Topic Wiki

Mint.com
Mint.com is a free web-based personal financial management service for the US and Canada

Description
Mint's primary service allows users to track bank, credit card, investment, and loan transactions and balances through a single user interface as well as make budgets and goals. In 2009, it was acquired by Intuit

price
Free

Security
Mint asks users to provide both the user names and the passwords to their bank accounts, credit cards, and other financial accounts, which then Mint stores in their databases in a decryptable format. This has raised concerns that if the Mint databases are ever hacked, both user names and passwords would become available to rogue 3rd parties. Some banks support a separate "access code" for read-only access to financial information, which reduces the risk to some degree

I saw mentioned here and in other threads that mint.com is secure because it's 'read only'

it is simply not true;

to clarify:
                  Mint needs to access your financial accounts read-only since they don't do any transactions.
                  the user-name and password you provide is decrypt-able since they have to login.
                   if any hacker hacks their database and gets your user-name and password they can make any transaction they want.
unless
                   you provide Mint.com with a read only access token.

Note
the accounts don't have to be from 1 person or the same SSN.
if you have one account displayed in multiple accounts you can hide them in settings (Top left accounts)
you can set what category it should be marked in the future by selecting category > expand "Edit detials" > check "Rules"

Mint-Bills
In May 2014, purchased Check

Description
Get alerts when bills are due and easily make payments online.
« Last edited by yesitsme on May 26, 2015, 03:05:17 AM »

Author Topic: Mint.com- tracks your finances  (Read 55893 times)

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mint.com- tracks your finances
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2016, 12:43:56 AM »
Had trouble with citi too, but been fine the last 2-3 days for me

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2016, 11:27:11 PM »
If I delete an amex card from my amex login, will Mint lose its transactions? What if I add it to another login (and add that login to Mint)? Will it get them back?

Thanks!
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2016, 11:41:11 PM »
If I delete an amex card from my amex login, will Mint lose its transactions? no, unless you delete that login from mint it will just say closed

What if I add it to another login (and add that login to Mint)? Will it get them back? It will get them and double up all your transactions if you didn't delete the old login

Thanks!

ETA: never actually deleted an account but had the doubling up issue

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »
ETA: never actually deleted an account but had the doubling up issue
Thanks! Wondering if anyone can chime in on the first part.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »
any way to show and export a specific date range?

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2016, 04:46:14 PM »
any way to show and export a specific date range?

export it all and then use excel to get the dates you need

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2016, 05:17:59 PM »
export it all and then use excel to get the dates you need

Thanks that's what I did. Was hoping to just tag everything within mint first

Offline an613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »
Would folks here be interested in an app that is "Mint within Excel"? I built an app for my personal use that runs on my computer and logs into all my accounts and then dumps the raw data (transactions + balances) straight into Excel so that I can use it there as I wish. It also emails me every morning with a list of all new transactions since the last refresh so I can quickly make sure there is no fraud/suspicious activity while its still fresh in my mind. once you have the raw data, you're only limited by your imagination in terms of what you track. I have a nice dashboard setup so that I can track overall net worth across all accounts, spend on each card (great for tracking minimum spends), balance on cards before statement closes, etc. 

I've given it to a few friends but curious if people here would be interested enough in it to pay for it. Right now only works for macs but if people are actually willing to pay for it I would consider making it compatible for Windows.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2016, 09:27:42 PM »
Would folks here be interested in an app that is "Mint within Excel"? I built an app for my personal use that runs on my computer and logs into all my accounts and then dumps the raw data (transactions + balances) straight into Excel so that I can use it there as I wish. It also emails me every morning with a list of all new transactions since the last refresh so I can quickly make sure there is no fraud/suspicious activity while its still fresh in my mind. once you have the raw data, you're only limited by your imagination in terms of what you track. I have a nice dashboard setup so that I can track overall net worth across all accounts, spend on each card (great for tracking minimum spends), balance on cards before statement closes, etc. 

I've given it to a few friends but curious if people here would be interested enough in it to pay for it. Right now only works for macs but if people are actually willing to pay for it I would consider making it compatible for Windows.
Sounds great but
 a. Does it excel download the transactions or piggybacks on mint and
 b. Please make it windows compatible because i would love to try it
#TYH

Offline an613

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2016, 09:34:12 PM »
Sounds great but
 a. Does it excel download the transactions or piggybacks on mint and
 b. Please make it windows compatible because i would love to try it

does not piggyback off mint, goes straight to the bank and saves to Excel. The downside is that doesn't support nearly as many banks as Mint because i have to do each one individually (which is also why I would probably never make it available publicly for free) but  the plus side is that you don't need to give your usernames and passwords to Mint (the primary reason I refuse to use Mint). Everything is stored encrypted locally on your computer.

