Author Topic: Do you brew your own beer?  (Read 9167 times)

Offline WiddleAvi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Do you make your own beer?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 05:13:51 PM »
I make only extract recipes which are more expensive. Each batch of beer makes 2 cases. Depending on if I buy each ingredient separately or if I buy a recipe kit which comes with everything my cost ranges from about $35 to maybe $50 (just guesstimating). The kits are cheaper. If you go all Grain it is cheaper.

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »
Sounds interesting and awesome. Can someone give a ballpark figure how much it costs per bottle? (meaning, is it a lot cheaper than buying beer?) Also what about simple folks like me who enjoy Corona Extra, Tuborg, Bud Ice, MGD?
Costs can range to $1.25 per bottle for extract recipes to 10-20 cents per bottle for all-grain recipes when you buy your hops and grains in bulk.
If you tend to buy expensive craft beers, it certainly makes economic sense to brew your own but if you only buy Bud and MGD, it may not necessarily be cheaper but the beer you brew will be of a much higher quality than the aforementioned swill beers.  :P

Related topic mentioned here, I just learned with my chavrusa last night about the need for sanitizing. Is that the pshat in the Shulchan Aruch by hlchos netilas yadayim, O"Ch 4.5?  See Biur Halacha. TIA!
From looking over the Biur Halacha quickly, I don't think it's talking about unfermented beer which is at the highest risk for infection but it's certainly an interesting find.

One more q. now that vodka is so expensive here in EY, is it easy and safe to make your own alcohol?
Distilling is a whole different animal than brewing. I don't really know anything about that.

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 08:27:26 AM »
I make only extract recipes which are more expensive. Each batch of beer makes 2 cases. Depending on if I buy each ingredient separately or if I buy a recipe kit which comes with everything my cost ranges from about $35 to maybe $50 (just guesstimating). The kits are cheaper. If you go all Grain it is cheaper.
Do you have a good LHBS in Pittsburgh or you order everything online?

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 11:49:43 PM »

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 06:54:46 PM »
If so, I'd love to get some advice.
We're planning on buying a beer making set from a store here in Israel, and would to get some tips and pointers.
Whatever ended up happening with this?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 07:23:40 PM »
My fambly figures a per bottle cost of like 83 cpb (cents per bottle). We do whole grain.

The bill for the mash bill + hops and yeast usually ends up being about 30 dollars, and then we spend like 8 dollars on ice, and there are costs like the cleanser that needs to be replaced every now and then and other small incidentals. You end up with like 48 bottles, so figure 40 dollars for 48 bottles.

Offline schaq

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 08:16:43 PM »
you guys should join Frum Craft Beer Drinkers and Homebrewers on facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/104921039591575/

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
jaywhy makes some Really. Awesome. Beer.
Should really open up a microbrewery or something!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 09:01:37 PM »
Ahhh. That's who he knows in Cleveland. :P
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 03:28:02 AM »
My fambly figures a per bottle cost of like 83 cpb (cents per bottle). We do whole grain.

The bill for the mash bill + hops and yeast usually ends up being about 30 dollars, and then we spend like 8 dollars on ice, and there are costs like the cleanser that needs to be replaced every now and then and other small incidentals. You end up with like 48 bottles, so figure 40 dollars for 48 bottles.
Sounds like you need a wort chiller!
Would pay for itself very quickly replacing $8 ice. It also works much faster.

That is about my per bottle cost right now too. I figure I can get it down to 20-30 cents if I buy everything in bulk and store it.

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2013, 03:28:31 AM »
you guys should join Frum Craft Beer Drinkers and Homebrewers on facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/104921039591575/
Been a member for a while.

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 03:34:53 AM »
Thanks!  :D

I've considered it for a while and spoken to people in the business. The amount of time, money, and energy that you need to put into it to make it successful is just not for me. I'd rather keep my love of brewing by doing it as a hobby and not ruin it by going pro.

I would consider selling custom made brews for special events and such.

Offline Ebys33

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 07:35:49 AM »
Nice to see there's an interest in making beer and not just buying your average tuborg or gold star !! Mivaseret shop is a great place . The guy that owns the place his name is Denny and he knows everything there is to know about making not only beer , but all there is to know about making any sort of alcoholic beverage . Weather it's homemade vodka , bourbon , or even a single malt scotch . I was just there yesterday for supplies and bought ingredients for  a porter recipe  which is a baby stout and an apple cider yeast to make homemade apple cider . I personally know which beers I like store bought. However so far any homemade beer that I've so far made , it hasn't let me down !!!!! Stay away from skunks and brew your own !

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
It sounds interesting, I like making things, crafts etc. just made esrog shnaaps which came out great, but with beer I am fine with drinking regular stuff, like Corona, Tuborg etc. and I do not drink beer that often, Is there still a reason for me to brew my own? TIA for the advice.
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »
Thanks!  :D

I've considered it for a while and spoken to people in the business. The amount of time, money, and energy that you need to put into it to make it successful is just not for me. I'd rather keep my love of brewing by doing it as a hobby and not ruin it by going pro.

I would consider selling custom made brews for special events and such.
Should look into making beer for a place like House of Dog.  Would be wildly popular IMHO.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.