Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 692467 times)

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #2960 on: October 07, 2020, 04:44:04 PM »
Where can I order Hoshanos To be delivered. I need 15-20 bundles?

Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline upside down

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: October 07, 2020, 05:01:20 PM »
Thanks

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: October 08, 2020, 11:14:42 AM »
Marc J. Sicklick, M.D., F.A.A.A.A.I., F.A.C.A.A.I.

Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology
123 Grove Avenue, Suite 110
Cedarhurst, NY 11516
Telephone 516-569-5550
Fax 516-210-0080
www.marcsicklick.com

October 8, 2020

As the local numbers quickly and significantly go up, things are changing rapidly..   I would like to address a few points .

One basic premise that I stated a few months ago is that coronavirus infections typically tend to decrease in the mid-spring and to return in the early fall.  We cannot behave in the fall as we did in the summer if we expect to beat COVID without many casualties and deaths.

A second premise is that what I'm writing is not about the poitics of personal choice vs. government mandates.  My agenda is from a medical perspective.  It is to minimize damage to ourselves and our families while maximizing life as much as possible.  Our collective goal should be to be as safe as possible while keeping children in school, businesses and stores open, religious life functioning-  to keep life as close to normal as is possible.  If we don't do this on our own, it will be done through state government action and will be at times heavy handed and arbitrary. The State is not acting as a partner with local government. It has decided to be the overall supreme authority.

What are the common misconceptions that can really hurt people?

1) "I already had it.  I can't get it again."
This is wrong.  We don't know that and there are suspected second cases.  In addition, even IF you can't get it again in the short term, and 3 months MAY be a reasonable window, it is not a lifetime pass.  Furthermore, it's quite possible that you can carry and spread the disease even if you can't get sick.

2) "I have antibodies so I'm protected."
This, too, is wrong.  Antibodies are a nice epidemiologic tool to track the disease.  Antibodies mean that you have been exposed to the virus. They do not guarantee immunity and don't justify risk taking.

3) "It's over."
This is so wrong that hearing this said is incomprehensible to me. Look at all the numbers. They are rising. We are a hot spot.  We don't have herd immunity. It’s not over.  It’s not even stable. It’s getting worse. The good projections show us going from what was a handful of daily deaths in the State in the summer to triple digits daily deaths by late fall.

4) "I'm only seeing family so I'm being careful.  It's only my siblings, my married children, etc."
This, too, is wrong.  If they don't live in your house, they have a different world of risks and contacts.  Common DNA is not a source of  protection.

5) "I don't need to mask."
It doesn't help.  It isn't worth the discomfort.  It's my personal choice.  I've heard all the reasons.  While a non N95 does not (fully) protect me from you, you and I wear masks to protect you from me.  It is a communal obligation to be part of society and a collective obligation not to put anyone else at risk. This isn't about me taking a chance on MY health or life. It's about me taking a chane on YOUR life.

6) "If I'm in quarantine, I can take a test to see if I have COVID and if I'm negative, I can end my quarantine."
Wrong.  It can take up to 14 days to turn positive.  You cannot test yourself out of quarantine. A negative test early in the period does not rule out COVID.

7) "My grandchildren are coming in from out of state.  They look  healthy and I'm not quarantining them.  There’s no need."
Wrong. I don’t even understand this thought process. Do you think it’s okay to endanger your neighbors?   

8 ) "I'm taking a vacation in a quarantined state, but I'm flying into Philadelphia, or I'm driving all the way, so I don't need to quarantine."
Who’s to know and I feel fine . Really?  Does the 14 day medical period needed to develop COVID not apply to you? I get calls from people every day asking me to do something about their neighbors. We all have to make this behavior socially unacceptable.

What do I really think is going to happen?

The data point to a "U" shape graph of infections and deaths.  We were high in the spring, low in the summer, and are rising now.  The question is how high the right side of the "U" will be. We do have some control over this.

