Author Topic: KVS Master Thread  (Read 101915 times)

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Re: KVS Master Thread
« Reply #520 on: September 08, 2015, 07:30:45 PM »
We do continue looking for suitable Regular Availability Engines that could be integrated into the main KVS Tool application. Unfortunately, there are currently none available.

How does ExpertFlyer manage to do it, then, if KVS Tool cannot? They seem to be managing just fine, without any problems to speak of.

Offline KVS

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: KVS Availability Tool
« Reply #521 on: September 09, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
They seem to be managing just fine, without any problems to speak of.
We are not aware of them introducing a desktop interface.

As for web-based Tools, KVS Tool Mobile Companion is also "managing just fine, without any problems to speak of".

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #522 on: September 09, 2015, 03:34:30 PM »

As for web-based Tools, KVS Tool Mobile Companion is also "managing just fine, without any problems to speak of".
Too hard to search for different dates after a search. How about a power search for a specific fare class on a given airline on a route?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #523 on: September 09, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »

...and once again, we're going 'round and 'round in circles.

What is the practical difference between a desktop interface and a web-based interface?!?! If you are "leasing" the availability data (or whatever it is you're doing) from a GDS, why are you able to display it on the web, but not in a stand-alone desktop app? Did the GDS that supplies the data specify such a "usage restriction", or what?

Offline KVS

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 09, 2015, 03:47:26 PM »
What is the practical difference between a desktop interface and a web-based interface?!?!
If there is no "practical difference", then why not to use the Mobile Companion for Regular Availability? ;)

Please note that the internal operational matters are outside of scope for this thread.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #525 on: September 09, 2015, 03:47:56 PM »
For starters, the desktop has a quick next day button.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline KVS

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 09, 2015, 03:50:47 PM »
Too hard to search for different dates after a search.
Is there something specific that you believe would make it easier?

How about a power search for a specific fare class on a given airline on a route?
The [Power Search] is available for Award Availability searches. It is not something that would be appropriate for the Mobile Companion.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:14 PM »
Say I want to find TN I class LAX-PPT and can travel anytime.
Find a way to make it easier to find that data. At a minimum that involves a quick next/previous day button from the search results page.

Ideally you'd be able to type in a month and come back in a x amount of time for the results...that's something I'd pay for.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 04:21:20 PM by Dan »

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:44 PM »
The [Power Search] is available for Award Availability searches. It is not something that would be appropriate for the Mobile Companion.

Which is why EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD is asking for the Desktop Interface.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 09, 2015, 04:19:46 PM »
If there is no "practical difference", then why not to use the Mobile Companion for Regular Availability? ;)

Oh, trust me, I don't personally need the Regular Availability feature myself. I'm a travel agent with a GDS and some pretty mean keyboard skillz - I can pull up the availability of a given flight on every single day for an entire month faster than the KVS Tool Mobile Companion can even load the welcome page. 8) By "practical difference", I meant with regards to implementation, on your end.

It's the principle of the matter that bothers me; I honestly don't get why you need to be so evasive with your answers:
Please note that the internal operational matters are outside of scope for this thread.
...that's all fine and dandy, and I can respect that. But why couldn't you (and still can't!) simply say something like "for confidential reasons that I cannot discuss, the data source for the availability display used in the KVS Tool Mobile Companion may only be displayed on a website; we may not display it in an application, nor can we scrape it for displaying in said application, either, much as we'd love to do so. We apologize for the inconvenience." JUST SAY STRAIGHT OUT THAT YOU CANNOT (OR WILL NOT) DO IT!!!! What the heck is up with all of this beating around the bush, saying:
Quote from: KVS
Regular Availability continues to be accessible via the KVS Tool Mobile Companion
Regular Availability continues to be accessible via the KVS Tool Mobile Companion
...like it's some kind of cult-ish mantra, without coming straight out and saying "Sorry, we cannot $%&#ing do that. Period. Now please leave us the hell alone"?!?! If you can't do something, at least have the cojones to explicitly state that you cannot do it. Why the hell is there a need for all of this beating around the bush, and dodging the actual question?!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 04:23:31 PM by Moishebatchy »

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 09, 2015, 04:24:45 PM »
Say I want to find TN I class LAX-PPT and can travel anytime.
Find a way to make it easier to find that data. At a minimum that involves a quick next/previous day button from the search results page.

Ideally you'd be able to type in a month and come back in a x amount of time for the results...that's something I'd pay for.

You can feel free to hire/pay me to search for you... >:D

I'm a travel agent with a GDS and some pretty mean keyboard skillz - I can pull up the availability of a given flight on every single day for an entire month faster than the KVS Tool Mobile Companion can even load the welcome page. 8)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 09, 2015, 04:26:21 PM »
You can feel free to hire/pay me to search for you... >:D

MBSTool?
Will that be included in the Gold, Plat, or Diamond level?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #532 on: September 09, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »
Though I won't employ the same "panache" as Moishebatchy, I would be remiss if I didn't note that he has a good point.

I may not speak for everyone, but I'd submit that consumers would generally prefer that merchants be direct and transparent, even if as a result of that transparency the news isn't necessarily good, as opposed to what appears to be a merchant-driven strategic effort to obfuscate the issue, even if it isn't.

It's almost as if the issue has transcended KVS not offering that particular functionality into, instead, the manner in which you doggedly seem to be playing hide the ball, as if your consumers aren't sophisticated enough to deal with the possibility that KVS well, doesn't have this functionality--for whatever reason.

When it comes to consumers, clients, partners, and parents: Direct and upfront > opaque and misleading.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 04:34:11 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 09, 2015, 04:28:42 PM »
MBSTool?
Will that be included in the Gold, Plat, or Diamond level?

ALOL.

All levels. Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite members get an exclusive discount. ;D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 09, 2015, 04:30:10 PM »
Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite members get an exclusive discount. ;D

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 09, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »

Do you keep the URL for that clip on speed-dial or something? :P

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 09, 2015, 04:42:21 PM »
Do you keep the URL for that clip on speed-dial or something? :P
He kinda mentioned that in its debut here  :)

Getting good use out of this one.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 09, 2015, 04:44:25 PM »
He kinda mentioned that in its debut here  :)

Ha, good point. Searching DDF for "tfslY_AvhLw" finds 6 occurrences of Dan posting that clip. :)

Offline KVS

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 09, 2015, 05:03:35 PM »
Oh, trust me, I don't personally need the Regular Availability feature myself.
Thanks for confirming.

JUST SAY STRAIGHT OUT THAT YOU CANNOT (OR WILL NOT) DO IT!!!!
We did exactly that multiple times already.

"Sorry, we cannot $%&#ing do that. Period. Now please leave us the hell alone"?!?!
We do not believe that such form of commutation would be appropriate, although we appreciate that it might be helpful for some posters.

Offline KVS

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 09, 2015, 05:03:53 PM »
I may not speak for everyone, but I'd submit that consumers would generally prefer that merchants be direct and transparent, even if as a result of that transparency the news isn't necessarily good
We believe that we cannot be any more direct in re-iterating which KVS Tool interfaces currently support the Regular Availability functionality (i.e. good news) and which do not (i.e. bad news).