Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 692790 times)

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #1140 on: December 12, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »
It is unfair for you to accuse them of doing any bad. Probably motzi shem ra.

Offline FlyFirst

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: December 12, 2016, 02:05:39 PM »
It's ridiculous to expect them to lower prices as a chessed. Their whole business model is to charge kesef malei for a premium product/service.

+1 and they are still much cheaper than pomegranate.

Offline emjee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 12, 2016, 02:12:43 PM »
-1 on the MUCH part . They dont come close to pomegranate lol. Maybe if I was given valet parking and a free chulent sample with a little kishke at GG on Thursday nights I would pay the premium price . But they don't . Their parking lot is horrible. No coffee at the door like they did when the hey first opened the new store and no free chulent samples Thursday nights . For a place not much cheaper than pomy I'd feel ripped off :)

Offline Yankee123

• View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 12, 2016, 02:30:57 PM »
It's ridiculous to expect them to lower prices as a chessed. Their whole business model is to charge kesef malei for a premium product/service.

Again, im not expecting anything of them. Im pointing out on a chessed opportunity they are missing out on. A big one. Especially because they claim to be a chessed machine. Just saying.

Im not gonna get into the rumors that they chase/scare their competition out of town, because who really knows. If it were too be true, that would change things, but nothing is proven.

What shaychis comapring to Pomegrante?  Pom knows there are other alternatives so gezunterheit do as you wish.... At the moment our choices are being ripped off if you decide to shop in one shop or bounce around town...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:36:11 PM by Yankee123 »

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: December 12, 2016, 02:31:08 PM »
GG benefits greatly from this issue. Pablo escobar did alot of good as well. Would you live in one of his Apt he gave out to the poor?  not comparing obviously ...

GG- is doing some good to hide/cover up the bad.
What is the bad that you speak of? Charging high prices? They are entitled to charge whatever they want (assuming it isnt more than the torah allows) and the market dictates if they can be successful with high prices. Since there is a lack of competition they seem to be pretty successful. If you are saying that the bad they do is in some way connected to this allegation that they forced KRM out of the 5T, I have yet to see any proof or even compelling evidence of this. I am under the belief that they did make a deal with KRM but KRM was not under any pressure from GG to agree to it. It seems to be fair business practice.

Offline ya

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 12, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »
how can you compare them to POM. BK has many affordable store.

Offline JS69

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: December 12, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »
I do believe the new GG location will be a more affordable shopping option under the GG umbrella but with another name.

And if people are willing to shop around at all the stores you can still get good deals. Shop the weekly specials and you will do just fine.

Offline Yankee123

• View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: December 12, 2016, 03:04:13 PM »
I do believe the new GG location will be a more affordable shopping option under the GG umbrella but with another name.

And if people are willing to shop around at all the stores you can still get good deals. Shop the weekly specials and you will do just fine.

People don't shop around for fun (at least most). its very time consuming not to mention just a big pain. So it's not really a great solution.
GG would understand that, its why they have: Schwartz's,Zomick's,chap a nosh etc...all under one roof  ;D

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: December 12, 2016, 03:33:18 PM »
.... At the moment are choices are being ripped off if you decide to shop in one shop or bounce around town...
People don't shop around for fun (at least most). its very time consuming not to mention just a big pain. So it's not really a great solution.
GG would understand that, its why they have: Schwartz's,Zomick's,chap a nosh etc...all under one roof  ;D
So just to be clear, the chesed opportunity that you say GG is missing out on is not actually making groceries affordable for those who can't afford their high prices (that already exists by shopping around), but rather making it convenient for people to get their cheap groceries all in one place.

