Author Topic: Issues Cancelling BA Avios Tickets Online  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Issues Cancelling BA Avios Tickets Online
« on: October 27, 2013, 03:33:43 PM »
Has anyone else having issues cancelling BA Avios award tickets (booked on AA) online? I keep getting:

"Unfortunately our systems are not responding, so we are unable to process your request at the moment."

I've tried on multiple computers, browsers, countries and on different days. I have 4 bookings all giving me the same issue. They all have an infant on them. Called BA online support- no help.

Any ideas. I can't afford to pay $40/person over the phone.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Issues Cancelling BA Avios Tickets Online
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 03:37:16 PM »
They all have an infant on them.
Why would you do that?? Did you try having them delete the infant?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 03:41:40 PM »
Good idea. I will try that and report back. I'm always afraid of getting to the airport without adding the infant...is it always OK to do that?

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »
Good idea. I will try that and report back. I'm always afraid of getting to the airport without adding the infant...is it always OK to do that?
For domestic, yes.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 03:45:58 PM »
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/32467
If you have a lap child and are flying within the US or Canada do not mention them when booking a ticket on BA.com.  You can add them for free at the airport.

I didn't write that post for my health...

Let us know if you're SOL.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 04:36:33 PM »
Wow. I lucked out. Got an awesome rep who knew her stuff. You can't delete an infant without creating a whole new PNR which she obviously was not allowed to do. Instead, she cancelled the tickets for me. She said even over the phone there is officially a $40 charge, but they deduct it from what you paid for the ticket- so only cost me $2.50/per passenger- same as online.

I was also having an issue with booking seats with the infant. Turns out the issue there is that Mom needs to be seated in a seat with a double oxygen mask or else you get strange error messages- lesson learned...add infant at airport...always listen to Dan

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »
Turns out the issue there is that Mom needs to be seated in a seat with a double oxygen mask or else you get strange error messages
All that means is that child has to be on a row with a least two seats next to each other.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/32467
If you have a lap child and are flying within the US or Canada do not mention them when booking a ticket on BA.com.  You can add them for free at the airport.

I didn't write that post for my health...

Let us know if you're SOL.
In the knowledgebase you say "There may be some small fees for Canada travel but you’ll be better off dealing with it at the airport than booking it on BA.com."
What issues have people run into when booking the tickets?
Additionally,do they still charge you the miles for the infant at the airport, or just the taxes?
TIA
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline milechazzer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 04:07:17 PM »
Wow. I lucked out. Got an awesome rep who knew her stuff. You can't delete an infant without creating a whole new PNR which she obviously was not allowed to do. Instead, she cancelled the tickets for me. She said even over the phone there is officially a $40 charge, but they deduct it from what you paid for the ticket- so only cost me $2.50/per passenger- same as online.

I was also having an issue with booking seats with the infant. Turns out the issue there is that Mom needs to be seated in a seat with a double oxygen mask or else you get strange error messages- lesson learned...add infant at airport...always listen to Dan

Has anyone had any further experience with this issue? I have the same issue now. Need to cancel some reservations that include an infant. The taxes and fees are only $5 round trip. Do I need to be concerned about being assessed a $40/person cancellation fee, or can I assume my cancellation cost is capped at the minimal taxes/fees that I paid?

thank you

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »
I spoke to Avios and they confirmed that when taxes/fees on a ticket was only $2.50, Avios will never assess the remaining $37.50 from the cancellation penalty.

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 10:53:18 PM »
Is there a point in waiting until the airport to add a infant on a domestic flight?
What do I lose by now calling AA on the phone and having them add the infant? Perhaps they can even help me with seats.

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »
Is there a point in waiting until the airport to add a infant on a domestic flight?
What do I lose by now calling AA on the phone and having them add the infant? Perhaps they can even help me with seats.

I think the answer is it depends how much the taxes/fees are on your tickets, in the event that you might decide to cancel.

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »
What kind of seat you looking for on a domestic flight?