1) The virus will be in our lives for a long time.  It will change the way we live and interrelate and we will adapt. We will have a "normal" life, but it will be a new normal.

2) A vaccine will be released and have some efficacy.  It will either give some people transient immunity or weaken the disease in the immunized or do both.    When?  My guess is the spring.

3) Anti-vaxxers will oppose any vaccine, no matter how safe or effective, thereby decreasing the chances for herd immunity. Agendas always outweigh reality. (I'm not advocating for a risky or poorly protective vaccine. The risk:benefit ratio will have to be good.)

4) Some people will have side effects from the vaccine, but the overall risk will be lower than getting the disease.

5) Politicians will open and shut our lives based on their political agenda, not based on flattening the curve.

6) Some people will ignore common sense and put other people in jeopardy because they believe in the words of Louis XIV:  L'etat c'est mois. It's all about me.

7) Hospitalizations and deaths will increase through the fall, yet many people will say that it's insignificant until it strikes their families.

What must we do?

Neither herd immunity nor a vaccine is imminent.   So what should we do NOW to minimize illness and disability and death?

1) Wear masks.

2) Social distance.

3) Avoid crowds.  This includes religious services, weddings, other celebratory parties, etc. 

4) Stay home if you're sick, even if you think it's not COVID.

5) Stay home if you've been exposed.  You can't go out wearing a mask if you're in quarantine.

6) Unless you have a real medical contraindication, get a flu shot.  Remember that those over 65 need a stronger vaccine.  These seem to be in short supply so now is the time to get it.

It's not about not being caught.  It's about doing the right thing.

Most of all, use common sense. If it looks risky, it probably is.

The goal is to come out the other side as good as we went. It is to maintain health until there is a vaccine or a treatment. It is to buy time until we are safe.

For most of us it is an obtainable goal with a little inconvenience.

Sincerely yours,

Marc J. Sicklick, M.D.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2963 on: October 08, 2020, 11:35:14 AM »
Marc J. Sicklick, M.D., F.A.A.A.A.I., F.A.C.A.A.I.

The man has more letters after his name than in his name.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #2964 on: October 09, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »
He couldn't fix is either. He told me to go to this place because they will actually fix the module which is obviously cheaper then replacing it.

The chances of me shlepping out Jamaica are very slim to none so unless @CountValentine was serious is his offer to find the part at a junkyard I guess I've got WTF mode for life now  :-\
Sorry been MIA. What did you ever end up doing?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: October 09, 2020, 12:03:25 PM »
Sorry been MIA. What did you ever end up doing?

Zilch. I'm still driving around with WTF mode  :-\

Offline justaregularguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: October 12, 2020, 09:18:18 PM »
So what was everyone’s simchas torah arrangements this year?

I decided not to daven w 10 men in a huge bais medrash in fr so walked 25 min each way to a shul in Lawrence and enjoyed a very nice socially distanced hakafos 👌
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2967 on: October 12, 2020, 09:42:52 PM »
So what was everyone’s simchas torah arrangements this year?

I decided not to daven w 10 men in a huge bais medrash in fr so walked 25 min each way to a shul in Lawrence and enjoyed a very nice socially distanced hakafos 👌
we had outdoor big tent hakafos (only 10 in the middle with distancing, everyone else dancing at their seats). of course all with masks.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: October 13, 2020, 09:06:13 AM »
Far Rockaway Shatnez Lab
Aryeh Stone
1115 Brunswick, Far Rockaway- Across from Seasons Express
(516) 568-5350

Is he still around? I left 2 messages and haven't heard back

Offline DarcheiParent

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: October 14, 2020, 08:47:05 PM »
'As an extension of the pre school/child care program', YDT first grade will resume full day in person learning tomorrow!

No email communication from Yeshiva. Information is only being sent via text or phone calls.

#undergroundyeshiva
#maccabees

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: October 14, 2020, 08:59:43 PM »
#undergroundyeshiva
It aint so underground now that you've posted about it on a public forum, no?

