Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 680349 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #3220 on: May 30, 2021, 04:25:01 PM »
I never heard anything about chicken hearts, and I do not know if you have any reliable sources.

I do know that both Rabbis of Mehadrin are respectable talmidei chochomim. Neither one is gaining money from this.

They worked with the Vaad extensively to make improvements. It failed.

Why would a Rabbi open a shul in the same vicinity of an other shul? Money? Honor? It doesn't matter. The Rabbi down the block would and should never slander the other Rabbi or his shul. They might work on improving their current shul so as to keep their members from leaving them.

The Vaad should do the same.

It does not matter why the Mehadrin opened. maybe it was l'shem shomayim, maybe money, maybe kavod. Maybe not. It doesn't matter. Regardless, they have good legal standing in Beis Din and Court.
Opening a new vaad is not the same as opening another shul. Once there is no longer a single vaad in a town, many more will open and there will most likely be a drop in standards for many establishments . Nobody wants their city looking like BP with a hundred rebbeles giving their own hechsher

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: May 30, 2021, 07:12:33 PM »
Opening a new vaad is not the same as opening another shul. Once there is no longer a single vaad in a town, many more will open and there will most likely be a drop in standards for many establishments . Nobody wants their city looking like BP with a hundred rebbeles giving their own hechsher

Competition only helps improve, as it already apparent from the Vaad's attempt to upgrade.

The teshuvos written about opening new shuls apply to Vaadim and kashrus organizations too.

Our Vaad's standards is pretty close to the lower end standards in Brooklyn. It would be great if our Vaad would be on the high end, but a large part of our local community do not want a stricter supervision. For example, people here want purple Kale on a constant basis while elsewhere there are many months where the certifiers feel it is too infested to be cleaned. Those who want a mehudar kashrus standard deserve to have one. Now there is no place they can eat because they have no idea which standard each place is adhering to.

The Vaad is attempting to address this issue, but there signs and policy are too vague to run an organization on multi levels. (For example, the Vaad will not take responsibility or even allow stores to label which shechita the beef or poultry is. They feel that if it's good for the Vaad it's good for everyone. But some people only eat particular shechitas. Every other Vaad allows strores to label the product. So those who are particular must buy there beef and poultry in Brooklyn. The sign on the eateries listing six different shechitas is too vague and doesn't help anything. essentially they list every Glatt Kosher shechita there is!)

And again, our Vaad aministrator had no problem starting Kehila Kashrus to up the standard from the Vaad of Flatbush. Now that he's on the flip side of the coin, he takes issue.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: May 30, 2021, 08:15:23 PM »
Competition only helps improve, as it already apparent from the Vaad's attempt to upgrade.

The teshuvos written about opening new shuls apply to Vaadim and kashrus organizations too.

Our Vaad's standards is pretty close to the lower end standards in Brooklyn. It would be great if our Vaad would be on the high end, but a large part of our local community do not want a stricter supervision. For example, people here want purple Kale on a constant basis while elsewhere there are many months where the certifiers feel it is too infested to be cleaned. Those who want a mehudar kashrus standard deserve to have one. Now there is no place they can eat because they have no idea which standard each place is adhering to.

The Vaad is attempting to address this issue, but there signs and policy are too vague to run an organization on multi levels. (For example, the Vaad will not take responsibility or even allow stores to label which shechita the beef or poultry is. They feel that if it's good for the Vaad it's good for everyone. But some people only eat particular shechitas. Every other Vaad allows strores to label the product. So those who are particular must buy there beef and poultry in Brooklyn. The sign on the eateries listing six different shechitas is too vague and doesn't help anything. essentially they list every Glatt Kosher shechita there is!)

