Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 680127 times)

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #2680 on: June 09, 2020, 10:36:28 PM »
For all those who hate GG, pomegranate is now delivering to the 5 towns
i feel like that's a lateral move

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: June 09, 2020, 10:39:21 PM »
Fellow members of K'hal Nesiv Hatorah,

This is an update as of Monday, June 8. This information may change at any time.

We have BSD reached a point in our community where there is near-zero prevalence of Covid-19. This is also true in most areas of New York and New Jersey where there is unequivocal evidence that new cases are extremely rare and that those few positive cases with mild symptoms are not making others sick. This current reality is dramatically better than what was predicted by the medical community just a short while ago. It is now highly unlikely for someone in our community, even without IgG antibodies, to “get Corona” from another person in our community. The current level of concern is much lower than it was before and allows for greater leniency in many areas of life.

However, the fact that there is no longer a clear and present danger does not allow a complete sense of complacency- as there is no guarantee that there will not be a resurgence or second wave at any time in the near future. The next two weeks will be especially telling, in light of widespread minyanim in our community and large protests elsewhere. Sporadic cases are expected even in our community, especially when travel between other cities and countries increases. It is premature to completely abandon basic precautions, and we must be prepared to return to restricted behavior if needed. Any mild symptom must be taken seriously and should prompt a call to your doctor to decide if you should be tested and placed into isolation until the results are available.

While the risk of certain activities is inherently “low” or “high”, the risk of other activities can be modified. Risk of transmission increases when talking face to face, interacting at close distance, being in the presence of large numbers of people, socializing with people from outside your own community, and spending time indoors. Conversely, risk is decreased by wearing a mask, keeping distance from others, having smaller groups of people, limiting interactions to family or people from your community, and remaining outdoors. Those people who had classic Covid symptoms and now have IgG antibodies have an extra license for leniency in many situations.

The following is a list of number of areas where it is often reasonable to take a cautious step toward “normal”. There is no blanket “heter” for any individual to engage in particular activity as there is always a risk:benefit ratio in any decision that must be carefully weighed. You are encouraged to consult your physician to decide if a particular “reasonable” activity is right for you.

1)     Minyan:
It is safer to daven outdoors with a small group of the same people each day, with wearing a mask and maintaining at least 6 feet between each person. If davening outdoors, it may be reasonable to remove masks while standing in your place and facing forward during Shmoneh Esrei or while listening to Krias Hatorah.

2)     Chavrusos:
While it is safer to learn with a chavrusa outdoors separated by a six-foot table while wearing a mask, it may be reasonable to learn indoors without a mask with the same chavrusa each day, especially if one chavrusa is IgG antibody positive.

3)     Shidduchim:
While it is safer for the boy and girl to drive in separate cars and remain 6 feet apart while dating outdoors, if both are from New York/ New Jersey it may be reasonable for them to drive in the same car and date in an indoor location that is not crowded and where distance is maintained.

4)     Guests:
While it is safer to not to host family from other cities, it may be reasonable to host children or parents who have not experienced symptoms and are generally careful with their behavior. Each situation is different- so it is best to discuss with your physician.

5)     Airplane travel:
While it is safer not to expose yourself to the crowds of unfamiliar people in airports and airplanes, it may be reasonable to travel as there are no recent reports of disease transmission in airplanes, but it is advisable to wear an N95 mask.

6)     Medical care:
All routine dental care and health maintenance should be taken care of now. This is especially true as many people missed regular visits over the past few months.

7)     Children playing:
While the degree of transmission between children is not known, it is reasonable to allow children to play with neighbors and the same group of friends even without masks or social distancing.

8)     Visiting grandparents:
While older people are at greater risk of complications from Covid, they may ask their physician if it reasonable for them to visit their children and even get a quick hug from their grandchildren or great grandchildren.

9)     Chasunos and large graduations:
Large crowds of people from different communities are still a potential risk for unexpected transmission. It is best to remain outdoors, away from singing, and at least 6 feet away from others.

10)  Cleaning help:
It may be reasonable to have cleaning help if family members are not in the same room and she wears a mask even if she is alone.

11)  Haircuts:
It is reasonable to get a haircut if the barber wears a mask, and certainly if either the customer or barber has IgG antibodies.

12)  Pools:
There is minimal risk of virus transmission in a swimming pool- this is even more certain if the water is chlorinated. Care must be taken to maintain social distance from other families at the pool area and in the water.

13)  Hotels, bungalows, and rental homes:
There is virtually no risk in using a location that has been cleaned and sanitized after use by other people. Care must be taken to maintain social distance and wear masks to prevent person- to- person transmission from people in the lobby or surrounding area.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions or concerns;
​​​​​​​
Akiva Bergman, M.D.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: June 10, 2020, 01:06:27 PM »
Abbott and Roche seems like the gold standard.

Anywhere in 5t to get this? Took bikur cholem but I guess it doesn't hurt to take another one

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: June 10, 2020, 03:48:57 PM »
AC is broken in my car (2 years old) under warranty. Company says they'll fix it, but if it's an issue not covered by warranty, I'll have to pay $190 just for them looking at it.

So: I want a recommendation for an honest and reliable mechanic who would look at it for free or minimal charge. If it's a minor issue not covered by warranty (ie needs more frion) I would have this mechanic fix it. Otherwise, I would take it to the car company.
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline JMHO

• View Profile

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2685 on: June 10, 2020, 04:30:21 PM »
AC is broken in my car (2 years old) under warranty. Company says they'll fix it, but if it's an issue not covered by warranty, I'll have to pay $190 just for them looking at it.

