Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 680331 times)

Offline Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #2400 on: December 23, 2019, 05:55:48 PM »
As of right now, Bingo is afraid to come to the Five Towns. They are worried not enough people would shop there, preferring service over cost.

They need a push from us Five Towners to make the move. Bing is the only one big enough to not care about threats from Gourmet Glatt. We need them here badly to get prices down!

Five Towners don't seem bothered to go to Costco, so unsure why it would be different for a kosher superstore.

But am I the only one to think that the prices aren't so bad here as they are? I mean, just last week GG had quartered chicken for $2.39/lb, and this week Seasons has an entire chicken for $1.99 a lb. Seasons also consistently has some meat for $5.99/lb or less, be it pepper steak, Delmonico roast, etc...

Is Bingo's meat that much cheaper? Or is it the same price but higher quality? Or do they have better prices in other departments?

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: December 23, 2019, 06:05:54 PM »

Is Bingo's meat that much cheaper? Or is it the same price but higher quality? Or do they have better prices in other departments?

Seasons sells their meat and poultry cheap to get people into the store. Everything else is more expensive.
Bingo has much better prices on shelf stable item. Much better prices.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: December 23, 2019, 07:34:48 PM »
Five Towners don't seem bothered to go to Costco, so unsure why it would be different for a kosher superstore.

But am I the only one to think that the prices aren't so bad here as they are? I mean, just last week GG had quartered chicken for $2.39/lb, and this week Seasons has an entire chicken for $1.99 a lb. Seasons also consistently has some meat for $5.99/lb or less, be it pepper steak, Delmonico roast, etc...

Bingo is much, much cheaper on everything, including beef and chicken. I believe their non-sale price for chicken legs is 1.99/ lb.. their beef is so very cheap. Cannot even compare to anywhere here locally.

G.G. has two issues. Their prices are outrages, and their selection is horrible. They only sell the brand who offers them a good deal, which they don't pass on to their customers. They do not offer a selection on most items. Bingo carries everything, and for rock bottom prices.

What makes me most frustrated about GG is how they take advantage of us Five Towners. Their Lakewood stores carry a huge selection, and are priced competitively. Their prices in Lakewood are so much lower than they are here. Here they have no competition, and they take advantage of that situation. If Bingo comes, GH would have to lower their prices too.

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: December 23, 2019, 07:59:47 PM »
What makes me most frustrated about GG is how they take advantage of us Five Towners. Their Lakewood and Boro Park stores carry a huge selection, and are priced competitively. Their prices in Lakewood are so much lower than they are here. Here they have no competition, and they take advantage of that situation. If Bingo comes, GH would have to lower their prices too.
This. And ftfy
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: December 23, 2019, 08:05:28 PM »
This. And ftfy
I don't know about bp, but the Lakewood store is much bigger, so I'd imagine it's easier to carry more items

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: December 23, 2019, 08:08:15 PM »
I don't know about bp, but the Lakewood store is much bigger, so I'd imagine it's easier to carry more items
I don’t know about the selection but with KRM across the street they definitely keep their prices competitive.

It’d be nice to have a 5T store to keep them honest as well.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Yef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: December 23, 2019, 08:40:55 PM »
Bingo is actually the one to be known not to have a selection. Gourmet (cedarhurst at least) has every selection possible

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: December 23, 2019, 09:42:57 PM »
Bingo is actually the one to be known not to have a selection. Gourmet (cedarhurst at least) has every selection possible
Correct. Bingo has one of each type of item (besides if they have their own brand too, then they have theirs and an on brand), no selection, but rock bottom prices. And they get insanely good prices on Israeli imports which is one of the biggest reasons I go sometimes.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: December 23, 2019, 09:43:16 PM »

Do you work in Gourmet Glatt?!?

They do not have any selection in the Kosher brands at all. Very limited selection, especially around Pesach time. For example, this year past Pesach season they were all Liebers, almost no Gefen.

