Author Topic: Do you brew your own beer?  (Read 15738 times)

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Do you make your own beer?
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2013, 03:28:31 AM »
you guys should join Frum Craft Beer Drinkers and Homebrewers on facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/104921039591575/
Been a member for a while.

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 03:34:53 AM »
jaywhy makes some Really. Awesome. Beer.
Should really open up a microbrewery or something!
Thanks!  :D

I've considered it for a while and spoken to people in the business. The amount of time, money, and energy that you need to put into it to make it successful is just not for me. I'd rather keep my love of brewing by doing it as a hobby and not ruin it by going pro.

I would consider selling custom made brews for special events and such.

Offline Ebys33

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 07:35:49 AM »
Nice to see there's an interest in making beer and not just buying your average tuborg or gold star !! Mivaseret shop is a great place . The guy that owns the place his name is Denny and he knows everything there is to know about making not only beer , but all there is to know about making any sort of alcoholic beverage . Weather it's homemade vodka , bourbon , or even a single malt scotch . I was just there yesterday for supplies and bought ingredients for  a porter recipe  which is a baby stout and an apple cider yeast to make homemade apple cider . I personally know which beers I like store bought. However so far any homemade beer that I've so far made , it hasn't let me down !!!!! Stay away from skunks and brew your own !

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
It sounds interesting, I like making things, crafts etc. just made esrog shnaaps which came out great, but with beer I am fine with drinking regular stuff, like Corona, Tuborg etc. and I do not drink beer that often, Is there still a reason for me to brew my own? TIA for the advice.
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »
Thanks!  :D

I've considered it for a while and spoken to people in the business. The amount of time, money, and energy that you need to put into it to make it successful is just not for me. I'd rather keep my love of brewing by doing it as a hobby and not ruin it by going pro.

Should look into making beer for a place like House of Dog.  Would be wildly popular IMHO.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 02:51:25 PM »

That's a cute angle. Like a batch for a bar mitzva or a wedding or something.

How much do you think you'd charge for that?

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 02:59:14 AM »
Should look into making beer for a place like House of Dog.  Would be wildly popular IMHO.
That is an easier road than opening a brewery, but still need to get the serving facility and producing facility licensed, approved, bonded, inspected...

I love when people enjoy my beer but selling it professionally/legally is just too much of a hassle unless you are fully involved.

Offline Ebys33

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2013, 08:36:28 AM »
As a beer drinker, Brewing your own for the sake of having unlimited beer when ever you want on demand is a good enough reason for me to make it. It taste much better (extremely cheap) and it's a great hobby as well. But I kinda like the "brew mitzvah" batch idea !

Offline AharonInIsrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »
Nice to see there's an interest in making beer and not just buying your average tuborg or gold star !! Mivaseret shop is a great place . The guy that owns the place his name is Denny and he knows everything there is to know about making not only beer , but all there is to know about making any sort of alcoholic beverage . Weather it's homemade vodka , bourbon , or even a single malt scotch . I was just there yesterday for supplies and bought ingredients for  a porter recipe  which is a baby stout and an apple cider yeast to make homemade apple cider . I personally know which beers I like store bought. However so far any homemade beer that I've so far made , it hasn't let me down !!!!! Stay away from skunks and brew your own !
Seems like a cool place! Do they have equipment for making things besides beer and wine? It was unclear from the website.

Offline satturn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Kotel Security Pass
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »
There is someone selling a Cooper set here in Israel, if any of you are interested

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2013, 09:25:10 PM »
That's a cute angle. Like a batch for a bar mitzva or a wedding or something.

How much do you think you'd charge for that?
Something like that.

I don't know how to price it. The raw materials are fairly cheap but it's my time outlay that will really jack up the price.  ;)
At least until I get the Picobrew Zymatic.
If it works as advertised, I'll be able to cut my time outlay by 80-90%.

