Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 680316 times)

Offline FlyFirst

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #1060 on: December 09, 2016, 10:51:58 AM »
Believe it. That is GG style. They forced themselves in Lakewood too. If KRM would move to town, GG is finished. They wont be able to take advantage of us anymore.

It's just amazing how such a large community like ours is stuck with the monopoly of two rip-off stores. It's almost like living out-of-town where the one Kosher supermarket sells for inflated prices to the entire community, and everyone is stuck with it. But at least out-of-town it is justified. They don't sell large volume and need to make up for it somehow. Here, they have the volume and still rip us off.

I almost don't feel bad about the fire....

Very not nice the last statement. I know some of the owners, they are involved in so much chesed in town and out of town...

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #1061 on: December 09, 2016, 10:55:09 AM »
Put the cost of renovations on top of all other costs.

If Brach's wasn't profitable, what makes you think KRM can make a profit with higher costs?

KRM can be more profitable because they are already buying huge volumes at great prices for their large KRM & Moisha's stores.
So if their purchases start off cheaper, and maybe they have some good employee training, then they can still charge less on the shelves and make more money.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #1062 on: December 09, 2016, 10:56:27 AM »
Very not nice the last statement. I know some of the owners, they are involved in so much chesed in town and out of town...
just bec someone does chesed doesn't entitle them to take advantage of other people. (Not that I'm happy they got damage)

Offline Yankee123

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: December 09, 2016, 11:14:39 AM »
just bec someone does chesed doesn't entitle them to take advantage of other people. (Not that I'm happy they got damage)

I just made this exact argument this morning with someone I was discussing this with. How about their chessed be making food shopping affordable for everyone and a little less sponsoring (marketing) of every organization under the sun. I'm sure people wont lose sleep if their Cedarhurst park concert doesn't happen.

There seems to be so many people concerned about this. Unfortunately, no one is doing anything about this except moan and groan(myself included) online or with friends.

I dont have too many ideas how to take this to the next level, but perhaps if enough people start writing into the local newspaper, and getting their voices out we can get them thinking...

Offline ya

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: December 09, 2016, 11:29:14 AM »
I just made this exact argument this morning with someone I was discussing this with. How about their chessed be making food shopping affordable for everyone and a little less sponsoring (marketing) of every organization under the sun. I'm sure people wont lose sleep if their Cedarhurst park concert doesn't happen.

There seems to be so many people concerned about this. Unfortunately, no one is doing anything about this except moan and groan(myself included) online or with friends.

I dont have too many ideas how to take this to the next level, but perhaps if enough people start writing into the local newspaper, and getting their voices out we can get them thinking...
GG doesnt have to lower ther pricing because it is a free market BUT . dont force cheaper stores not to open and go around boasting about chesed.

@Yankee123 maybe get 100 ppl together (easier then you think) go to Frankels or another store, commit to only shopping ther for X percent off. or KRM or any BK store would deliver for even just 5 families if they dont already.

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: December 09, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »
+1. You can say what you want about their business and prices but they support and the owners personally care for so many orginizations.

Offline Yankee123

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 09, 2016, 12:11:02 PM »
+1. You can say what you want about their business and prices but they support and the owners personally care for so many orginizations.

What you are seeing is resentment. So much focus on this outside chesed. Why not bring it closer to home like into the store...where ppl are struggling to pay these insane prices. Earlier on in this thread i mentioned that I went to get grapes for my son who requested them for school. The bag was $9.57. Sorry son that ain't happening.

side note: As i mentioned before, all this chesed is amazing PR so I'm yet to be convinced all this chesed is 1000% lishma.

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #1067 on: December 09, 2016, 12:14:24 PM »
What you are seeing is resentment. So much focus on this outside chesed. Why not bring it closer to home like into the store...where ppl are struggling to pay these insane prices. Earlier on in this thread i mentioned that I went to get grapes for my son who requested them for school. The bag was $9.57. Sorry son that ain't happening.

side note: As i mentioned before, all this chesed is amazing PR so I'm yet to be convinced all this chesed is 1000% lishma.
you guys dont have a stop and shop or shoprite to buy grapes from?

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 09, 2016, 12:14:48 PM »

I agree with your first point. The chesed that theu do was not brought up to rationalize their prices but to admonish wishing evil on them.
As to your second point, yes it does give them tremendous pr but I personally can vouch that their is also l'shma aspects. Also, if only all businesses were as "self serving" with their pr as you accuse gg of being we would be much better off.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 09, 2016, 12:15:55 PM »
you guys dont have a stop and shop or shoprite to buy grapes from?
They need to buy their onions pre peeled and chopped.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 09, 2016, 12:16:10 PM »

Its seems to me its 0% lishma. It would be alot easier to just lower the prices then to go outside and find things to sponsor. They are literally taking advantage of the 5towns community. A boxed pastry item in GG in Bk as $6.99 and $11.99 in 5towns.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 09, 2016, 12:17:22 PM »
They need to buy their onions pre peeled and chopped.
We arent talking about that we are talking about basic food items

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 09, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »
We arent talking about that we are talking about basic food items
I know, I just couldn't resist.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 09, 2016, 12:21:13 PM »
Its seems to me its 0% lishma. It would be alot easier to just lower the prices then to go outside and find things to sponsor. They are literally taking advantage of the 5towns community. A boxed pastry item in GG in Bk as $6.99 and $11.99 in 5towns.
I guess what does GG have to loose if someone else comes in they can just lower their prices.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: December 09, 2016, 12:21:59 PM »
I agree with your first point. The chesed that theu do was not brought up to rationalize their prices but to admonish wishing evil on them.
As to your second point, yes it does give them tremendous pr but I personally can vouch that their is also l'shma aspects. Also, if only all businesses were as "self serving" with their pr as you accuse gg of being we would be much better off.
dont cover up evil with some good deeds.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: December 09, 2016, 12:22:54 PM »
The 2 points are independent. End of the day they do tremendous ammount of chessed they dont deserve to have people wishing them harm.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: December 09, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
dont cover up evil with some good deeds.
You dont like it shop elsewhere. When I lived there I didn't shop at gg I shopped at brachs. Apparently people preffer to lay higher prices for whatever gg is offering otherwise brachs would still be around.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: December 09, 2016, 12:25:41 PM »
The 2 points are independent. End of the day they do tremendous ammount of chessed they dont deserve to have people wishing them harm.
No they are not. If you are an evil person but do some good you are still an evil person.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 09, 2016, 12:27:40 PM »
You dont like it shop elsewhere. When I lived there I didn't shop at gg I shopped at brachs. Apparently people preffer to lay higher prices for whatever gg is offering otherwise brachs would still be around.
Not true Brachs was full. Many reasons why they closed. But wasnt because lack of customers. The issue is ther is no were else to shop because GG wont let anyone else come in. Thats what everyone is complaining about. No one in BK is complaining about Pomegranate because you can just go shop in KRM

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: December 09, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
Not true Brachs was full. Many reasons why they closed. But wasnt because lack of customers. The issue is ther is no were else to shop because GG wont let anyone else come in. Thats what everyone is complaining about. No one in BK is complaining about Pomegranate because you can just go shop in KRM
What about frankels?