Author Topic: Misc Credit Card Questions  (Read 1892295 times)

Online Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
Re: Misc Credit Card Questions
« Reply #8500 on: April 30, 2019, 11:14:37 PM »
I see no mention in that link of a no annual fee Bonvoy card being released.
Right at the end

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8501 on: April 30, 2019, 11:32:41 PM »
DP = Data point

All of chase cards can only go up or down in its own category. Meaning freedom can only be upgraded to a UR (ultimate rewards) earning card. While Marriott will only stay in the Marriott category cards.

I guess you have nothing to add regarding which card to go for next? I was thinking maybe Cap 1 Venture or Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard? Between my wife and I, I can complete the Chase Quadfecta easily. I don't really want all my eggs in one basket (Chase) either!

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #8502 on: April 30, 2019, 11:37:27 PM »
Right at the end

Thank you! Hard to spot that one line, seemed part of above part... I would keep the card if I can counter the AF. I can't rely on using the anniversary night every year and don't need both Marriott and SPG, they're exact same cards. But maybe I can sell the aniv night??? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, you're the only one awake tonight :-)

Online Joel

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #8503 on: April 30, 2019, 11:41:58 PM »
I guess you have nothing to add regarding which card to go for next? I was thinking maybe Cap 1 Venture or Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard? Between my wife and I, I can complete the Chase Quadfecta easily. I don't really want all my eggs in one basket (Chase) either!
Start with chase because of 5/24 (5 cards in the past 24 monts max rule )  then barclays arrival + has a 6/24 rule. Afterward the capital one venture. Maybe citi afterwards. It all depends what redemption you have in mind. If you want a variety IMO (in my opinion) the above order is great + an amex gold in the mix instead of capital one.

Online Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #8504 on: April 30, 2019, 11:44:43 PM »
Thank you! Hard to spot that one line, seemed part of above part... I would keep the card if I can counter the AF. I can't rely on using the anniversary night every year and don't need both Marriott and SPG, they're exact same cards. But maybe I can sell the aniv night??? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, you're the only one awake tonight :-)
Np,
I'm only available at night.
Dont we all work by day earning the best points.. CASH

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #8505 on: April 30, 2019, 11:52:14 PM »
Np,
I'm only available at night.
Dont we all work by day earning the best points.. CASH

;D

Offline Mo2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: April 30, 2019, 11:56:50 PM »
My question is, what's the best non Chase or Amex cards? Want to diversify a little. Looking for both personal and biz cards.
Common sense is not a gift, it is a punishment.
Because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: April 30, 2019, 11:59:20 PM »
Start with chase because of 5/24 (5 cards in the past 24 monts max rule )  then barclays arrival + has a 6/24 rule. Afterward the capital one venture. Maybe citi afterwards. It all depends what redemption you have in mind. If you want a variety IMO (in my opinion) the above order is great + an amex gold in the mix instead of capital one.

I'm really at 3/24 (as of 4/10) since the Ink doesn't count. I want my points to be flexible for airlines or hotels but primarily for airlines. From my home airport; Citi A/A would possibly make sense but I think I read that award availability is very tough to find so what's it worth then?!

Isn't the Venture more versatile than the Barclays card? I never had a Barclays so don't know how their rewards are redeemed but seems the Venture can be more broadly used/transferred? Never had more than SPG card with Amex either so don't know how MR's (Gold...) work. Will look into it. Thanks tons!

Online Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: May 01, 2019, 12:23:06 AM »

I'm really at 3/24 (as of 4/10) since the Ink doesn't count. I want my points to be flexible for airlines or hotels but primarily for airlines. From my home airport; Citi A/A would possibly make sense but I think I read that award availability is very tough to find so what's it worth then?!

Isn't the Venture more versatile than the Barclays card? I never had a Barclays so don't know how their rewards are redeemed but seems the Venture can be more broadly used/transferred? Never had more than SPG card with Amex either so don't know how MR's (Gold...) work. Will look into it. Thanks tons!

Barclays works by using your card to book travel then getting reimbursed 1 cent per point. Current offer is 70k that's $700 back in travel.

Definitely look into amex good transfer partners and easy to earn category's.