And again, our Vaad aministrator had no problem starting Kehila Kashrus to up the standard from the Vaad of Flatbush. Now that he's on the flip side of the coin, he takes issue.
There is definitely always the potential for such problems when you have only one hashgacha in a town. But there is potential for many more problems if you have multiple hechsherim. I am not talking about anyone's motives, as I don't think it makes a difference in this regard

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: May 30, 2021, 08:16:43 PM »
There is definitely always the potential for such problems when you have only one hashgacha in a town. But there is potential for many more problems if you have multiple hechsherim. I am not talking about anyone's motives, as I don't think it makes a difference in this regard
Anyway, there are ways to pressure the vaad into labeling different shechitas for example, without resorting to erkaos

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: May 30, 2021, 10:40:18 PM »
Anyway, there are ways to pressure the vaad into labeling different shechitas for example, without resorting to erkaos

Shechita labeling is just a small example. It happens to be they were pressured for years to do it. Even the Rabbis behind Mehadrin begged for it before opening their own hasgacha. The Vaad wouldn't budge. They have all kinds of excuses. They also don't let the stores label the repackaged candies/nuts. Almost all Vaadim label which hashgacha certifies the repackaged product. The Vaad feels if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for everyone.

There are many other issues too. There is nothing wrong with having different hashgachos in a place as large as ours to satisfy our diverse community.

I actually feel bad for the few Vaad Rabonim involved because they are good people and mean well. They are unfortunately being taken for a ride by the Vaad Kashrus administrator who will not let anybody get in his way. When a problem is discovered, instead of addressing the problem, he gets rid of the problem-finder. Hw will not take any advice from anybody. The Vaad would look a lot different without him.

Why can't we in the Five Towns have at least the same standards as his Kehila Kashrus in Flatbush? If that would be the standard, the stores would have to go along with it. Don't we deserve at least that?!?

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3225 on: May 30, 2021, 11:35:01 PM »
Shechita labeling is just a small example. It happens to be they were pressured for years to do it. Even the Rabbis behind Mehadrin begged for it before opening their own hasgacha. The Vaad wouldn't budge. They have all kinds of excuses. They also don't let the stores label the repackaged candies/nuts. Almost all Vaadim label which hashgacha certifies the repackaged product. The Vaad feels if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for everyone.

There are many other issues too. There is nothing wrong with having different hashgachos in a place as large as ours to satisfy our diverse community.

I actually feel bad for the few Vaad Rabonim involved because they are good people and mean well. They are unfortunately being taken for a ride by the Vaad Kashrus administrator who will not let anybody get in his way. When a problem is discovered, instead of addressing the problem, he gets rid of the problem-finder. Hw will not take any advice from anybody. The Vaad would look a lot different without him.

Why can't we in the Five Towns have at least the same standards as his Kehila Kashrus in Flatbush? If that would be the standard, the stores would have to go along with it. Don't we deserve at least that?!?

I agree there should be no slander... And that should work both ways.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: May 30, 2021, 11:36:28 PM »

which population does the new hechsher cater to? are there people who only eat the new hechsher and don't trust the vaad?

Offline 5tguy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: May 30, 2021, 11:37:36 PM »
does anyone know why the vaad waited 20 years before applying for 501c3 tax exempt status? Are they trying to hide something?

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: May 30, 2021, 11:57:22 PM »

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: May 31, 2021, 12:11:11 AM »

I actually feel bad for the few Vaad Rabonim involved because they are good people and mean well. They are unfortunately being taken for a ride by the Vaad Kashrus administrator who will not let anybody get in his way.
Isn't the Vaad Kashrus administrator hired by the Vaad Rabonim? Perhaps you should speak to your Rov...

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: May 31, 2021, 01:39:33 PM »
Walking down central Ave today I noticed an additional vaad kashrus paper in several stores. It lists what levels of kashrus that particular store keeps to. For ex. Pas yisroel, yoshon, checking lettuce for bugs.
Interesting addition .
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline brodes18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, UA 1K, AA Platinum
« Reply #3231 on: May 31, 2021, 01:52:13 PM »
Anyone know where to drop off boxes of sheimos?