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: December 12, 2016, 03:38:28 PM »
So just to be clear, the chesed opportunity that you say GG is missing out on is not actually making groceries affordable for those who can't afford their high prices (that already exists by shopping around), but rather making it convenient for people to get their cheap groceries all in one place.
I am in no way agreeing with yankees original comments but it is a little ridiculous to suggest that someone shop in 5 different stores every week to save a small amount of money. The time spent is not worth the money saved. Keep in mind that it is not really cheap in any of the 5T stores.
That does not mean that I think it is GG's responsibility to provide a cheap "chessed" store

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: December 12, 2016, 03:42:02 PM »
I am in no way agreeing with yankees original comments but it is a little ridiculous to suggest that someone shop in 5 different stores every week to save a small amount of money. The time spent is not worth the money saved. Keep in mind that it is not really cheap in any of the 5T stores.
That does not mean that I think it is GG's responsibility to provide a cheap "chessed" store
You don't have to go to five stores every week to accomplish this, I assure you.

ETA: Also, it's definitely not a small amount of money if you know what you're doing. You buy smart; don't be afraid to shop in S&S, TJ, Costco, etc; shop the sales in each of the kosher stores when it makes sense - it's a big savings.

Offline Yankee123

• View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: December 12, 2016, 03:43:06 PM »

Break it down and understand it as you like. Fact is, it's not a normal way of life to go shopping in 5-6 supermarkets, and it's also not practical. I and many don't have the luxury of time to go bouncing around from super market to super market.

When Brach's was around - I went in got everything I needed. I do the same now with GG cause I don't have time to do otherwise. I am spending a whole lot more now then I did in Brach's.

Offline Yankee123

• View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: December 12, 2016, 03:44:43 PM »

You continue to misquote. GG is responsible for nothing and owes nothing to anyone. Just pointing out a chessed opportunity. Because they love doing chessed. 

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 12, 2016, 03:50:01 PM »
You continue to misquote. GG is responsible for nothing and owes nothing to anyone. Just pointing out a chessed opportunity. Because they love doing chessed. 
affordable and chesed are very far from each other. ppl are asking for an affordable store.

Offline JS69

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 12, 2016, 04:07:31 PM »

Yes, they do understand and they also understand you have to pay a premium for one stop shopping.

Break it down and understand it as you like. Fact is, it's not a normal way of life to go shopping in 5-6 supermarkets, and it's also not practical. I and many don't have the luxury of time to go bouncing around from super market to super market.

We are all posting on the DD forums. We are all about looking for a deal and shopping around for the best prices. If we care about saving a buck we will make an effort to save a buck. If besides produce, not much else needs to be shopped for every week where you can't take advantage of the specials. Chicken on sale this week? then buy 3 packages and pop it in the freezer......Same with fish, frozen items etc....Then you are really only going to one store a week. May not work for all but I think it can work for most.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: December 12, 2016, 04:12:05 PM »
Yes, they do understand and they also understand you have to pay a premium for one stop shopping.

really? what about Wal-Mart,KRM, Moshia, NPGS etc are they not 1 stop shop?

Offline JS69

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: December 12, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »
really? what about Wal-Mart,KRM, Moshia, NPGS etc are they not 1 stop shop?

They are on stop that is not the same standard as GG, POM or Seasons and they are in another area that can sustain cheaper options. Brachs was here and closed down for whatever reason. If he was making money hand over fist with his business model would he have closed??? I don't know.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 12, 2016, 04:23:31 PM »
They are on stop that is not the same standard as GG, POM or Seasons and they are in another area that can sustain cheaper options. Brachs was here and closed down for whatever reason. If he was making money hand over fist with his business model would he have closed??? I don't know.
Ok and do you know the reason he closed?  (I dont)  but he was full

Offline JS69

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 12, 2016, 04:25:56 PM »
Ok and do you know the reason he closed?  (I dont)  but he was full

I do not, I have heard rumors but zero reason to put rumors on here.
Just because you are full does not mean you are making money.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 12, 2016, 04:28:08 PM »
I do not, I have heard rumors but zero reason to put rumors on here.
Just because you are full does not mean you are making money.
Exactly.  But full means ther is a demand.  Not making could be mismanage or not enough buying power etc