Author Topic: belarc to reinstall office  (Read 5962 times)

Offline YG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
belarc to reinstall office
« on: October 08, 2013, 08:01:14 AM »
Is Belarc safe? (no viruses)

From what Ive found on google, if one had Microsoft office 2010 on a personal computer and wanted to install it on a second personal computer of theirs, they could download belarc on the computer with the registered office 2010 to find the product key and then use that key to install it on their second computer.

Want to confirm that its safe, and worth my time.

Offline notanonymous

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: belarc to reinstall office
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 08:50:24 AM »
Is Belarc safe? (no viruses)

From what Ive found on google, if one had Microsoft office 2010 on a personal computer and wanted to install it on a second personal computer of theirs, they could download belarc on the computer with the registered office 2010 to find the product key and then use that key to install it on their second computer.

Want to confirm that its safe, and worth my time.
Belarc is a harmless program.

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »
Thanks.

Should I expect the key from a legit copy of office on one personal laptop to work on a second personal laptop?

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »
Belarc is a harmless program.
+1, all you're doing with it in this instance is having it look on your system for the product key that you entered (or was installed automatically before you bought it) on your computer.

As far as using it on 2 computers, I've done it once but stopped using the old computer. According to my IT tech brother you'll either have no trouble at all or it won't allow the install on the 2nd computer (depends on the exact version and original install type). So go ahead and give it a shot, sounds like there's nothing to lose.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 11:55:57 AM »
Thanks.

Should I expect the key from a legit copy of office on one personal laptop to work on a second personal laptop?
It will work. The wore case scebario is the activation will fail.  You will be given a number to call, after answering a few questions from an automated system ('Is this copy installed on other computers?'), you will be given an activation code.  Every now and then, you may be transferred to a live person, but you'll still get the activation code.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 12:02:14 PM »
It will work. The wore case scebario is the activation will fail.  You will be given a number to call, after answering a few questions from an automated system ('Is this copy installed on other computers?'), you will be given an activation code.  Every now and then, you may be transferred to a live person, but you'll still get the activation code.
What does calling the number have to do with anything? He'll be using Belarc to grab the product key he already has off the original laptop.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 01:39:28 PM »
What does calling the number have to do with anything? He'll be using Belarc to grab the product key he already has off the original laptop.
Since that product key was already activated on another computer, activation for the new one might require calling.

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:48:17 AM »
It will work. The wore case scebario is the activation will fail. You will be given a number to call, after answering a few questions from an automated system ('Is this copy installed on other computers?'), you will be given an activation code.  Every now and then, you may be transferred to a live person, but you'll still get the activation code.

wasnt given a number.  only following mesage
(***** ***** ***** ***** *****)The Office 2010 Product Key you provided is blocked for activation and as a result, is not eligible for a free download. To download a free trial or to purchase Office 2010 products, please go to http://buyoffice.microsoft.com.
Is it worth finding the number to call and calling?

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »
wasnt given a number.  only following mesageIs it worth finding the number to call and calling?
From your question I underdstood you were installing from the cd, hence my response.  Call them and tell them you have a new computer and want to install the Office which you had purchased for your old (not used anymore) computer.

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
Will do. Thanks.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »
Will do. Thanks.
Also, I'm pretty sure when I did this I had downloaded a trial and then input my product key there. Don't know if it's worth the hassle, but you can give it a shot.

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »
When I googled office 2010 (thats what version the original legit copy is) the only download i found that i was confident was reliable and safe was from miscrosoft and they required the product key inorder to downnload

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 12:16:47 PM »
When I googled office 2010 (thats what version the original legit copy is) the only download i found that i was confident was reliable and safe was from miscrosoft and they required the product key inorder to downnload
Yeah, looks like they're only doing Office 365 trials. It's possible mine had a free trial installed on it when I bought it. Sorry.

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
called misrosoft.

turns out its a volume license thats been flagged for some dodgy business, and ill have to purchase a new licence for the new comp.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
called misrosoft.

turns out its a volume license thats been flagged for some dodgy business, and ill have to purchase a new licence for the new comp.
How did you get a volume license install?  Who did the original install?

Offline YG

• View Profile
belarc to reinstall office
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 08:58:02 PM »
Was wondering that myself. It's my wife's. It's Acer so I asked the guy at Microsoft whether Acer could have done it, he said no way, Acer would have installed an regular retail license.
I checked with my wife and the person that got the laptop for her 'set it up' for her. I had assumed it was purchased with office and was legit. I have no idea how that person did it.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »
Was wondering that myself. It's my wife's. It's Acer so I asked the guy at Microsoft whether Acer could have done it, he said no way, Acer would have installed an regular retail license.
I checked with my wife and the person that got the laptop for her 'set it up' for her. I had assumed it was purchased with office and was legit. I have no idea how that person did it.
VL is notorious for pirating (because by design it is easy to do so).

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 09:23:39 PM »
If you think you have a legit copy, ask a shailah...It may be ok to use someone else's CD and code to install the same version you already own (but does not work, lost, etc).