So: I want a recommendation for an honest and reliable mechanic who would look at it for free or minimal charge. If it's a minor issue not covered by warranty (ie needs more frion) I would have this mechanic fix it. Otherwise, I would take it to the car company.
john's on west broadway (next door to the hatzolah) is really fair in my experience.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: June 11, 2020, 11:22:37 PM »
Try Donny, Israeli guy: https://www.yellowpages.com/far-rockaway-ny/mip/dmv-autoworks-inc-17108608
Or Thai: https://www.yelp.com/biz/thai-auto-service-far-rockaway
donny YES. thai NO NO NO. i know alot of frum jews go to thai and i have no idea why-he completely rips you off and then charges even more if u use credit card.
case in point: i needed a new belt for my ac in the car and he said itll be like 150$ ( i dont rememeber the exact amounts but approx.) but might also need a new fan( which he was right about) which wud be even more.If i didnt fix the belt the fan might snap n id have to replace both. He was right n the belt snapped. at that time i went to donny (who i usually go to but wasnt open on sunday, thai is) and he said he'd replace the belt AND the fan for....150$. I was shocked how much cheaper it was and he said "thats y u dont go to thai hes a ganav"

but i cant say enough about donny and vinny theyre great and quick
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline Luvisrael

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: June 14, 2020, 08:07:09 AM »
Looking for a ride for a girl from Lakewood tomorrow night.

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: June 14, 2020, 01:47:06 PM »
Looking for someone reasonable who also knows what they are doing to put in some bushes/landscaping in front of house.

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: June 14, 2020, 05:49:48 PM »
Who should i vote for Cindy Grosz or Doug Tuman for district 4 rep in congress?

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: June 14, 2020, 05:56:36 PM »
omg they are both crazy.

Offline beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: June 15, 2020, 01:04:44 PM »

Tuman

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: June 15, 2020, 09:44:26 PM »
Tuman
just to explain my hesitation, this proposed congressional representative is better known to the internet as "chowbungaman", and he hosts a show on a terrible cryptocurrency.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/fqwkyi/douglas_tuman_aka_chowbungaman_of_monero_talk_is/ (grosz still seems crazier/just purely relying on i love trump)
Why can't our district field a reasonable Republican candidate?

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: June 15, 2020, 09:46:12 PM »
just to explain my hesitation, this proposed congressional representative is better known to the internet as "chowbungaman", and he hosts a show on a terrible cryptocurrency.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/fqwkyi/douglas_tuman_aka_chowbungaman_of_monero_talk_is/ (grosz still seems crazier/just purely relying on i love trump)
Why can't our district field a reasonable Republican candidate?
Because they have no chance of winning.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: June 16, 2020, 10:52:14 AM »
because more than half the district is pure blue so most republicans dont have a chance at winning the general election

I dont know anything about Tuman but I know the local republicans are behind him and not grosz

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: June 18, 2020, 05:27:10 PM »
is anyone else affected by the massive traffic jam the BBY food giveaway is causing?

It stretches from the school past B9 n cornaga light, down empire as far as i can see and down B9. Buses cant get off cornaga onto B9 so thats backed up all the way until Mott. its causing traffic it didnt even know it cud cause.

Im not here to rant, i understand the truck came late today. these things happen. can we figure out a different venue to hold this food pickup?
i held one food pickup in Lawrence High School it has plenty of room there. theres already one in Lawrence Middle school.

anyone on the inside there that can explain y they do it there??

Offline DarcheiParent

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: June 18, 2020, 11:23:22 PM »
is anyone else affected by the massive traffic jam the BBY food giveaway is causing?

It stretches from the school past B9 n cornaga light, down empire as far as i can see and down B9. Buses cant get off cornaga onto B9 so thats backed up all the way until Mott. its causing traffic it didnt even know it cud cause.

Im not here to rant, i understand the truck came late today. these things happen. can we figure out a different venue to hold this food pickup?
i held one food pickup in Lawrence High School it has plenty of room there. theres already one in Lawrence Middle school.

1) There is more than 1 truck. Over 10,000 meals were given out today.... BH!

2) BBY is not Lawrence Middle School. Two different caterers and two different crowds.

3) It needs to be at a school location with a site that it approved by the federal food programs. Getting approval for a new distribution site is a process and for a couple of weeks might not make sense...

Offline Mootkim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: June 19, 2020, 01:14:52 AM »

I feel like the trucks have been delayed every single week. Just go at 9 pm theres no line then.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: June 19, 2020, 09:39:03 AM »
1) There is more than 1 truck. Over 10,000 meals were given out today.... BH!

2) BBY is not Lawrence Middle School. Two different caterers and two different crowds.

3) It needs to be at a school location with a site that it approved by the federal food programs. Getting approval for a new distribution site is a process and for a couple of weeks might not make sense...
1) I saw 1 truck parked in the circular driveway. idk maybe there were more, but i just saw the one.
2) I didnt say BBY is Lawrence Middle School distribution. I said BBY should find a location thats big enough like the people at lawrence middle school did. Not sure what the different crowds have to do with anything.
3) didnt know that. ok.
I just think the massive amount of traffic caused by it should go into account. for those who didnt see it its hard to judge.