Offline DarcheiParent

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: October 14, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »
With hundreds of families in the school, I don't think this is a secret... although they said this is state approved so I'm not sure why it's underground...

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #2972 on: October 14, 2020, 09:05:45 PM »
With hundreds of families in the school, I don't think this is a secret... although they said this is state approved so I'm not sure why it's underground...
I'm not sure if you are aware, but not all members are part of "our communities". In addition there are countless "guests" on the forums daily.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Online Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: October 14, 2020, 09:06:10 PM »
I'm a darchei parent. Didn't know until u posted it. My guess is that they only contacted parents that have kids in that grade.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2974 on: October 14, 2020, 09:09:13 PM »
I'm a darchei parent. Didn't know until u posted it.

It's still breaking news. The State didn't know they approved it yet, either.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: October 15, 2020, 01:28:52 PM »
Im sure people know about the passing of Dr. Schorr. He is a role model for me I've said this in the past. I dont know how Far Rockaway can be without him. remembering him w my rebbi on purim and sharing the seuda with him and his family was amazing, seeing him in the back of yfr learning the daf for maybe the third time that day, and hearing the familiar voice when he answered the phone for his office. Always kept me on my toes when he throws my credit card back to me after swiping.
I learned in yeshiva far rockaway and when i began wearing contact lenses one morning the lens slipped back behind my eye and i couldnt get it out. I went over to dr. schorr in the back and we went out of the bm and sure enough was able to get it out from where it slipped.
He was a huge talmid chacham who loved learning as much as kids love candy.
It confuses me why he would be taken from the community so early when he has so much more to do!

yehi zichro baruch.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: October 15, 2020, 01:54:55 PM »
Im sure people know about the passing of Dr. Schorr. He is a role model for me I've said this in the past. I dont know how Far Rockaway can be without him. remembering him w my rebbi on purim and sharing the seuda with him and his family was amazing, seeing him in the back of yfr learning the daf for maybe the third time that day, and hearing the familiar voice when he answered the phone for his office. Always kept me on my toes when he throws my credit card back to me after swiping.
I learned in yeshiva far rockaway and when i began wearing contact lenses one morning the lens slipped back behind my eye and i couldnt get it out. I went over to dr. schorr in the back and we went out of the bm and sure enough was able to get it out from where it slipped.
He was a huge talmid chacham who loved learning as much as kids love candy.
It confuses me why he would be taken from the community so early when he has so much more to do!

yehi zichro baruch.
Levaya info
https://5townscentral.com/2020/10/15/bde-dr-nathan-schorr-of-far-rockaway-has-passed-away/

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: October 16, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
Anybody know what's going on with Kol Save?

Recently, especially today, their shelves are pretty empty. They are selling many items which are near end-of-shelf dates. They have Heinz ketchup on sale today which looked off color. I checked the date and it expires next month. That means it's probably a couple of years old.

There are some discount stores that do that, like NPGS in Lakewood, but that is not GG style. Also, not all of the short date items (like their packaged cold cuts) are on sale. Some items are even cheaper in GG.

Anybody know what's happening there?

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: October 18, 2020, 04:39:45 PM »
Stop and shop opening in the old K Mart space in Lowe’s mall.

Interesting bc there’s been talk of stop n shop by burnside closing down and now maybe they’re moving to this space?

It’s actually in a weird place-where is there a close residential area near the mall? It’s in middle of nowhere

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: October 18, 2020, 07:02:52 PM »
Stop and shop opening in the old K Mart space in Lowe’s mall.

Interesting bc there’s been talk of stop n shop by burnside closing down and now maybe they’re moving to this space?

It’s actually in a weird place-where is there a close residential area near the mall? It’s in middle of nowhere

Yes. Burnside is closing down and moving to the new location.

In my opinion, the new location is one of the worst locations to relocate. It is not convenient to any neighborhood, and there is always traffic there.

Personally, I go to Stop and Shop for the convenience. Once I have to shclep to new locatioon, I would just go to Costco.