Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 680288 times)

Offline emjee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #1160 on: December 12, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »
Nobody knows why he closed nor will any of us find out the real reason either . If anyone knows JB they know they'll never get a real word out of him

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 13, 2016, 12:53:34 AM »
Exactly.  But full means ther is a demand.  Not making could be mismanage or not enough buying power etc
Reminds of the Jackie Mason joke about the guy selling watches for "below cost". Someone asks him how he makes money.

"I sell a lot of watches".

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 14, 2016, 10:18:15 AM »
You don't have to go to five stores every week to accomplish this, I assure you.

ETA: Also, it's definitely not a small amount of money if you know what you're doing. You buy smart; don't be afraid to shop in S&S, TJ, Costco, etc; shop the sales in each of the kosher stores when it makes sense - it's a big savings.
In my family we do a lot of TJ, Costco, and occasional S&S shopping. We still need to shop in kosher supermarkets fairly often. And for people who work full time it is just not possible to go to all these stores. Explain to me how you can do all this without shopping in 4-5 stores a week. If you have a family of 6 there is a limit to how much you can buy and freeze. A lot of food is eaten on a weekly basis by 6 people. And I have an additional freezer besides for my kitchen fridge/freezer and garage fridge/freezer

Edit: I really just want to understand how to do it, I am not arguing. Would love to know the secret

Offline Yankee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 14, 2016, 10:59:29 AM »
In my family we do a lot of TJ, Costco, and occasional S&S shopping. We still need to shop in kosher supermarkets fairly often. And for people who work full time it is just not possible to go to all these stores. Explain to me how you can do all this without shopping in 4-5 stores a week. If you have a family of 6 there is a limit to how much you can buy and freeze. A lot of food is eaten on a weekly basis by 6 people. And I have an additional freezer besides for my kitchen fridge/freezer and garage fridge/freezer

Edit: I really just want to understand how to do it, I am not arguing. Would love to know the secret

+100. DW & I are smart shoppers. There's only so much stocking up I have room for. And also, no matter how many stops I make in other stores, I always will find myself back in GG.

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 14, 2016, 11:34:38 AM »

A trip to Seasons and GG to get the sale items in each is not much more of a hassle than going to one. They're basically a block away; it's a minute or two from Seasons' parking lot to GG's.

I think the every day prices in Frankel's are better, and for a small fee they deliver.

You can also order online and then pick up. The biggest chisaron is selecting produce, but if you order everything else and pick up, you can choose yourself for a few extra minutes.

You can check the sales online for each, so plan what you're getting where, and it won't be as time consuming.

This is doable if planned well.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: December 14, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »
I had some time today so I went to Bingo, the new costco like warehouse store in BP, to check it out. Its a great concept and the prices are so much cheaper than anywhere in 5T.

Online Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: December 14, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »
I had some time today so I went to Bingo, the new costco like warehouse store in BP, to check it out. Its a great concept and the prices are so much cheaper than anywhere in 5T.
What's wrong with Costco?

Offline emjee

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: December 14, 2016, 07:34:11 PM »
Sometimes there have been problems with produce from israel, not everything is kosher and you still have to shop somewhere else . Bingo is a kosher supermarket .

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: December 15, 2016, 10:29:02 AM »
It's not a supermarket. Their selection of groceries (especially kosher) is limited.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: December 15, 2016, 12:38:29 PM »
PSA
My sister pulled up to one of those new meters and sat in her car for a few minutes while she finished a phonecall. Obviously the 5 minute grace period expired but she didn't think anything of it because there were no Meter maids around. She got out of her car, PAID THE METER, and went along her merry way. When she got back to her car, she had a ticket with a time stamp from before she put the money in. There were no meter maids so it had to be that the meter itself issued the ticket and one of the maids such it on her windshield.
shouldn't surprise anyone but WE WERE LIED TO.

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: December 15, 2016, 01:06:35 PM »
PSA
My sister pulled up to one of those new meters and sat in her car for a few minutes while she finished a phonecall. Obviously the 5 minute grace period expired but she didn't think anything of it because there were no Meter maids around. She got out of her car, PAID THE METER, and went along her merry way. When she got back to her car, she had a ticket with a time stamp from before she put the money in. There were no meter maids so it had to be that the meter itself issued the ticket and one of the maids such it on her windshield.
shouldn't surprise anyone but WE WERE LIED TO.
That's ridiculous. Also, pretty sure meter rules are no parking. If u sit in car it is standing, not parking, ergo, not a violation.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: December 15, 2016, 01:51:17 PM »
That's ridiculous. Also, pretty sure meter rules are no parking. If u sit in car it is standing, not parking, ergo, not a violation.

Agreed. Nobody really knows how these meters operate. That's part of the problem and why there was a huge uproar when they were installed. But we specifically told they can only notify meter maids. If that were true, my sister would not have a ticket.

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: December 15, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »
Agreed. Nobody really knows how these meters operate. That's part of the problem and why there was a huge uproar when they were installed. But we specifically told they can only notify meter maids. If that were true, my sister would not have a ticket.
Well, in the spirit of the rumors of this thread, serves you right for living in such a horrific location with horrific people.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: December 15, 2016, 02:18:14 PM »

its possible that the meter maid gets a notification that the meter has expired and they can print the ticket out right away without having to get to the spot in time and that is how your sister got the ticket.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: December 15, 2016, 02:26:49 PM »
its possible that the meter maid gets a notification that the meter has expired and they can print the ticket out right away without having to get to the spot in time and that is how your sister got the ticket.

possible, but still illegal. That is still the meter itself issuing a summons. No human meter maid saw a violation.

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: December 15, 2016, 03:19:28 PM »
I don't get it. They took a picture of the license plate while she was sitting?

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: December 15, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »
I don't get it. They took a picture of the license plate while she was sitting?

So it seems.
Either that or the meter maid was alerted and then came over and wrote a ticket even though by the time she got there, there was no violation.
Both options are bad

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: December 15, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »
So it seems.
Either that or the meter maid was alerted and then came over and wrote a ticket even though by the time she got there, there was no violation.
Both options are bad

Let us know what happens when she fights the ticket.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: December 15, 2016, 05:15:47 PM »
Businesses collude so that we overpay for groceries, meters issue illegal tickets, the batting cages on Rockaway Turnpike are closing, we have the only bridge in the state of New York that doesn't take E-ZPass, taxes are some of the highest in the country and our county executive is facing federal charges for having his hand in the till. Why do we live here again?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:20:31 PM by ReadsTheT&C »

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: December 15, 2016, 05:18:16 PM »
Businesses collude so that we overpay for groceries, meters issue illegal tickets, the batting cages on Rockaway Turnpike are closing, we have the only bridge in the state of New York that doesn't take EZ-Pass, taxes are some of the highest in the country and our county executive is facing federal charges for having his hand in the till. Why do we live here again?
Because everywhere else is even worse.