Author Topic: Should I move my car to Israel?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline iambarry

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Should I move my car to Israel?
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »
So we're planing on making aliyah this summer.  I've got a 2011 Rav4 in New York with 7 seats.  Its a nice size for us - we've got 3 boys and it gives everyone a nice amount of room, and we can even carpool a friend or two when the need arises.

I'm thinking of taking the Rav4 with us.  Shipping costs seem fairly reasonable.  Tax seems way too high though - its about %75 of depreciated value.  Still it seems (on paper at least) to be cheaper to bring the car than to buy used there - especially since I would never find a 7 seater Rav4.

Anyone done this before?  Are there bureaucratic (or other) gotchas I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance for your help,

--Barry

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Should I move my car to Israel?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 03:09:39 PM »
What are the shipping costs ?

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
What are the shipping costs ?
maybe he has Prime?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline iambarry

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
I have a lift already, so shipping seems to be around $2k incremental above shipping of household goods.

Offline Red

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »
If you're making aliyah, then shouldn't there be no tax?

Offline nyminute

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
So we're planing on making aliyah this summer.  I've got a 2011 Rav4 in New York with 7 seats.  Its a nice size for us - we've got 3 boys and it gives everyone a nice amount of room, and we can even carpool a friend or two when the need arises.

I'm thinking of taking the Rav4 with us.  Shipping costs seem fairly reasonable.  Tax seems way too high though - its about %75 of depreciated value.  Still it seems (on paper at least) to be cheaper to bring the car than to buy used there - especially since I would never find a 7 seater Rav4.

Anyone done this before?  Are there bureaucratic (or other) gotchas I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance for your help,

--Barry
Maybe you should make sure emissions are acceptable , might have their own standards
Don't want to destroy engine with a gas mix not compatible with your vehicle either.
Also make sure they have mechanics that can fix that vehicle when it breaks.
 I rent cars there  we don't even sell here in America.

Proud Father of Son Serving IDF.

Offline iambarry

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »
If you're making aliyah, then shouldn't there be no tax?
I think it was different in the past, but now there is a tax on olim bringing cars.  Its still a discount, even at 75%.  As an oleh chadash I would get the same tax discount if I buy a new car too.

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 01:18:36 AM »
There's a pretty good article about this on the Nefesh B'Nefesh web site, but here are a few main pointers (never actually did this, but came VERY close so I had looked into it):

1) Don't forget insurance costs when the car is in transit over the ocean.

2) You may have to change out the front headlights to the European spec (Note: I'm talking about the ENTIRE headlight assembly, not just a bulb!) Check if the US assembly and European one are interchangeable and look identical.  Ebay can be a friend here.

3) If you don't have blinkers on your side mirrors, you'll have to install extra blinkers on your front fenders.

4) You'll need a letter from a garage saying that they are willing to fix the car once in Israel.

5) Check if your engine was sold in other cars in Israel.  It doesn't have to be from a RAV4.  As long as it's the same engine but sold in a different model, you can at least get parts.  If the engine wasn't offered here, you'll have to ship over parts from the US if something breaks.

6) If the car was not offered here, you'll have to get it appraised in order to get it insured.

There are surely other bureaucratic headaches to overcome, but I think those are the biggest.  Just don't play games and think it will all work out if you run into some insurmountable problem (I.e. Headlight specification issues).  They WILL ship the car back to the US without remorse!!!

Offline gavhaller

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase Visa Supreme, Avis Cadillac, Hyatt Vacation Club Owner, Disney Annual-Pass Holder, BA Avios Executive Corporate Shareholder VIP, Citi Platinum Status, Owner Of DFS - Discover Financial Services
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 01:32:29 AM »
Whatever you do, just make sure you don't bring or buy a hybrid there. The market there won't justify it and that's why the *influence" car company went under.

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 02:20:52 PM »
Gavhaller is right.  There are major issues with selling and trading in hybrids, from PERSONAL experience!
Everyone is terrified of being the unlucky one to foot the bill if the hybrid system conks out.

My brother-in-law has a Honda Civic Hybrid that he wanted to trade in to the Honda DEALER towards a new car.  They refused saying they don't accept hybrids for trade in!  Talk about NOT believing in your own product!  What does that say to the general public when the car manufacturer isn't willing to take the car back?

He can't find any dealer or lot willing to take it as a trade in.  And this was a dealer-only maintained car with complete maintenance records.

They still drive the car to this day.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 09:28:44 AM »
something to look into, for a while they were not letting toyotas into the country depending on where it was manufactured. i know of someone who made aliya and brought a toyota only to have it stuck in meches for months