Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 680309 times)

Online stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #2640 on: June 02, 2020, 12:59:04 PM »

If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Online stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: June 02, 2020, 01:18:42 PM »
June 2, 2020
Dear Resident,

All of us in Nassau are, understandably, concerned when we see images of violence on TV, and hear of demonstrations being planned in our area. We also read that agitators from outside our area are trying to encourage violence and looting. I am, obviously, concerned too, not only as a Legislator, but as the father and grandfather of two growing families here in Nassau County. For this reason, I have been in close contact with both County Executive Laura Curran, as well as Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder, and I want to share their responses.

Ms. Curran stated:
“Hi Howard, thanks for reaching out. We are on it. Very well prepared. Doubling police cars on far Rockaway/queens border. Actively monitoring the situation hour to hour.”

Commissioner Ryder said (this was late last night):
“We handled over 2000 protesters tonight in Mineola we had another 500 in Elmont we got one in Valley Stream tomorrow at 1 o'clock one in Freeport at 1 o'clock and then at 4 o'clock is the Far Rockaway one we will have it covered we will keep them protected.”

Let me say that no one in the world can realistically “guarantee” that nothing untoward will ever happen. Of course, bad things do happen, so we need to be prepared. I believe that we are prepared. Nassau County has been, for a long time, one of the safest large municipalities in the country. I think that Patrick Ryder is an outstanding law enforcement commander who has been extraordinarily responsive to my calls and to those of other public officials. I believe that everything that is reasonably necessary to protect our communities against foreseeable events is being done.

This being said, it is reasonable for all of us to take some precautions. For my part, I have closed my Valley Stream office today and I have asked all employees to work from home. Likewise, I have told my family to stay close to home today. With these sensible measures I have every expectation that we and our families will stay safe.

Of course, please reach out with any questions, comments and suggestions, and I will do my best to respond as quickly as possible

Sincerely,

Howard J. Kopel

Legislator, District 7

Online stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: June 02, 2020, 03:33:52 PM »
BS"D

10 Sivan/ June 2, 2020

Lichvod Beloved White Shul Members and Mispallelim, amu"sh:

Shalom U'vracha and good afternoon to all. I hope this letter finds you and your wonderful families staying safe, secure, and healthy throughout these challenging times.

Please note the following timely and relevant information:

1. There is a curfew in place in NYC (including Far Rockaway) tonight at 8:00pm. Please make sure that you abide by the curfew and remain at home. One should go outside of his home tonight only for emergencies. (The Shul will not be offering any minyanim this evening and night. You have until Thursday night (all night- and, if necessary, Friday night), to recite Kiddush Levana.)

2. All the local Mikva'os will be open tonight, and special permission has been granted by the local authorities for their use. Anyone making an appointment will receive a letter (via e-mail) that can be shown if pulled over by an officer. There will be extra security in place near the premises.

3. As you are all well aware by now, there is a rally planned for tonight in the Far Rockaway neighborhood near Mott Ave. Please see the map below for the route the rally's participants are scheduled to take, as they head towards the Far Rockaway boardwalk adjacent to Seagirt Blvd.

4. Anyone who lives along, or in proximity to, the planned route, should try and move their car(s) to a secure garage or a different location away from the route if possible. All garbage/trash cans should be moved to the back of one's home and out of sight. Any movable possessions on one's front lawn should also be moved out of sight.

5. Everyone in the community should remain at home starting shortly before 6:00pm, with all doors and windows locked. Please make sure that your car doors are all locked as well (and personal valuables taken with you indoors). 

6. I have spoken directly with our local police captain, Captain Eric Robinson, commanding officer of the 101st Precinct- as well as our local elected officials- and they are doing their utmost to ensure our safety. Our local police precinct has also been working closely with the Nassau County police department, and officers from other boroughs are being brought in to assist tonight as well. There will be helicopter oversight, constant surveillance on many levels, and the fire departments are all fully prepared as well. Our Shul has separately hired several armed security guards as well.   

7. I have also spoken with representatives of our local Shomrim (RNSP). They will have an additional 20 cars out patrolling our neighborhoods tonight, and will be in regular contact with the police throughout the evening and night.

In light of all the above, everyone should naturally remain calm and collected, and use the time at home this evening for quality family time, Torah learning, and Avodas Hashem, We will all continue to daven sincerely to HaKB"H, the true "Shomer Yisroel," who is listening to all of our heartfelt tefillos, and will send us all yeshuos and nechamos bi'karov IY"H.

Stay safe, strong, and positive! Hashem Yishmor a'leinu.