Offline Ebys33

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2013, 08:36:54 AM »
In January they will be selling imported distilleries. Due to the taxes that were just slapped on to alcohol this past July people are starting to make their own . The distilleries will range from 3,000-5,000 shekel depending on the size and type .

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 10:02:41 AM »
Something like that.

I don't know how to price it. The raw materials are fairly cheap but it's my time outlay that will really jack up the price.  ;)
At least until I get the Picobrew Zymatic.
If it works as advertised, I'll be able to cut my time outlay by 80-90%.

Also, you'll need to get more bottles.

Inasmuch as it is a hobby of yours anyway, would you sell 42 bottles (you keep a 6 pack from each batch) for 200? It comes out to 5 dollars per bottle for the buyer, but it's good shtick to have a beer brewed for your simcha and simcha's cost a lot of money.

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »
Also, you'll need to get more bottles.

Inasmuch as it is a hobby of yours anyway, would you sell 42 bottles (you keep a 6 pack from each batch) for 200? It comes out to 5 dollars per bottle for the buyer, but it's good shtick to have a beer brewed for your simcha and simcha's cost a lot of money.
That sounds about what I was thinking too. Plus shipping costs.

Offline nacho2100

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2014, 05:55:49 PM »
Congrats JayWhy on the picobrew. I would love to hear how you like it when you get it.

I was tossing around the idea of a quinoa pesach beer. I work at a distillery that uses sugar beets to make their vodka and I was also bouncing the idea of a pesach "single malt" around. Obvs would help to age in casks, but in Israel they aren't hard to find kosher.

edit:spelling

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »
Congrats JayWhy on the picobrew. I would love to hear how you like it when you get it.

I was tossing around the idea of a quinoa pesach beer. I work at a distillery that uses sugar beets to make their vodka and I was also bouncing the idea of a pesach "single malt" around. Obvs would help to age in casks, but in Israel they aren't hard to find kosher.

edit:spelling
Thanks. I should be taking delivery of it in mid May. Very excited for it.

Next year, I plan on experimenting with various kosher lpesach styles.

How would you make a single malt?

Offline nacho2100

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 01:14:46 AM »
So the distillery uses sugar beet  juice and the yeast feed off that. The other trick is the yeast are bound in sodium alginate gels and they can make higher gravities. Then they fractionally distill the liquor and take a bunch of the different cuts and blend them. After that its really easy to buy a barrel and just age the stuff.

For the quinoa beer I have been reading conflicting reports on the interwebs about the levels of Alpha amylase and whether it needs to be malted or not. For this reason I have wondering about using sweet potato or sugar beets as adjuncts. The other issue is the price of quinoa. The kosher for pesach packages are so expensive and don't come in large enough quantities.

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 01:36:08 AM »
So the distillery uses sugar beet  juice and the yeast feed off that. The other trick is the yeast are bound in sodium alginate gels and they can make higher gravities. Then they fractionally distill the liquor and take a bunch of the different cuts and blend them. After that its really easy to buy a barrel and just age the stuff.

For the quinoa beer I have been reading conflicting reports on the interwebs about the levels of Alpha amylase and whether it needs to be malted or not. For this reason I have wondering about using sweet potato or sugar beets as adjuncts. The other issue is the price of quinoa. The kosher for pesach packages are so expensive and don't come in large enough quantities.
Cool. How does the sodium alginate help the gravity? Does it keep the yeast from flocculating longer?

I don't know anything about the convertibility of quinoa, but I'd think you need a large percentage of adjuncts to get it to convert properly.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2014, 06:40:53 AM »
I don't believe in quinoa beer; it won't taste like beer.  Make a beverage that is kosher lpesach to begin with.  Like mead.  Or wine.  Or date beer.

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 08:04:56 AM »
I don't believe in quinoa beer; it won't taste like beer.  Make a beverage that is kosher lpesach to begin with.  Like mead.  Or wine.  Or date beer.
only one way to find out.  ;D