Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 692559 times)

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #800 on: July 05, 2016, 08:57:37 AM »
My skin is called gehenom. I am in the know because I care. I am also not happy that the wool is being pulled over everyone elses eyes for absolutely no reason. Why can't our Kashrus be at the same standard as everywhere else?!? Why do we need to have the Reisman list, the Forst list etc. Why can't we just have a normal OU standard Kashrus?

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 05, 2016, 09:00:14 AM »
My skin is called gehenom. I am in the know because I care. I am also not happy that the wool is being pulled over everyone elses eyes for absolutely no reason. Why can't our Kashrus be at the same standard as everywhere else?!? Why do we need to have the Reisman list, the Forst list etc. Why can't we just have a normal OU standard Kashrus?
Whats the Reisman list?

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 05, 2016, 09:01:43 AM »
Well, the same Rabbi Eisen does not allow any Kehila Kashrus establishments to sell or serve prechecked vegetables anymore. Obviuosly, he is not comfortable with it. He does not control Vaad policies. But he does control Kehila Kashrus policy. And by the way, Rabbi Eisen is the advisor of "the list".

Do you really think someone as reputable as R' Eisen would associate himself with an organization he doesn't agree with?

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 05, 2016, 09:18:43 AM »
What's wrong with each person relying on there own rov to pasken? If I trust him to pasken all of my other sheilos, I feel I could rely on him in this regard too.
And what happens when the Resiman list and Forst list contradict each other? Are people going to gehenom then?
So I think the obvious answer is that there are certain machlokes in poskim as well certain chumras that some people/poskim follow. Not that it might be a bad thing to be machmere in certain areas but if one is not on that level, I don't think he goes to gehenom for following his competent rov's pasak instead of some anonymous guy on the internet.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 05, 2016, 01:15:13 PM »

I heard from a chashuv person who davens by Rabbi Forest's shul that Rabbi Forest never really wanted his list to get out. He is a big fan of R Eisen and he himself is on the vaad. He only put out the list for those who wanted extra chumrahs and wanted to be extra careful about kashrus. Saying people who eat by the vaad are going to gehonim is a pretty strong and irresponsible comment. The vaad is very well respected by many rabbonim and I myslef have Rabbeim that will eat anywhere under the vaad of the 5 towns (as long as he deems makom to be appropriate) and is fine with level of kashrus. Follow whatever standards of kashrus you feel comfortable with but dont put down a perfectly acceptable and reputable vaad hakashrus.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 05, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
What's wrong with each person relying on there own rov to pasken? If I trust him to pasken all of my other sheilos, I feel I could rely on him in this regard too.
And what happens when the Resiman list and Forst list contradict each other? Are people going to gehenom then?
So I think the obvious answer is that there are certain machlokes in poskim as well certain chumras that some people/poskim follow. Not that it might be a bad thing to be machmere in certain areas but if one is not on that level, I don't think he goes to gehenom for following his competent rov's pasak instead of some anonymous guy on the internet.

+1

Didnt see this when I wrote my post

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 05, 2016, 01:40:30 PM »
You are correct.  There is nothing wrong with relying on your Rov. Just don't forget to ask. If Rabbi Eisen is your Rov, you should ask him. You might be surprised to hear what he says.

AND it is true, Rabbi Forst does not want his list to get out.  But not because it's only chumras. But for political reasons. Especially after the tumelt which the Reisman list caused.

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 05, 2016, 02:00:29 PM »
You are correct.  There is nothing wrong with relying on your Rov. Just don't forget to ask. If Rabbi Eisen is your Rov, you should ask him. You might be surprised to hear what he says.

AND it is true, Rabbi Forst does not want his list to get out.  But not because it's only chumras. But for political reasons. Especially after the tumelt which the Reisman list caused.
Thank you for the reminder. And everybody should remember to keep shabbos this week and daven 3 teffilos a day. Unless it's shabbos or rosh chodesh inwhich case there are 4 teffilos.
And no, Rav Eisen is not my rov. But if he was, I would ask him.

