Poll

A Poll to decide if a poll should be taken.

Yes, we should take a poll to see people's opinion on TC.
8 (16.3%)
No, we should not take a poll to see people's opinion on TC.
7 (14.3%)
I never vote in polls.
5 (10.2%)
Maybe we should first take a poll to determine if this poll should be taken.
29 (59.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Tent City Lakewood  (Read 67361 times)

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Lakewood NJ Master Thread
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »
@mods  is it possible to start a tent city thread (in js) ?

Norreason this troll has to clogg up the lkwd thread. 

Please merge the last few posts into the new threa. 

Thanx 

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 07:03:14 PM »
?
They live on Township land for free. Everyone else in town pays thousands of dollars in property taxes to use the houses that they own in the town.

Offline metziah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »

They live on Township land for free. Everyone else in town pays thousands of dollars in property taxes to use the houses that they own in the town.
Yeah but it's  our responsibility to help these unfortunate people. After all according to Mr Alex we are ultimately doing ourselves good. We are the ones that are benefiting from this encampment.

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 07:25:09 PM »
I heard they are going to name it 'Tent City Plaza'.
Wow...my bad.  It WAS a joke.

Offline Alex Libman

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tent City Movement
Re: Tent City Lakewood
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 07:36:12 PM »
It seems the OP is a resident of Tent-City.

Yup, I'm a resident of Tent City - since March 1st, 2013.

Every night, hot or cold, I sleep in a tent.

they have internet in tent city?

We use Verizon 4G with a shared 20GB/month data plan.  I have a donated laptop, and a rig of car batteries for extra run-time after our electrical generator is turned off.

It's very expensive for us, but we need to be able to get the word out about what the Lakewood government is doing to us...

Why should you live tax free?

Because I am not a slave.

Read Ayn Rand.  (Etc.)

We break our backs paying 15k real estate taxes so that the township can clean up your filth, bus your kids and police you every time you guys have a fight over a crackpipe.  Get on organized welfare like normal humans stop living in our woods off our money.

Are you trying to be satirical?  You can't seem to tell up from down...  Tent City is an alternative to the Welfare State!  I am fighting for the taxpayers!

I'm not sure what a "crackpipe" looks like (never even tried pot yet), but the war on drugs, like the prohibition on alcohol in the 1920s, is doing far more harm than good...

In order to have a logical argument about crime rates, you need a statistical comparison of per-capita occurrences of crime between our Tent City and another impoverished neighborhood.

In my observation, relatively little violent crime happens in Tent City.  I'm a fat wimp, and no physical harm has come to me yet.  I've been living in the middle of Tent City for 8 months now, with some electronic equipment, and I am yet to have anything stolen from me.  I'm not saying everyone here is a saint, just putting things in context...

And I'm talking about actual crime, not frivolous instances of police coming here to harass us.  That's like punching us in the face and then sending us a bill for it!

Norreason this troll has to clogg up the lkwd thread.

I am not a "troll".  I am a human being.  Unlike you, I am using my real name online.  My integrity is on the record.  You are welcome to come to Tent City, find our little "office" trailer in front of the chapel, and meet me.

And isn't Tent City a part of Lakewood?  It certainly is Lakewood police that are harassing and bulldozing us...

But I am all for forking off a separate Tent City thread, and I thank this forum for hosting it.

Thus is the hypocrisy of "public land".

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 07:38:31 PM »
You are welcome to come to Tent City, find our little "office" trailer in front of the chapel, and meet me.
TC DO :D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »
Yup, I'm a resident of Tent City - since March 1st, 2013.

Every night, hot or cold, I sleep in a tent.

We use Verizon 4G with a shared 20GB/month data plan.  I have a donated laptop, and a rig of car batteries for extra run-time after our electrical generator is turned off.

It's very expensive for us, but we need to be able to get the word out about what the Lakewood government is doing to us...

Because I am not a slave.

Read Ayn Rand.  (Etc.)

