Author Topic: Baggage Rule Determination  (Read 1296 times)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Baggage Rule Determination
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:23:05 PM »
if i fly from lax to tlv by going lax-clt with us airways and the rest with lufthansa, am i subjected to us air's baggage policy (2 bags @ 50lbs each in biz) or lufthansa's (2 bags @ 70 lbs)?
i think with my oneworld reward, it depended on who took me over the ocean. is it the same with star alliance?

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Baggage Rule Determination
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:43:29 PM »
 I always thought it depends on what the T&Cs are with the Originating Carrier, in yur case I would assume that USs rules are what counts. say you were flying US LAX-PHL and then AA PHL-JFK-LHR and that you were a OW Plat but no status with US, then youd have to pay US to check yur bags even thou AA wouldnt charge you a dime. yet if you routing back the same way then US wouldnt beable to charge you for the bags going PHL-LAX

do give US a call as I think those flying in FC or Biz get more weight allowance but Im not 100% sure of this

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 04:45:17 AM »
I agree with steve2, although when calling the airlines, you will get different opinions, even more so if involving an elite card.

Offline how

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 06:26:04 AM »
I flew with El al to NY  and continued on AA the next week. When I called they said i have the same Lug. allow. as LH but at the Airport they chrged me $200.

After I complained enough times I got a AA $100 voucher. (worthless if ask me) it expires in a year.
So YMMV

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
The front-line agents are likely to be as confused as the phone agents.  None seem to know which way is up when it comes to this.

By default the agent will just follow their own policy for the flight you are taking.   
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:44:34 AM »
Pretending that you always take this trip, and being very confident about it, might make the difference, when they aren't 100% about the rules themselves.