GG has a great selection of meats, for a hefty price. But the rest of the store has no selection. I shop there all the time. And then I go to Bongo every so often to stock up.

And KolSave is a disaster! No selection, no service, and prices are only decent on a few items each week.

And BTW, why doesn't anybody here even carry Devash milk? It is better and cheaper than what they carry here. I guess they wont give GG a deal...

Offline Yef

• View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: December 23, 2019, 09:50:18 PM »
Don’t work in gourmet Glatt or any of the sort. Sometimes I do however go to gourmet to see any new products that came out or exist. That is not carried in any other local supermarket. First time I’ve ever heard that complaint against them

Offline Yef

• View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: December 23, 2019, 09:53:00 PM »
Rent btw for the staples location is around 100k a month. More than they pay for Brooklyn location. Which services like 500x more people. No way they would come there

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: December 23, 2019, 10:20:39 PM »
Don’t work in gourmet Glatt or any of the sort. Sometimes I do however go to gourmet to see any new products that came out or exist. That is not carried in any other local supermarket. First time I’ve ever heard that complaint against them

Sounds like you don't want GG to have any competition here. These complaints have been voiced here and elsewhere many times.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: December 24, 2019, 02:00:33 PM »

And BTW, why doesn't anybody here even carry Devash milk? It is better and cheaper than what they carry here. I guess they wont give GG a deal...
I believe that place on mill and peninsula (kineret?) Has devash milk. Don't know price though

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: December 24, 2019, 02:01:25 PM »
When did Judd's close? Big loss.
That spot seems like a revolving door
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: December 24, 2019, 02:13:01 PM »
Anything worth getting at Jerusalem mini Mart? Now that they are under the vaad

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: December 24, 2019, 02:26:12 PM »
When did Judd's close? Big loss.
That spot seems like a revolving door

It closed a while ago, at least 1.5 months, under the pretense of renovations, which 99% of the time means closed for good. According to a post on the great kosher food group, the rent was too high, but he is now looking for somewhere else. But a lot of times these restaurants open up a physical location just to get their name out there and close the physical store once they've built up a solid catering clientele, because that's where the money is.

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: December 24, 2019, 02:27:01 PM »
It closed a while ago, at least 1.5 months, under the pretense of renovations, which 99% of the time means closed for good. According to a post on the great kosher food group, the rent was too high, but he is now looking for somewhere else. But a lot of times these restaurants open up a physical location just to get their name out there and close the physical store once they've built up a solid catering clientele, because that's where the money is.

Got it. It has a for rent sign now
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: December 24, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »
Speaking of restaurants, I highly recommend the all-you-can-eat Wok Tov deal on Monday nights. If you order to go, they give you a very large container for the food and sides, and smaller container for sushi, and then a pint container for soup. All for $18.99. I have been known to reverse the plates (which is permissible), and essentially stuff 6 rolls of sushi into the large container, plus a generous serving of meat into the smaller container.

PS: I have no connection to Wok Tov other than liking greasy Chinese food.

Offline JS69

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: December 24, 2019, 03:56:45 PM »
Speaking of restaurants, I highly recommend the all-you-can-eat Wok Tov deal on Monday nights. If you order to go, they give you a very large container for the food and sides, and smaller container for sushi, and then a pint container for soup. All for $18.99. I have been known to reverse the plates (which is permissible), and essentially stuff 6 rolls of sushi into the large container, plus a generous serving of meat into the smaller container.

Agreed, They have upped their game big time. Don't know about the buffet, but the regular menu has improved.

Online shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2419 on: December 25, 2019, 03:10:56 PM »

i went first week of all u can eat. felt the hot spread was a bit limited (would love to have ability to try funkier but i get they dont want to just throw out food). the sushi though is what sold me as they included funkier rolls etc. hope to go again soon and try the takeout :). wok tov has the best and most consistent beef lo mein (and i've had from lots of places) and their dark meat major tso is perfect for that breaded chinese chicken fix.
no connection either, but the new owner/manager is a sweetheart of a guy.