Are you trying to be satirical?  You can't seem to tell up from down...  Tent City is an alternative to the Welfare State!  I am fighting for the taxpayers!

I'm not sure what a "crackpipe" looks like (never even tried pot yet), but the war on drugs, like the prohibition on alcohol in the 1920s, is doing far more harm than good...

In order to have a logical argument about crime rates, you need a statistical comparison of per-capita occurrences of crime between our Tent City and another impoverished neighborhood.

In my observation, relatively little violent crime happens in Tent City.  I'm a fat wimp, and no physical harm has come to me yet.  I've been living in the middle of Tent City for 8 months now, with some electronic equipment, and I am yet to have anything stolen from me.  I'm not saying everyone here is a saint, just putting things in context...

And I'm talking about actual crime, not frivolous instances of police coming here to harass us.  That's like punching us in the face and then sending us a bill for it!

I am not a "troll".  I am a human being.  Unlike you, I am using my real name online.  My integrity is on the record.  You are welcome to come to Tent City, find our little "office" trailer in front of the chapel, and meet me.

And isn't Tent City a part of Lakewood?  It certainly is Lakewood police that are harassing and bulldozing us...

But I am all for forking off a separate Tent City thread, and I thank this forum for hosting it.

Thus is the hypocrisy of "public land".
why don't you get a real job and a warm home?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 07:43:01 PM »
Before you guys continue arguing with Alex - you can google him

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 07:45:16 PM »
why don't you get a real job and a warm home?
eta...
"Read Ayn rand." -You are not a productive member of society.  We are your slaves, just live in our yard free of charge. (Not to mention that you and Brigham are using some miserable drug addicts to further your mental Utopian agenda which is in itself a disgrace)
Pathetic. Get a real job, you'll be much happier.

Offline HP58

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 07:46:13 PM »
@Alex just curious, did you ever have a job? What was it?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
his occupation is "homeless libertarian"

Offline Alex Libman

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tent City Movement
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 07:49:53 PM »
Yeah but it's our responsibility to help these unfortunate people.

No, it isn't.  All charity / tzedakah should be voluntary - and there are enough people willing to help the poor voluntarily.  Your only default responsibility is to not initiate aggression against others, but that is precisely what the Township government is doing...

After all according to Mr Alex we are ultimately doing ourselves good. We are the ones that are benefiting from this encampment.

Tent City is good for everybody.  It's bad that homelessness exists, but Tent City makes it better by tackling it through voluntary charity and mutual aid, rather than the inefficiency of the Welfare State.

Can't we all be good neighbors and get along?

Before you guys continue arguing with Alex - you can google him

Please do.  There has been a lot of slander against me in my long career of discussing my political views on the Internet, but I have nothing to be ashamed of, and in fact a lot to be proud of.

Yes, I'm a libertarian.  My ideas may be strange to you.  I want you to be free, not use force except in self-defense, and not be forced to pay for putting homeless people in apartments for $1500/month.  Tent City has a much better solution.

Offline HP58

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »
And I go unanswered? :(

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »
Don't know if I should laugh or cry...
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »
If lakewooders prefer to pay for normal shelter/apartments for you guys,  why did you decline?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »
If lakewooders prefer to pay for normal shelter/apartments for you guys,  why did you decline?
the poor people are being controlled by Alex and Brigham who have their own twisted agendas of power or fame. They would have long ago been in warm shelters if not for these hacktevists.

Offline Alex Libman

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tent City Movement
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 08:09:25 PM »
I may not be able to keep up with this thread tonight - I will catch up with it when I can.

You are not a productive member of society.

Yes I am.  I produce ideas.  I also pull my economic weight, and voluntarily help others - also with added further benefits in mind.

We are your slaves, just live in our yard free of charge.

I do not accept any tax-payer money, and I am fighting for your liberation.

