Topic Wiki

This is a wiki. Information about this area goes here. Update it as necessary. You can have special sections for Restaurants, Shuls, Hotels, and Attractions, Like this:

Restaurants

Shuls

Hotels

Attractions

http://5townscentral.com/
« Last edited by bb1836 on May 12, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread  (Read 690947 times)

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #3240 on: June 01, 2021, 09:19:09 AM »

Another example is chometz after Pesach. Most Vaadim do not allow purchasing chometz from C&S distributor l'chatchila. That is OU, Star-k, Chof-K, AKO and most Vaadim standard. This was also the opinion of Rabbi Belsky ztl. Our Vaad does allow our local stores to purchase chometz from C&S im.mediately after Pesach. Those who want to be mehader have no place to shop after Pesach locally.)

The statement about Pesach and C&S is wrong and based on the old situation. The Chof-K took over the mechira from the prior Rov who was handling it (which was a more controversial/questionable mechira) and in between that, before Chof-K took over, R' Belsky actually wrote a new shtar himself that they used for a short while
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 09:30:39 AM by blerbz »

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: June 01, 2021, 09:19:35 AM »
Thousand apologies to you sir. I have no stake here whatsoever, I just felt sorry for you with the issues you have with Covid/Kashrus in the 5T and offered some humor.. I take it fully back if it came across offensive.
You and others are implying that you want the Kashrus here to stay status quo, and you are also acknowledging that in places like Lakewood there might be a higher standard.

I am happy we agree on this issue. That is why for those that live in this area, there is a need for another Hashgacha to satisfy the "Lakewood" people that happen to live here.

I am not asking the Vaad to change. That will never happen, especially because most people here do not want change and the restrictions that come along with change. I am just asking them not to get upset when other agencies open. As we see here, the community is diverse. Just like we need different types of shuls and schools, we need different standards of certification.

You might not want a Hashgacha which does not allow certain greens, while others prefer that. Why should they have to move to Lakewood? Let that crowd have their own Hashgacha without slandering them.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: June 01, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »

Your statement about Pesach and C&S is just plain wrong and based on the old situation. The Chof-K took over the mechira from the prior Rov who was handling it (which was a more controversial/questionable mechira)

But it fits with the rest of your diatribe :)

Really?!?

I spoke to Rabbi Gersten in the OU who arranged this new mechira with Rabbi Belsky ZTL and he told me it was only meant to work as a b'dieved. Rabbi Belay felt the old mechira was worthless.

I also spoke to the Rabbi in the Chof-K who worked with Rabbi Belsky ZTL and who is actually the one who makes the mechira with C&S! I spoke to him again this year. He told me it is only done to make the best possible b'dieved. He confirmed with me that it is not meant to be relied on as a l'chatchila.

That is also the current position of the Star-K and AKO.

Facts matter.

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: June 01, 2021, 09:32:47 AM »
Really?!?

I spoke to Rabbi Gersten in the OU who arranged this new mechira with Rabbi Belsky ZTL and he told me it was only meant to work as a b'dieved. Rabbi Belay felt the old mechira was worthless.

I also spoke to the Rabbi in the Chof-K who worked with Rabbi Belsky ZTL and who is actually the one who makes the mechira with C&S! I spoke to him again this year. He told me it is only done to make the best possible b'dieved. He confirmed with me that it is not meant to be relied on as a l'chatchila.

That is also the current position of the Star-K and AKO.

Facts matter.
I guess the crux of my statement was your statement that the Chof-K doesn't approve of it can't be true if they are the ones handling the mechira

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3244 on: June 01, 2021, 09:51:49 AM »

They are very often found in white fish, and in wild salmon.
When they are present, the expert knows how to locate them in the flesh and remove them.

The ones in white fish are very different from the ones in wild salmon both factually and halachically.

They would like to believe that they are able to find and remove them but that has been shown to be folly by many scientific studies.

Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: June 01, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »

You and others are implying that you want the Kashrus here to stay status quo,
I haven't seen that. Can you point to where?

Facts matter.
Lol

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: June 01, 2021, 10:05:16 AM »

I am happy we agree on this issue. That is why for those that live in this area, there is a need for another Hashgacha to satisfy the "Lakewood" people that happen to live here.

Did the new hechsher fill that void?

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: June 01, 2021, 10:12:21 AM »
The ones in white fish are very different from the ones in wild salmon both factually and halachically.