Offline chbochur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 05, 2016, 02:03:09 PM »
It's not so simple, they have their standards (and they hold very strong to them) but if it's not in their standards they won't bother telling anyone. For example from my understanding the vaad does not obligate a store to be cholov yisroel but you Have the choice to be and if you do they put up on the certificate "cholov yisroel". Problem is for people like myself who are very careful in cholov yisroel can't rely on this, for true the milk is cholov yisroel and the cheese gevinas yisroel, the keilim used were never kashered when the store decided to go cy. Which according to the Rama (who my rav follows in this) makes the food ossur. But there is no way to know which stores have this issue and from my understand most pizza shops do have this issue.
A bigger issue is for the people visiting and they see a sign cholov yisroel they don't think twice about the kelim I hear a story a week about this issue
(And no we don't rely on cholov stam that it shouldn't asser the keilim)

If I'm not accurate or am missing information please inform me (I'd rather be able to eat in more places then the same pizza shop every time)

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 05, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »
It's not so simple, they have their standards (and they hold very strong to them) but if it's not in their standards they won't bother telling anyone. For example from my understanding the vaad does not obligate a store to be cholov yisroel but you Have the choice to be and if you do they put up on the certificate "cholov yisroel". Problem is for people like myself who are very careful in cholov yisroel can't rely on this, for true the milk is cholov yisroel and the cheese gevinas yisroel, the keilim used were never kashered when the store decided to go cy. Which according to the Rama (who my rav follows in this) makes the food ossur. But there is no way to know which stores have this issue and from my understand most pizza shops do have this issue.
A bigger issue is for the people visiting and they see a sign cholov yisroel they don't think twice about the kelim I hear a story a week about this issue
(And no we don't rely on cholov stam that it shouldn't asser the keilim)

If I'm not accurate or am missing information please inform me (I'd rather be able to eat in more places then the same pizza shop every time)
So you are claiming that most pizza stores used to serve chalav stam and then became CY?

Not really sure where thats coming from.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #810 on: July 05, 2016, 02:40:21 PM »
So you are claiming that most pizza stores used to serve chalav stam and then became CY?

Yes that is what I'm claiming (though not verified by anyone important, that's why Im not making a fuss about it)

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 05, 2016, 02:41:26 PM »
Yes that is what I'm claiming (though not verified by anyone important, that's why Im not making a fuss about it)
Because its false.

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 05, 2016, 02:41:58 PM »
And can you verify that how?

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 05, 2016, 03:02:07 PM »
Instead of guessing, just use the list!

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 05, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
And can you verify that how?
I cannot know with 100% certainty that anyone is actually serving what they claim they are serving.
(See (1) Shevach Meats, Monsey 2006
& (2) Doheny Meats, Los Angeles 2013)

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 05, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »

Im actually pretty sure that every pizza store in the five towns keeps CY and I can't remember anyone that didn't. Also, how would you be able to find out if a store in that location ever used cholov stam?

Offline Rivky

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 06, 2016, 10:17:25 AM »
Where can I order a nice CY ice cream cake?

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 06, 2016, 10:23:34 AM »
Gourmet Glatt has them from Sprinkles. But not personalized. I personally go to Sprinkles in Boo Park. They are great. (And that's where our future President ordered the cakes for his grandson's bris)

Berrilicous locally is all Cholov Yisroel now and is mehudar. I don't know if they have cakes though.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 06, 2016, 01:08:30 PM »
Anyone have a review of the new Courtside grill/bar? Is it appropriate? A fun atmosphere? Good food? Just wondering considering all the controversy surrounding it.

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 06, 2016, 01:39:30 PM »
At this point in time your probably right (although there are places that serve pizza (but are not inherently a pizza shop) that are not cy) maybe an email to the vaad would help find out