rose $.50/lb in the last week a whopping 13.5% in one week. Costco Empire Chicken: Thighs: $2.49/lb A WHOPPING $1.70/lb LESS OR 41% LESS. Grab a family package of Gourmet Glatt Chicken Thighs, it will cost you about $29, grab a package of Costco Chicken thighs and it will cost you about $15. You decide.
                             Gourmet Glatt Chicken legs:$4.29/lb, it decreased $.10/lb. Costco Empire Chicken legs: $1.99/lb A WHOPPING $2.30/lb LESS OR 54% LESS. Grab a family package of chicken legs from Gourmet Glatt, it will cost you about $18, grab a package of chicken legs from Costco, it will cost you about $11. You decide.
Eggs: GG: $3.99/dz, Costco:$2.69/dz, Target: $3.49/dz, Aldi’s: $1.97
Non CY Milk: GG: 5.49/gallon, Target Lawrence:$2.99/gallon, Aldi’s $2.19
Flour: GG 4.99/5lbs. Target: $2.29/5lbs. GG King Arthur: $7.99. Seasons King Arthur $8.99. Aldi’s flour:$2.12.
Sugar: GG:$5.99/4lbs , Target:$2.99/4lbs and $2.61 at Aldi’s
Look at your cereal prices at Gourmet Glatt, Seasons and Frenkels, compare them with Costco, Target and Aldis. I am all for supporting local kosher markets, but not when they obviously gouge, are opportunistic and hurt the working family paying yeshiva tuitions and trying to make ends meet.
Almost every single item in our kosher stores have skyrocketed and for no other reason than gouging which is preying on FEARFLATION, the anticipation of inflation.
What we can do together to stop this gouging:
1.      Buy what you can elsewhere, it will save you money and send a message to the kosher stores. When you go into the kosher stores, speak with the managers and express your outrage.
2.     Pray that Bingo gets here faster. What we need is more competition. There have been other stores interested in coming to town, and I have heard, but not substantiated that the Kol Save store space was researched by the Kollel Store, before Gourmet Glatt bought the space. As I mentioned before, when Kol Save opened I went to visit both stores to compare prices, Gourmet Glatt raised its prices and priced Kol Save at its older prices to have Kol Save priced at a lower price, e.g. cholent beans went from $.99 to $1.19 in Gourmet Glatt as they priced the Kol Save cholent beans at $.99.
3.     Ask the Vaad to speak with their stores. As you can see from the attached article by Rabbi Wein, it is against halachah and humanity to gouge a fellow Jew, it is my humble opinion that the Vaad of the Five Towns should hold its members to a higher standard and should not support this gouging. I am not saying that they should pull their hashgachah, but as they feel that raspberries are too hard to inspect and eat in a kosher fashion, as they ask their grocery stores to close a half day on Tisha b’av so as not to support shopping when against halachah, they should encourage their stores to lower prices on staples and heimishe products which cannot be found in non-kosher stores and to stop anti-heimishe behavior, which harm Five Towns residents.  Just because owners can get away with this behavior, doesn’t mean they should.
4.     Ask our Rabbis to reach out to the stores, a two minute phone call can go far. Each one should reach out to Gourmet Glatt, Seasons and Frenkels, and ask them to stop this gouging on staples.   
Shabbat shalom.
-Suri

I used to work at a smaller Kosher grocery store in the area (now closed for many years), and let me point out that their profit margins were not all that high.

They charged more for things like pasta, cereal, and other items that people hardly bought there, but they had to keep in stock, but that was because their costs for these items were higher.  They were unable to get the quantity discounts that the large supermarkets get, and often had to discard merchandise when the sell by date arrived.

This is more true of places like Frankel's than of the larger places that have more than one location, but a more accurate comparison would be to look at them as a convenience store rather than a supermarket.

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: November 06, 2022, 01:15:40 AM »
Dont forget gg in bp is a dump compared to gg in 5t.its a different business model nicer service with higher prices
But their Lakewood store is MUCH nicer, with a much better selection. And a lot cheaper.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3828 on: November 06, 2022, 01:25:25 AM »
But their Lakewood store is MUCH nicer, with a much better selection. And a lot cheaper.
And  most likely a fraction of the rent
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #3829 on: November 06, 2022, 01:31:16 AM »
it's very different. Us Jews are forced to shop their because we have to keep kosher. Government won't get involved in such a small monopoly or the fact that GG doesn't let any other stories move into town.

What do you mean by stupid enough to pay? What other choices do they have? Not live there? What choices do the rebbeim and teachers have?
Again if they are unfairly blocking competition that is one thing, but all i hear is gossip without any support/evidence that they unfairly forced out competition (and indeed now bingo is coming in, how come they didnt lock them out)?
there is frankels (now rockaway kosher) for cheaper meat/chicken options and other goods, and there is also seasons and kol save. i personally find prices too high for me at gg, and get as much as i can from costco, lidl and trader joes and similar options.
i feel terrible for rebbeim and teachers who somehow survive while helping the community at wages that dont make sense for the crazy sticker price that is living in 5towns.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: November 06, 2022, 07:47:31 AM »

You brought other options for a few items where it was cheaper elsewhere?

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: November 06, 2022, 08:26:45 AM »
And  most likely a fraction of the rent
I don't know what they pay rent.

But hard to believe route 9 and Kenedy is a fraction of the rent as GG in Cedarhurst.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: November 06, 2022, 08:29:06 AM »
Again if they are unfairly blocking competition that is one thing, but all i hear is gossip without any support/evidence that they unfairly forced out competition (and indeed now bingo is coming in, how come they didnt lock them out)?
there is frankels (now rockaway kosher) for cheaper meat/chicken options and other goods, and there is also seasons and kol save. i personally find prices too high for me at gg, and get as much as i can from costco, lidl and trader joes and similar options.
i feel terrible for rebbeim and teachers who somehow survive while helping the community at wages that dont make sense for the crazy sticker price that is living in 5towns.
they can't block Bingo. Bingo is to big. They can't bully distribution etc. As said above Frankels is more of a convenience store then a supermarket.

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: November 06, 2022, 08:54:05 AM »
Not everyone has the option of Costco. Some people like Rabeim and others only eat Pas Yisroel, Cholov Yisroel, heimeshe hechseirim etc..

Their only other option locally is Stop and Shop. Typically supermarkets are more expensive on the heimeshe brand items. But here, with GG prices, and even Kol Save, Stop and Shop prices are competitive.

Kol Save is not that cheap. It's also more expensive than Lakewood or Brooklyn stores. It's only cheaper when compared to GG or Seasons. All the stores locally are taking advantage of the lack of competition

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: November 06, 2022, 09:28:13 AM »

Their only other option locally is Stop and Shop. Typically supermarkets are more expensive on the heimeshe brand items.
We should do something about their price gouging

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: November 06, 2022, 09:29:38 AM »
repost 😉

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3836 on: November 06, 2022, 09:30:47 AM »
How's the Patis in Lawrence?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dave321

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: November 06, 2022, 11:09:21 AM »
How's the Patis in Lawrence?
Great!

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: November 06, 2022, 11:19:01 AM »

how can you? They are such a great organization they donate to the little leagues wow

Online JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: November 06, 2022, 12:46:58 PM »
how can you? They are such a great organization they donate to the little leagues wow
Shop elsewhere. Simple.