They would like to believe that they are able to find and remove them but that has been shown to be folly by many scientific studies.

I don't know what scientific studies you are talking about. Go into Gourmet Glatt by the Ossies fish department. As for Rabbi Beer (I think that's his name). He is an expert on fish worms. He can show you them.

Instead of reading scientific stuff off the web, you might want to do some real hands-on research like I did. I saw them with my own eyes. I only took a picture of the white fish though.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: June 01, 2021, 10:19:18 AM »
I guess the crux of my statement was your statement that the Chof-K doesn't approve of it can't be true if they are the ones handling the mechira

The story was that Rabbi Belsky zt"l wanted to re-do the sale so it will work at least b'dieved for those who might mistakenly purchase chometz from Stop & Shop or any other store supplied by C&S after Pesach. However, he did not have the resources or connections to make the sale happen. Chof-K is the certifier on C&S year round. They offered to implement this mechira with no cost to anybody since they go in there anyway and they already had a relationship with the company.

They do not allow their establishments to purchase chometz owned by C&S over Pesach l'chatchila.

The OU follows the psak of Rabbi Soleveichick zt"l who did not allow or rely on any mechira for big companies. Rabbi Gersten of the OU has said publicly in many shiurim that Rabbi Belsky zt"l held this new mechira was only in case of a b'dieved and not to be relied on l'chatchila.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: June 01, 2021, 10:24:57 AM »
I don't know what scientific studies you are talking about. Go into Gourmet Glatt by the Ossies fish department. As for Rabbi Beer (I think that's his name). He is an expert on fish worms. He can show you them.

Instead of reading scientific stuff off the web, you might want to do some real hands-on research like I did. I saw them with my own eyes. I only took a picture of the white fish though.
LOL
It is not difficult to find some and no study is needed for that. The question is how many are NOT found when searching. For that you need various scientific methods. There are many studies out there since the worms in wild salmon are found in almost every single saltwater fish (including herring) and can cause health issues if such fish are not properly cooked or salted or the like.

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: June 01, 2021, 10:27:30 AM »
LOL
It is not difficult to find some and no study is needed for that. The question is how many are NOT found when searching. For that you need various scientific methods. There are many studies out there since the worms in wild salmon are found in almost every single saltwater fish (including herring) and can cause health issues if such fish are not properly cooked or salted or the like.
I was under the impression anisakis and tapeworms are two different things.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: June 01, 2021, 10:33:30 AM »
I was under the impression anisakis and tapeworms are two different things.
They are.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: June 01, 2021, 10:35:43 AM »
They are.

Did you go to a store and see them?

What is your source for the Halachic difference?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: June 01, 2021, 10:39:59 AM »
Did you go to a store and see them?

What is your source for the Halachic difference?
Store? LOL I put MANY hours of research into these works well before there were stores "removing" them.

My source is my many hours of research into these worms and hilchos tolaim that were used as sources by various well know poskim across the spectrum.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: June 01, 2021, 10:52:53 AM »
Store? LOL I put MANY hours of research into these works well before there were stores "removing" them.

My source is my many hours of research into these worms and hilchos tolaim that were used as sources by various well know poskim across the spectrum.

Can you provide the name of one posek who says there is a Halachic difference?

I have also done a lot of research, including hands on. I have never spoken to anybody who differentiates between the two. I have also seen the worms being removed from both.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: June 01, 2021, 10:56:13 AM »
Can you provide the name of one posek who says there is a Halachic difference?

I have also done a lot of research, including hands on. I have never spoken to anybody who differentiates between the two. I have also seen the worms being removed from both.
I would need to review my notes since I do not remember names for specific items offhand.

Seeing them removed tells you next to nothing.

Offline momo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline Positive energy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: June 11, 2021, 03:44:22 AM »
Does the owner of 550 restaurant and owns banner fish ,had insurance on the losses now with the recall ? Wonder if that was a sign from hashem because the chilul hashem he caused in the kashrus world

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: June 11, 2021, 04:53:10 AM »
Does the owner of 550 restaurant and owns banner fish ,had insurance on the losses now with the recall ? Wonder if that was a sign from hashem because the chilul hashem he caused in the kashrus world
At least change your name....

The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: June 11, 2021, 06:15:08 AM »
the chilul hashem he caused in the kashrus world