Topic Wiki

Mint.com
Mint.com is a free web-based personal financial management service for the US and Canada

Description
Mint's primary service allows users to track bank, credit card, investment, and loan transactions and balances through a single user interface as well as make budgets and goals. In 2009, it was acquired by Intuit

price
Free

Security
Mint asks users to provide both the user names and the passwords to their bank accounts, credit cards, and other financial accounts, which then Mint stores in their databases in a decryptable format. This has raised concerns that if the Mint databases are ever hacked, both user names and passwords would become available to rogue 3rd parties. Some banks support a separate "access code" for read-only access to financial information, which reduces the risk to some degree

I saw mentioned here and in other threads that mint.com is secure because it's 'read only'

it is simply not true;

to clarify:
                  Mint needs to access your financial accounts read-only since they don't do any transactions.
                  the user-name and password you provide is decrypt-able since they have to login.
                   if any hacker hacks their database and gets your user-name and password they can make any transaction they want.
unless
                   you provide Mint.com with a read only access token.

Note
the accounts don't have to be from 1 person or the same SSN.
if you have one account displayed in multiple accounts you can hide them in settings (Top left accounts)
you can set what category it should be marked in the future by selecting category > expand "Edit detials" > check "Rules"

Mint-Bills
In May 2014, purchased Check

Description
Get alerts when bills are due and easily make payments online.
« Last edited by yesitsme on May 26, 2015, 03:05:17 AM »

Author Topic: Mint.com- tracks your finances  (Read 55877 times)

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline Ephraimh

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Mint.com- tracks your finances
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2015, 10:10:59 AM »

Link to full article?
Subscription needed

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2015, 02:12:57 AM »
Everyone here use Mint.com and is happy with it? I find it a bit complicated with putting in the checks I wrote out.. Anyone have another software they're happy with?
If you are trying to get my attention/assistance and I'm not responding, please feel free to PM me. :)

Offline Ephraimh

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2015, 10:05:20 AM »

Everyone here use Mint.com and is happy with it? I find it a bit complicated with putting in the checks I wrote out.. Anyone have another software they're happy with?
You can use a simple app for your checkbook needs, I use "Accounts2" for iPhone or "checkbook" for android

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2015, 10:19:25 AM »
If you mostly use checks Mint will probably be annoying. It's great for importing CC transactions, though...

Offline Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2015, 12:56:28 AM »
If you mostly use checks Mint will probably be annoying. It's great for importing CC transactions, though...
Yeh I use mostly CC but need a program that will do everything and not in an annoying way  ;)
Is Quicken good?
If you are trying to get my attention/assistance and I'm not responding, please feel free to PM me. :)

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2015, 08:37:04 AM »
Yeh I use mostly CC but need a program that will do everything and not in an annoying way  ;)
Is Quicken good?
I haven't used it personally, but from what I hear it's great for keeping track of checks.

I don't think it will tell you what each individual charge on your credit card is for, but maybe you don't need that.

Offline Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2015, 10:30:01 AM »
I haven't used it personally, but from what I hear it's great for keeping track of checks.

I don't think it will tell you what each individual charge on your credit card is for, but maybe you don't need that.
I hear. So there's no all around good money management tool for checks and credit cards?

Offline interestedobserver

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2015, 06:32:12 PM »
Long time lurker, first time posting, work for a smallish financial institution in an info sec, fraud prevention, AML capacity.   The aggregators like Mint pose a lot of headaches for Financial Institutions as noted in the previously linked WSJ article.   I hate them as I know a potential breach at a mint or similar will mean a ton of fraud problems for me since they have your credentials.   The problem with Chase sounded like one of my problems.   One of the aggregators hit my sites last year with millions of simultaneous login requests over and over creating bandwidth problems so we brought them down.  The problem with Wells sounds like they went to multi factor authentication (google it).   Multi factor isn't a challenge the aggregators can overcome with their model of collect the login.  The sheer volume of people falling for phishing/malware and the like means all FIs are moving to multi factor.   In a perfect world, I build a feed to Mint upon customer authorization on my site.  You keep your credentials secure and I make you happy by not blocking Mint with multi-factor.   But then enter the marketing folks who want you on our site to read our blurbs, not on Mint's site placing ads for competing products.  But then enter the finance folks who don't want to spend time and resources.   If I have my way, we'll end up with a robust multi factor for you and then a "read only" login that you can extend to someone like Mint.   But don't be surprised to see this "Chase" experience happen down the road with other FIs.   About the only reason we even care about how our login protocols affect a Mint is because we'll get slammed in the customer contact channel.   And don't forget the faux aggregators out there.   Be careful whom you give your login to.  Back to lurking.         

Offline edjack

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2015, 05:47:17 AM »
Come again???

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2015, 09:55:49 AM »

Offline Aerial Dag

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »

Long time lurker, first time posting, work for a smallish financial institution in an info sec, fraud prevention, AML capacity.   The aggregators like Mint pose a lot of headaches for Financial Institutions as noted in the previously linked WSJ article.   I hate them as I know a potential breach at a mint or similar will mean a ton of fraud problems for me since they have your credentials.   The problem with Chase sounded like one of my problems.   One of the aggregators hit my sites last year with millions of simultaneous login requests over and over creating bandwidth problems so we brought them down.  The problem with Wells sounds like they went to multi factor authentication (google it).   Multi factor isn't a challenge the aggregators can overcome with their model of collect the login.  The sheer volume of people falling for phishing/malware and the like means all FIs are moving to multi factor.   In a perfect world, I build a feed to Mint upon customer authorization on my site.  You keep your credentials secure and I make you happy by not blocking Mint with multi-factor.   But then enter the marketing folks who want you on our site to read our blurbs, not on Mint's site placing ads for competing products.  But then enter the finance folks who don't want to spend time and resources.   If I have my way, we'll end up with a robust multi factor for you and then a "read only" login that you can extend to someone like Mint.   But don't be surprised to see this "Chase" experience happen down the road with other FIs.   About the only reason we even care about how our login protocols affect a Mint is because we'll get slammed in the customer contact channel.   And don't forget the faux aggregators out there.   Be careful whom you give your login to.  Back to lurking.         

Interesting info. Basically there is a realistically secure way for banks to operate with mint but it won't happen because it will simply turn banks into a commodity where all the real money making opportunities for cross selling and upselling will go to mint rather than the underlying bank.

Offline Cruzan

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2015, 03:33:31 PM »
Aha got it cool!!

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2015, 07:16:36 PM »
Why does it still say bill due on the 30th if I already paid it 10 days ago? Why does that never update?
When I go into accounts its updated in the balance, when I look at overview its not included in CC debt but when I look at the bills due it stays there until after the due date. It's so annoying is there anyway around that?

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2015, 09:35:39 PM »
It's so annoying is there anyway around that?
+1

Offline popcorn1508

• View Profile
  • Programs: national executive elite, hertz presidents circle
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2015, 09:43:44 PM »
Anyone else having issues with TD bank?

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2016, 02:10:56 PM »
Anyone else having trouble with Amex?

Offline nochum18

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2016, 02:58:06 PM »
Yup