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: May 31, 2021, 03:01:20 PM »
Anyone know where to drop off boxes of sheimos?
seforim forwarders
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: May 31, 2021, 08:47:56 PM »
Walking down central Ave today I noticed an additional vaad kashrus paper in several stores. It lists what levels of kashrus that particular store keeps to. For ex. Pas yisroel, yoshon, checking lettuce for bugs.
Interesting addition .
Pas yisroel and yoshon can be optional, but isn't big checking necessary?

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: May 31, 2021, 11:30:26 PM »
Pas yisroel and yoshon can be optional, but isn't big checking necessary?

Checking for the worms in fish is a machlokes. They are pretty large and gross. But since they grow in the flesh of the skin of the fish, it is debatable if they are halachicly prohibited.

Some poskim hold they are o.k. to eat, and not everyone checks for them even when they know they are present.

They are very often found in white fish, and in wild salmon. The farmed salmon never had these worms. (Costco sells both types of salmon frozen. The farmed is worm free.

Personally, even if they are kosher, I would never touch fish with them.

When they are present, the expert knows how to locate them in the flesh and remove them. They are very hard to find and remove. They are alive and can blend in to the fish.

In this picture, the expert removed some of them from the white fish.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: May 31, 2021, 11:45:12 PM »
Checking for the worms in fish is a machlokes. They are pretty large and gross. But since they grow in the flesh of the skin of the fish, it is debatable if they are halachicly prohibited.

Some poskim hold they are o.k. to eat, and not everyone checks for them even when they know they are present.

They are very often found in white fish, and in wild salmon. The farmed salmon never had these worms. (Costco sells both types of salmon frozen. The farmed is worm free.

Personally, even if they are kosher, I would never touch fish with them.

When they are present, the expert knows how to locate them in the flesh and remove them. They are very hard to find and remove. They are alive and can blend in to the fish.

In this picture, the expert removed some of them from the white fish.

I was quoting someone who mentioned checking lettuce for bugs

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: May 31, 2021, 11:57:43 PM »
I think we should start a GoFundMe to help @sammyp relocate to Lakewood ??? ;D

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: June 01, 2021, 06:18:51 AM »
I think we should start a GoFundMe to help @sammyp relocate to Lakewood ??? ;D

Please explain comment. If you want to dispute something I wrote, go ahead. If you mean you want everything to remain status quo without anybody bothering you, then I am not the one with the problem.

I provided a picture because people were curious about what the new sign meant. Someone misunderstood that it meant checking vegetables, which is mandatory and done at all Vaad establishments according to Vaad standards.

I was trying to explain why the checking in fish is optional.

This photo was actually taken at a local establishment which is under the Vaad who check and remove these worms. I personally eat from this establishment's fish and trust their process in removing these worms.

I provided factual information, and you get offended. That does not reflect well on you. Argue the facts. Don't shoot insults.

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: June 01, 2021, 08:18:22 AM »
Please explain comment. If you want to dispute something I wrote, go ahead. I provided factual information, and you get offended. That does not reflect well on you. Argue the facts. Don't shoot insults.
tldr:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:24:25 AM by JlmBoi »
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: June 01, 2021, 08:28:10 AM »
Please explain comment. If you want to dispute something I wrote, go ahead. If you mean you want everything to remain status quo without anybody bothering you, then I am not the one with the problem.

I provided a picture because people were curious about what the new sign meant. Someone misunderstood that it meant checking vegetables, which is mandatory and done at all Vaad establishments according to Vaad standards.

I was trying to explain why the checking in fish is optional.

This photo was actually taken at a local establishment which is under the Vaad who check and remove these worms. I personally eat from this establishment's fish and trust their process in removing these worms.

I provided factual information, and you get offended. That does not reflect well on you. Argue the facts. Don't shoot insults.
Thousand apologies to you sir. I have no stake here whatsoever, I just felt sorry for you with the issues you have with Covid/Kashrus in the 5T and offered some humor.. I take it fully back if it came across offensive.