Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 680209 times)

Offline Tuna Baygel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #1900 on: August 25, 2018, 11:46:28 PM »
its not so pashut they’re done. Possibly Lakewood and/or Baltimore is but not necessarily 5towns or queens. Supposedly these stores are making profits just working things out now with debt etc so they’re not on their game right now
Not on their game when referring to Lakewood is an understatement. Management consistently changing and a meat department which was the only reason I stepped in there now empty

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #1901 on: August 27, 2018, 02:52:22 AM »
Yup, it's called Five Fifty. I haven't been there yet, but it's always packed if that says anything (although most new restuarants have a succesful initial period). I did look at their menu, and it was limited but looked interesting. That was one of their first days open so it may have changed since then.
I just moved in and this place (five fifty) was walking distance so we went with the family. seems like its not busy anymore since DOMA took over five towns. was told the old chef from chagall is there (i didnt like chagall, but liked this place). high class with prices comparable to the Loft (i.e. one notch below reserve cut/mike's but higher than abigaels). we got like 7 apps and loved em all (except the salmon carpaccio wasnt amazing/reminded me of a lox restaurant flavor though the mrs liked it and the seared sesame tuna was a bit boring). lamb belly was ridic, and the duck with figs was special but a small portion for $22. tuna tartare was good but its always good everywhere.
i got the veal chop for $58 which was perfect (though that was really a mike's bistro price). kids got huge burgers with fries for $24. they also had chicken fingers. too stuffed for desert.
If u have money to burn :) and want a really nice quiet dinner in the five towns, this place is pretty good and definitely better than the Loft imho, though not sure how long it will last not full on a sunday night...
menu is here without prices. http://www.greatkosherrestaurants.com/kosher_images/uploads/1784236095menu_550.pdf

Online ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: August 27, 2018, 08:26:44 AM »
I just moved in and this place (five fifty) was walking distance so we went with the family. seems like its not busy anymore since DOMA took over five towns. was told the old chef from chagall is there (i didnt like chagall, but liked this place). high class with prices comparable to the Loft (i.e. one notch below reserve cut/mike's but higher than abigaels). we got like 7 apps and loved em all (except the salmon carpaccio wasnt amazing/reminded me of a lox restaurant flavor though the mrs liked it and the seared sesame tuna was a bit boring). lamb belly was ridic, and the duck with figs was special but a small portion for $22. tuna tartare was good but its always good everywhere.
i got the veal chop for $58 which was perfect (though that was really a mike's bistro price). kids got huge burgers with fries for $24. they also had chicken fingers. too stuffed for desert.
If u have money to burn :) and want a really nice quiet dinner in the five towns, this place is pretty good and definitely better than the Loft imho, though not sure how long it will last not full on a sunday night...
menu is here without prices. http://www.greatkosherrestaurants.com/kosher_images/uploads/1784236095menu_550.pdf
Welcome to the neighborhood
Nice review. We liked it as well . Their takeout is supposed to be really good as well although I never tried it

Offline Yankee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: August 27, 2018, 04:06:06 PM »
I stopped reading at "nitch"
Correction:
We have been contacted by Heller, Horowitz & Feit, P.C. who are counsel to Kissena Glatt Farms, LLC and its owner, Mr. Aron Hirtz. They have stated that “contrary to the factual assertion in the article, our clients (i) did not “put in a bid” for the store; and (ii) are not “desperate to buy it.” They demand that we immediately remove the reference to their clients in the article and publish a statement  acknowledging that the initial reference to their clients in the article and publish a statement acknowledging that the initial reference was in error and that we regret the mistake.  ;D ;D

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: August 27, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »
There’s a store in Great Neck called Best Market that just opened kosher meat/fish Dept. inside a regular grocery store. All the Seasons meat guys from Queens are there.

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: August 27, 2018, 06:56:46 PM »
Welcome to the neighborhood
Nice review. We liked it as well . Their takeout is supposed to be really good as well although I never tried it
their takeout is very good. I haven't been impressed by the dine in though.

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: August 27, 2018, 06:59:00 PM »
their takeout is very good. I haven't been impressed by the dine in though.
i didnt notice a takeout section or a menu, is it at the same entrance you just ask for takeout? do they have a shabbos/yom tov menu?

Also, anyone know of like a shwarma place in five towns open late (like midnight)? whats my best bet for after 11?

Online Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: August 27, 2018, 07:03:55 PM »
i didnt notice a takeout section or a menu, is it at the same entrance you just ask for takeout? do they have a shabbos/yom tov menu?

Also, anyone know of like a shwarma place in five towns open late (like midnight)? whats my best bet for after 11?

Ahuva's express

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: August 27, 2018, 07:35:01 PM »

I think it's the entrance next door. The only thing I had from there was a smoked fish platter which was really good if you like that kind of thing .

Offline am7734

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: August 27, 2018, 11:38:20 PM »

Sushi Tokyo, Holy Schnitzel on Thursdays(?)....

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: August 28, 2018, 12:06:09 AM »
Sushi Tokyo, Holy Schnitzel on Thursdays(?)....
Ahuva's express
i made it to ahuvas express (closes at 11 sun-wednesday then 2am thurs), holy shnitzel is also 11. thx

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: August 29, 2018, 07:44:54 PM »
Just got pulled over by a Nassau County anti-semitic police offer and received seat belt ticket.

But I was wearing a seat belt!

I was wearing the seat belt, with the strap behind my back. He said since there is no code for wearing a seat belt improperly, he just has to write "no seat belt". And that's what I was ticketed for.

Does anybody know if there is a law how I need to wear my seat-belt? And if he is allowed to write "no seat-belt" if I really was?

The cops name is M. Witter

Offline sams

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: August 29, 2018, 07:58:40 PM »
Just got pulled over by a Nassau County anti-semitic police offer and received seat belt ticket.

But I was wearing a seat belt!

I was wearing the seat belt, with the strap behind my back. He said since there is no code for wearing a seat belt improperly, he just has to write "no seat belt". And that's what I was ticketed for.

Does anybody know if there is a law how I need to wear my seat-belt? And if he is allowed to write "no seat-belt" if I really was?

The cops name is M. Witter
How do you know he was antisemite?

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: August 29, 2018, 08:01:54 PM »
How do you know he was antisemite?

Attitude. Was obvious.

Offline am7734

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: August 29, 2018, 08:14:01 PM »
Attitude. Was obvious.

maybe he really really dislikes people who wear their seatbelt in that manner.....?

Offline am7734

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: August 29, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »
In all seriousness, I once got pulled for "not wearing my seatbelt" when I was wearing it, so I feel your pain. This was in Brooklyn on coney island ave and got it off after hiring a lawyer.

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #1916 on: August 29, 2018, 08:24:11 PM »
In all seriousness, I once got pulled for "not wearing my seatbelt" when I was wearing it, so I feel your pain. This was in Brooklyn on coney island ave and got it off after hiring a lawyer.
how is it worth it to hire a lawyer it'll cost more than the $150 ticket

Offline am7734

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: August 29, 2018, 08:25:34 PM »
great question.

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: August 29, 2018, 08:51:11 PM »
as an aside, you should never wear your seat belt like that (sorry for preaching)

Offline Sport

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: August 29, 2018, 09:19:23 PM »
Points?