Online Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #8509 on: May 01, 2019, 12:26:21 AM »
My question is, what's the best non Chase or Amex cards? Want to diversify a little. Looking for both personal and biz cards.
Citi?

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: May 01, 2019, 12:48:53 AM »

Barclays works by using your card to book travel then getting reimbursed 1 cent per point. Current offer is 70k that's $700 back in travel.

Definitely look into amex good transfer partners and easy to earn category's.

Yes, I now recall having once read about Barclays. Essentially it is actually the most versatile card since you can fly any airline, stay any hotel and just get reimbursed. I'm not sure why the sites all tout the Venture as more versatile.

Will look into the AMEX cards. Thanks alot again!!

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: May 01, 2019, 07:44:59 AM »
Is there a chase Marriott card with no AF I can downgrade to?

Same question for the united card.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #8512 on: May 01, 2019, 09:29:41 AM »
UA has a free card.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline Le-Oh

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8513 on: May 01, 2019, 10:16:25 AM »
Amex closed my account after a FR, which airline would be the best to transfer my points to (that's the only way I would be able to sell it)?

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #8514 on: May 01, 2019, 02:20:35 PM »
Amex closed my account after a FR, which airline would be the best to transfer my points to (that's the only way I would be able to sell it)?
https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/reader-question-amex-points-want-close-business-platinum-card/
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: May 02, 2019, 12:22:23 AM »
From looking online a bit, it seems like AMEX MR's are worth on average at least 1.5 cents PP. The Amex gold offers 4X on supermarkets (one of my big points earners). That should translate to approx 8-10% back in rewards. Wouldn't you get the Amex gold before the Barclays (which is basically 2.11% back universally)? Pls correct me if I am wrong- I never had any Amex cards other than SPG (not MR...). Thanks!

Online Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #8516 on: May 02, 2019, 12:28:50 AM »
From looking online a bit, it seems like AMEX MR's are worth on average at least 1.5 cents PP. The Amex gold offers 4X on supermarkets (one of my big points earners). That should translate to approx 8-10% back in rewards. Wouldn't you get the Amex gold before the Barclays (which is basically 2.11% back universally)? Pls correct me if I am wrong- I never had any Amex cards other than SPG (not MR...). Thanks!
MR is great if you will use  the transfer partners.
Its definitely better but barclays is simple.
Currently the barclays has a higher sign up bonus however the amex is a great everyday card.
Definitely go for MR

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: May 02, 2019, 12:35:16 AM »
MR is great if you will use  the transfer partners.
Its definitely better but barclays is simple.
Currently the barclays has a higher sign up bonus however the amex is a great everyday card.
Definitely go for MR

I didn't get to look thru the transfer partners awfully well but it seemed relatively extensive, maybe some better than others.... extensive nonetheless.
I know the Barclays has a great sign up bonus now. I just like to get a card I'll be happy with in a hear from now also, when the AF kicks in 🙄. I THINK the gold may be more attractive for me. I'll take another look. I don't do any MS, I can't even pay tuition (3% fee kills any points gain) or rent via CC so 4X supermarkets is important to me. Currently use GC's via Ink.... Pain in the neck but so valuable!

Online Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: May 02, 2019, 12:47:08 AM »
I didn't get to look thru the transfer partners awfully well but it seemed relatively extensive, maybe some better than others.... extensive nonetheless.
I know the Barclays has a great sign up bonus now. I just like to get a card I'll be happy with in a hear from now also, when the AF kicks in . I THINK the gold may be more attractive for me. I'll take another look. I don't do any MS, I can't even pay tuition (3% fee kills any points gain) or rent via CC so 4X supermarkets is important to me. Currently use GC's via Ink.... Pain in the neck but so valuable!
Remember that with the gold its 4x up to 25k at groceries per year.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: May 02, 2019, 12:58:30 AM »
Remember that with the gold its 4x up to 25k at groceries per year.
Oh, I don't spend 25k a year on groceries b'h! If I did, I'd have a much bigger problem. I do realize the Barclays is an easier card, not very different than a 2% cash back card, pouring the bonus aside. I just don't see why I'd keep it after 12 months when I can do same with a Chase "Trifecta/Quadfecta". But I can slways downgrade. Anyway - I really appreciate your help. Ty!