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2016, 09:36:09 PM »
does not piggyback off mint, goes straight to the bank and saves to Excel. The downside is that doesn't support nearly as many banks as Mint because i have to do each one individually (which is also why I would probably never make it available publicly for free) but  the plus side is that you don't need to give your usernames and passwords to Mint (the primary reason I refuse to use Mint). Everything is stored encrypted locally on your computer.
Sounds awesome. but to charge and compete with a free app is hard...
#TYH

Offline an613

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2016, 09:50:09 PM »

True, it competes at some level with Mint but its not meant for the mass market. To me, the two key features that it has that Mint doesn't are 1) security and 2) the raw data in excel. Until the banks come out explicitly and say that I'm not liable when Mint is hacked or provide a read only password, I will never sign up for Mint.

If you're playing the game, its very hard to be on top of your finances without some tools and I'd personally be happy to pay a small amount for a tool that could save me missing minimum spend on even one card or a recurring bill on some old CC I forgot about. I know that most people won't care enough about the security issues to stop using Mint but I suspect there are still enough people to make it worth my while.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2016, 10:40:44 PM »
+1, and +1 on the Windows compatibility thing (though you may need to make two separate apps)

If it was free I would totally try it, and probably integrate it with my own Access database.

It would need to be able to do all banks and CCs, though, to get me to switch from Mint. I don't love that giving all my passwords to MInt, but I do it anyways because I feel that the benefits outweigh the risks (if you think I'm wrong, separate discussion :) ).

One potential issue is that I'm assuming it only runs when your computer is on, so you can't get email alerts to fraud over Y"T/etc.

I wonder if you could make it open source - then anyone who wanted could add new banks and stuff. You might not be able to charge for it, though.

Offline an613

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2016, 10:54:01 PM »

+1, and +1 on the Windows compatibility thing (though you may need to make two separate apps)

If it was free I would totally try it, and probably integrate it with my own Access database.

It would need to be able to do all banks and CCs, though, to get me to switch from Mint. I don't love that giving all my passwords to MInt, but I do it anyways because I feel that the benefits outweigh the risks (if you think I'm wrong, separate discussion :) ).

One potential issue is that I'm assuming it only runs when your computer is on, so you can't get email alerts to fraud over Y"T/etc.

I wonder if you could make it open source - then anyone who wanted could add new banks and stuff. You might not be able to charge for it, though.

Yes would need to be two separate apps but I've designed it so that the bulk of the app (connecting to banks and saving to excel) can work on both. Still need to port over the UI part though.

Probably won't be free. Can't justify spending my time to maintain/support for nothing

Out of curiosity, which banks/CCs do you use that you would need supported

Yes, you would need computer on. But if it's Y"T then you won't see your email alerts anyways

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2016, 11:00:28 PM »

Depends which bank runs a sign up bonus.  Never imagined i would use keybank in mint...
#TYH

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2016, 11:03:17 PM »
Yes would need to be two separate apps but I've designed it so that the bulk of the app (connecting to banks and saving to excel) can work on both. Still need to port over the UI part though.

Probably won't be free. Can't justify spending my time to maintain/support for nothing

Yes, you would need computer on. But if it's Y"T then you won't see your email alerts anyways
I definitely hear the $ aspect. I wonder if there's any other way to monetize it - maybe a free app, and then a paid app with more features?

CCs I use: amex, chase, barclay, discover, fidelity, BBVA, some store CCs too. It would also need to be able to store more than one login per website (eg: for a spouse) and easily indicate which is which.

Banks: right now Chase and M&T, but I'd like to know that one day when I open an account somewhere else, that I could have it connect too.

That's true about the email alerts. I'm also thinking of vacations, chol hamoed, any time you are away but getting emails on your phone.

Out of curiosity, what programming language are you working in?

Offline an613

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2016, 06:03:00 AM »

Depends which bank runs a sign up bonus.  Never imagined i would use keybank in mint...

Haha :)

I definitely hear the $ aspect. I wonder if there's any other way to monetize it - maybe a free app, and then a paid app with more features?

CCs I use: amex, chase, barclay, discover, fidelity, BBVA, some store CCs too. It would also need to be able to store more than one login per website (eg: for a spouse) and easily indicate which is which.

Banks: right now Chase and M&T, but I'd like to know that one day when I open an account somewhere else, that I could have it connect too.

That's true about the email alerts. I'm also thinking of vacations, chol hamoed, any time you are away but getting emails on your phone.

Out of curiosity, what programming language are you working in?

I've thought about that and might go with a "2 accounts for free, 3+ only for paid".

This project (the Mac version) is a mix of Python and Objective C

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2016, 10:14:26 AM »
This project (the Mac version) is a mix of Python and Objective C
Cool

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2016, 01:05:42 AM »
Maybe consider monetizing the same way mint does, though your target audience is much tougher to refer, they usually know what they want and which link they'd wanna use.

Offline mord1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2016, 06:01:38 PM »
I have a bank account that has been open for over a year and I linked it a few days ago to mint, and it only brought in transactions form 3 months ago, anyway to have mint retrieve all the account transactions?