With boundless love, care, and concern, each and every day,
Warmest regards to all and only Kol Tuv always,

Rabbi Eytan Feiner

Online ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: June 02, 2020, 03:34:31 PM »
Dear friends:
[/size]As everyone may be aware, there will be a demonstration this evening in Far Rockaway regarding recent events in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I was on a conference call last night with many Rabbonim, Captain Eric Robinson, Commanding Officer of the 101st precinct and several politicians and local communal leaders. The following are some conclusions and information from this discussion which are of special importance to us in Nassau County:[/color][/size]First of all, to the knowledge of the police at this time, this is supposed to be a peaceful demonstration. However, in case G-d forbid this changes, the Captain has reassured us that “safety will not take a back seat.” The route, as we understand it, does not come near our area, but nevertheless Nassau County will be deploying extra police. Captain Robinson reported that there is “no intelligence that this will go into the Five Towns.” As you probably know, our Mayor, Ben Weinstock has also reassured us that our own Fourth precinct police are prepared to deal with any contingency. Again, there are no guarantees.[/color]
  • I have been assured that all of our shuls will have extra patrols but if G-d forbid anyone hears about any danger to people or buildings, the police should be called immediately. They do want to hear from us immediately if there is any suspicion of violence or danger.
  • The governor, as well as the Mayor of New York City, have instituted curfews. We must be very careful not to violate any curfew. In addition, if things take a turn for the worse, our streets could become dangerous. I therefore urge that no outdoor Minyanim should take place tonight. This includes both front-yard and back-yard Minyanim. Even though back-yard Minyanim cannot be seen, they can often be heard. Regarding the Shul, although the Shul will have additional security this evening, I would recommend that everyone remain at home from 5:00 P.M. throughout the evening. We will not have any Mincha/Maariv Minyanim in Shul this evening. I know that people have been talking about Plag Minyanim for Mincha/Maariv but I don’t think that this is wise since the Protest March is scheduled for 6:00 P.M. and there could be unrest even earlier. The only recommendation I can make is for an early Mincha beginning at 1:31 P.M and ending no later than 4:30 P.M.
  • May Hashem watch over everyone in this time when danger lurks in many places.
  • [/size]Rabbi Yaakov Feitman[/color]

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: June 02, 2020, 03:35:16 PM »
Cedarhurst and Lawrence declared states of emergency for tonight

Offline David R

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: June 02, 2020, 03:51:03 PM »
Cedarhurst and Lawrence declared states of emergency for tonight
https://www.cedarhurst.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/2020-06-02-14-39.pdf
What does that mean, practically?
ETA: I think the state of emergency is what legalizes the curfew.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 03:56:32 PM by David R »

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: June 02, 2020, 04:13:10 PM »
What does that mean, practically?
ETA: I think the state of emergency is what legalizes the curfew.
Whereas I think you're right

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: June 02, 2020, 04:15:52 PM »
I heard that members of the jewish community plan on joining the march to show solidarity.

Online stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: June 02, 2020, 04:24:01 PM »
Hahah, the stores on central are boarded up with "For Rent" signs to make it seem like they are empty

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: June 02, 2020, 05:35:34 PM »
Hahah, the stores on central are boarded up with "For Rent" signs to make it seem like they are empty
Judaica plus... who knew rioters wanted to steal megillas

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: June 02, 2020, 05:45:15 PM »
The governor, as well as the Mayor of New York City, have instituted curfews. We must be very careful not to violate any curfew.
There is no actual curfew in Nassau, is there?

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: June 02, 2020, 06:02:24 PM »
lol yeah saw a few pictures. If anyone wants to call Paul to ask about 925 sterling for rent he’s available for your calls
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: June 02, 2020, 06:05:10 PM »
No

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: June 02, 2020, 06:18:49 PM »

I don't know about the whole county, but there will be a curfew in at least one village:

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: June 02, 2020, 06:27:39 PM »
Just saw a nice African American family park across the st from me going to the protest( I live kind of near the area) wearing the black lives matter shirts etc. I’m actually quite Impressed they have 4 kids an mom n dad. That’s above avg size I wud say.

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: June 02, 2020, 06:39:56 PM »
Any footage?

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: June 02, 2020, 08:00:22 PM »
Any footage?
yes I can’t post it though too big and it’s not a link. Wait a few minutes and ull see it on someone’s status.
Mr brach made a nice speech

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Online stooges44

• View Profile

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2659 on: June 03, 2020, 03:01:12 PM »
BH good stuff. i want to go to the next one (hopefully things will change and we dont need to protest).