Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 680096 times)

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #2760 on: July 05, 2020, 04:48:45 PM »
Thats a totally acceptable opinion but maybe others who are big talmidei chachamim disagree with you and would rather give people the choice to determine a standard that is appropriate for them?  Also, as of now 2 have switched, perhaps soon more will use this hechsher. I would wait before passing definitive judgement.

I'm not sure I understand your point. But one thing for sure, just because someone us a talmud chocolate, it does not mean they have the expertise required in the field of kashrus.

If this new Mehadrin would be accepted to become a member in the AKO urbanization, then there is what to talk about. But if they are not, then they are not in the the network of almost all accepted kashrus supervisions. 

I happen to have asked Rabbis who are in the know, and they have a list of faults and issues of unacceptable standards of this Mehadrun Kosher. And btw, this is not the first two establishments under this supervision. Kineret Supermarket was able to get certification by the Vaad for good reasons and therefore went under Mehadrin many months ago.

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: July 05, 2020, 08:11:25 PM »
I would advise you to speak to someone who is involved in local lashes. Maybe your Rov if he is part of the Vaad of the Fuve Towns.

This change in supervision is a step down, not a step up. First if all, they are much less experienced in the field of Kashrus and might not know what to look out for. In additon, the Vaad is part of the AKO network. Therefore they have access to, and network with other professionals and attend meetings about the latest on the kashmir industry.  This Mehadrin supervisor does not.

According to the Rabbi I spoke to, Mehadrin are amateurs in the field and also have a much lower standard than the Vaad. There are mashgichim who the Vaad does not accept, and Mehadrin does.

Be careful, there is a reason why they are switching, and it is not to upgrade their standards.
Well said.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2762 on: July 05, 2020, 11:24:12 PM »
why be negative here? i know someone who is a talmid of r silberberg and hear really good things (though he is prob to frum/rw for me). the same mashgichim will be there, and is there any source that the standards will officially be lower (vs lower cost due to less administration and team to pay)?

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: July 05, 2020, 11:53:53 PM »
why be negative here? i know someone who is a talmid of r silberberg and hear really good things (though he is prob to frum/rw for me). the same mashgichim will be there, and is there any source that the standards will officially be lower (vs lower cost due to less administration and team to pay)?
I hear what you are saying, but when a hashgacha changes, you should probably check to make sure standards haven't changed, not assume that they didn't

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: July 06, 2020, 10:29:21 AM »
maybe this is just a sign of the next step in growth of the 5 Towns community

maybe its time to have a second option for hashgacha so it makes it cheaper for the restaurants to operate

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: July 06, 2020, 10:54:04 AM »
maybe this is just a sign of the next step in growth of the 5 Towns community

maybe its time to have a second option for hashgacha so it makes it cheaper for the restaurants to operate

Agreed... Assuming the new hechsher is up to the right standards. I wonder how they can prove it.
Maybe they should introduce themselves in an article

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: July 06, 2020, 11:58:24 AM »
Anyone know of a place in Cedarhurst that sells surgical masks?

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: July 06, 2020, 12:03:34 PM »

Agreed... Assuming the new hechsher is up to the right standards. I wonder how they can prove it.
Maybe they should introduce themselves in an article

Yes and explain what the differences are between the hechsheirim as well as the reasons and sources for their positions.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2768 on: July 06, 2020, 03:02:27 PM »
But what if they say we have the same standards, we are just charging less as a community service bc of less overhead from the Vaad salaries? if the rabbis are reputable why not believe them?

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: July 06, 2020, 03:31:23 PM »
Interesting that for 6 years when R Silverberg answered shailos on R Forst’s Halacha hotline nobody accused him of having poor standards. Now that he has a hashgocha though....
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: July 06, 2020, 03:38:52 PM »
Interesting that for 6 years when R Silverberg answered shailos on R Forst’s Halacha hotline nobody accused him of having poor standards. Now that he has a hashgocha though....

I don't think anyone is accusing that. But the onus is on him to prove it, not on us. If Rabbi Forst have him a haskama this conversation would be over. That being said, I some to a rav I trust and he said I can eat there.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: July 06, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »

Well then the Halacha Hotline should be the first to know if this Rabbi is capable if running a kashrus organization. Why not call the holiness and ask them!

Or maybe there is a reason why he is opening a new kashrus organization when the same Rabb Forst he worked for already maintains a true "mehadrin" list which is a free service for the establishments. If the point was to be more strict, what is wrong with the strict list that already exists.

Or maybe this supervision is a step down, which is why the not for profit Rabbi Forst list does not view this new supervision as reliable.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: July 06, 2020, 06:13:17 PM »
You know what I’ll do? I’ll ask my Rav and do what he says .  8)
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: July 07, 2020, 10:41:22 AM »
Well then the Halacha Hotline should be the first to know if this Rabbi is capable if running a kashrus organization. Why not call the holiness and ask them!

Or maybe there is a reason why he is opening a new kashrus organization when the same Rabb Forst he worked for already maintains a true "mehadrin" list which is a free service for the establishments. If the point was to be more strict, what is wrong with the strict list that already exists.

Or maybe this supervision is a step down, which is why the not for profit Rabbi Forst list does not view this new supervision as reliable.

Or maybe...

or maybe...

or maybe...

The point is that you are merely speculating about the standards this new hechsher has and should just ask your Rav for yourself as @justaregularguy said above and avoid attacking Rabbonim and the decisions they make. Standards of how we speak about and treat others must also be maintained at a high level ;)

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: July 07, 2020, 10:56:39 AM »
I heard that there is an event today in West Hempstead where free items from various stores (CVS, J. Crew) is being distributed. Sounds too good to be true. Anyone have more information?

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2775 on: July 07, 2020, 10:58:55 AM »
I haven't trusted the Vaad since they put pressure on the community nearly 20 years ago to avoid shopping at Jerusalem Mini Market who were under the Star-K at the time. I trust Tomer more than the lot of them. ;D Manhattan doesn't have a Vaad and somehow people manage.

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: July 07, 2020, 11:21:04 AM »
I haven't trusted the Vaad since they put pressure on the community nearly 20 years ago to avoid shopping at Jerusalem Mini Market who were under the Star-K at the time. I trust Tomer more than the lot of them. ;D Manhattan doesn't have a Vaad and somehow people manage.

They also caused a lot of problems for GG a while back when they took some mashgiach from Mexico, IIRC.

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #2777 on: July 07, 2020, 11:39:06 AM »
ok gentleman
i think this thread is heading to the swamps
please keep all the LH for your thurs night chulent get togethers

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: July 07, 2020, 11:50:53 AM »
Manhattan doesn't have a Vaad and somehow people manage.

can't compare. many smaller communities have a local vaad. in fact, the OU won't give a hechsher if there is a local vaad. you can argue that maybe we've outgrown it

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: July 07, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
besides for kashrus will this affect the prices as i would hope the new hasgacha is cheaper

naively asking if this will help the consumer?