(Not to mention that you and Brigham are using some miserable drug addicts to further your mental Utopian agenda which is in itself a disgrace)

Utopian agenda?  Minister Steve Brigham is just helping homeless people.  My ideas are very different from his, but we collaborate here in Tent City, to help the homeless, confront unconstitutional tyrannical laws and government corruption, and to build a better model of a homeless shelter, ideally funded through voluntary charity and mutual aid.

As for drug users, yes, Tent City has its share.  So does public housing.  The last time Minister Steve tried to evict one, the Township sued him, and he's being summoned to court now for 11th time tomorrow morning as they try to find something, by hook or by crook, to throw against him...

Pathetic. Get a real job, you'll be much happier.

I've had plenty of jobs.  When I was a programmer / DBA, clients paid as much as $125 an hour for my time.  I was not as happy as I am today.  But that's not what this thread is about.

Presently I work for Tent City, unpaid.  Lately I spend about 15 hours a day 7 days a week managing Tent City's online presence, writing letters, answering e-mails, etc.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 08:16:55 PM »
I may not be able to keep up with this thread tonight - I will catch up with it when I can.

Yes I am.  I produce ideas.  I also pull my economic weight, and voluntarily help others - also with added further benefits in mind.

I do not accept any tax-payer money, and I am fighting for your liberation.

Utopian agenda?  Minister Steve Brigham is just helping homeless people.  My ideas are very different from his, but we collaborate here in Tent City, to help the homeless, confront unconstitutional tyrannical laws and government corruption, and to build a better model of a homeless shelter, ideally funded through voluntary charity and mutual aid.

As for drug users, yes, Tent City has its share.  So does public housing.  The last time Minister Steve tried to evict one, the Township sued him, and he's being summoned to court now for 11th time tomorrow morning as they try to find something, by hook or by crook, to throw against him...

I've had plenty of jobs.  When I was a programmer / DBA, clients paid as much as $125 an hour for my time.  I was not as happy as I am today.  But that's not what this thread is about.

Presently I work for Tent City, unpaid.  Lately I spend about 15 hours a day 7 days a week managing Tent City's online presence, writing letters, answering e-mails, etc.
how can we be sure that you even represent ANYONE at tent city? You appointed yourself the manager of poor peoples lives based on your political agenda.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Why am I punished with being the one who 'started' this thread? 

Like a great patriot, RK, once said, 'Can't we all just get along?'

Offline Alex Libman

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tent City Movement
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2013, 08:36:21 PM »
his occupation is "homeless libertarian"

That's more of a hobby.   ;)

You are using collectivist abstractions.  "Lakewooders" don't "prefer to pay" as a single hive-mind - you are talking about 100,000 individuals!

Some people wish to help the homeless voluntarily, and they can best do that directly.  A small donation goes a long way at Tent City.  (See also: pages about dropping off local donations and making a financial donation online on our Web-site.)  Other people don't want to help us in any way, and they should not be forced.

Most Tent City residents were happy to sign up for that "one year of free housing to GTFO" deal, but there just isn't enough money to house everybody - all 20,000 or so homeless in NJ.  Nor is that efficient or fair to the taxpayers.  That's why there's a need for Tent Cities like ours.

I personally decline to accept taxpayer money (whenever it can be avoided) because it is against my principles.

the poor people are being controlled by Alex and Brigham who have their own twisted agendas of power or fame. They would have long ago been in warm shelters if not for these hacktevists.

LOL...  You couldn't possibly be more counter-factual...

Minister Steve is advocating the construction of a government shelter, as Ocean County doesn't have one.  That's where he and I part ways.  I am not keeping anybody from mooching off government, I am just against it myself.  Tent City is a more cost-effective and arguably more humane alternative that is saving taxpayer money.

how can we be sure that you even represent ANYONE at tent city? You appointed yourself the manager of poor peoples lives based on your political agenda.

I never claimed that I did.  I speak only for myself.

Like I said, I am a Tent City resident who found a mention of Tent City on this forum and stopped by to say a neighborly hello and address some misconceptions.