Poll

A Poll to decide if a poll should be taken.

Yes, we should take a poll to see people's opinion on TC.
8 (16.3%)
No, we should not take a poll to see people's opinion on TC.
7 (14.3%)
I never vote in polls.
5 (10.2%)
Maybe we should first take a poll to determine if this poll should be taken.
29 (59.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Tent City Lakewood  (Read 68232 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Tent City Lakewood
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »
Who cares, clocks ticking.

TC is over and you need to get a life!

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2014, 10:07:06 PM »

Clearly you are one who is clueless.  Two people died from alcohol.  One likely suffered a concussion from a car accident and died several days later.  One died in a fire - a first in the history of our Tent City.

Now do your homework and compare these to the death rates of homeless people living outdoors without a Tent City.  Note that it's been an unusually cold winter...
I clearly remember reading in the news over the past year of a death by fire - whuch you admit to. A murder and a freezing to death, which may be this story http://www.app.com/article/20131129/NJNEWS/311290069/Mario-Guerra-Tent-City-man-found-dead-outside-his-camper-Lakewood but i ain't paying the app a penny to read their trash.

If you wouldn't have gathered these people together and made fires they would be alive.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2014, 10:21:23 PM »
That is understandable.  If the government had cooperated with us then the effect on Tent City's nearest neighbors would have been less negative.  (And the negativeness are often greatly exaggerated.)  But you don't get to control what happens outside of your property, who your neighbors are.

If you move next to a neglected unused piece of "public land", you should now know there's a chance of a tent city getting set up there.  Tragedy of the commons...

:o :o :o

Offline Alex Libman

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tent City Movement
« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2014, 12:06:16 AM »
Who cares, clocks ticking.

TC is over and you need to get a life!

You couldn't be more wrong.  What you said is like saying in 1970 that the computer revolution is over.

Study economics.  More and more low-end jobs will be outsourced and automated in the future, not less.  More and more people will be unable to afford the artificially inflated cost of living.  The government's ability to tax, borrow, and print will decline - the Welfare State will only exacerbate the problem.

The solution: cheap living, part-time work, voluntary charity, and mutual aid.  Government doesn't let people live cheaply, but government power will soon begin to decline.  Civilization sees government as damage, and routes around it.

Tent Cities will grow nationwide.

I clearly remember reading in the news over the past year of a death by fire - whuch you admit to. A murder and a freezing to death, which may be this story http://www.app.com/article/20131129/NJNEWS/311290069/Mario-Guerra-Tent-City-man-found-dead-outside-his-camper-Lakewood but i ain't paying the app a penny to read their trash.

If you wouldn't have gathered these people together and made fires they would be alive.

In the first paragraph, you are entirely incoherent.  I've listed the four deaths that occurred in the time I was at Tent City (14 months), including the death by fire.  What exactly do you disagree with, and what evidence do you present to counter the evidence that I have presented?

You libel us with a false claim of a shooting, and not present evidence, like media coverage, which most surely would exist.  You cannot be bothered to read a newspaper, but that doesn't stop you from opening your mouth and spreading ignorance, hurting many people in the process.

You are making the most basic logical fallacies...  "Let's bulldoze all hospitals, so no one will get sick!"

These four people might not have died if we had more volunteers to help them; but we didn't, in part due to stupid libel from stupid people like you!

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 27, 2014, 12:07:46 AM »
You couldn't be more wrong.  What you said is like saying in 1970 that the computer revolution is over.

Study economics.  More and more low-end jobs will be outsourced and automated in the future, not less.  More and more people will be unable to afford the artificially inflated cost of living.  The government's ability to tax, borrow, and print will decline - the Welfare State will only exacerbate the problem.

The solution: cheap living, part-time work, voluntary charity, and mutual aid.  Government doesn't let people live cheaply, but government power will soon begin to decline.  Civilization sees government as damage, and routes around it.

Tent Cities will grow nationwide.

In the first paragraph, you are entirely incoherent.  I've listed the four deaths that occurred in the time I was at Tent City (14 months), including the death by fire.  What exactly do you disagree with, and what evidence do you present to counter the evidence that I have presented?

You libel us with a false claim of a shooting, and not present evidence, like media coverage, which most surely would exist.  You cannot be bothered to read a newspaper, but that doesn't stop you from opening your mouth and spreading ignorance, hurting many people in the process.

You are making the most basic logical fallacies...  "Let's bulldoze all hospitals, so no one will get sick!"

These four people might not have died if we had more volunteers to help them; but we didn't, in part due to stupid libel from stupid people like you!
Great job with your fire safety, and letting people freeze to death!

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 27, 2014, 12:12:05 AM »
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2012/12/tent-city-resident-dies-in-tent-authroities-investigating-featured-story.html

"THE CAUSE OF THE DEATH APPEARS TO BE HYPOTHERMIA" - Maybe you don't know this (I guess MIT doesn't teach this), but hypothermia is caused by being cold, and freezing to death means hypothermia.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothermia/basics/definition/con-20020453

Offline Alex Libman

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tent City Movement
« Reply #206 on: May 27, 2014, 12:35:52 AM »
Great job with your fire safety, and letting people freeze to death!

Do you know how many people died at Kimball Hospital?  (Including my mother.)  "We should totally bulldoze all hospitals - no one will ever die!"   :'(

Some TC residents were going without heat.  If we had more donations and support, we could have had more fire extinguishers, used more electric lights instead of candles, switched to safer heating methods, etc.

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2012/12/tent-city-resident-dies-in-tent-authroities-investigating-featured-story.html

"THE CAUSE OF THE DEATH APPEARS TO BE HYPOTHERMIA" - Maybe you don't know this (I guess MIT doesn't teach this), but hypothermia is caused by being cold, and freezing to death means hypothermia.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothermia/basics/definition/con-20020453

(1)  That news story is before my time.  I don't know the details.  Anything posted on The Lakewood Poop is particularly suspect.

(2)  You are still incoherent.  Did you want to review the relative death rates per year, as implied in post #195?  Then why do you present a news story from 2012?

(3)  I never claimed that no one at Tent City ever died from hypothermia, but that you should learn basic statistical reasoning and compare the death rates.

Do you honestly believe that giving someone sleeping in an alleyway a tent, a mattress, sleeping bags, blankets, clothes, a wood-burning stove, fire-starters, firewood, and everything else that Tent City does makes them MORE likely to die from hypothermia?!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:39:47 AM by Alex Libman »

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 27, 2014, 12:49:08 AM »
Do you honestly believe that giving someone sleeping in an alleyway a tent, a mattress, sleeping bags, blankets, clothes, a wood-burning stove, fire-starters, firewood, and everything else that Tent City does makes them MORE likely to die from hypothermia?!
No. that would be the reason for the guy that you caused to die from fire.
Why are we arguing about history - which is what you and tent city are - history.

Alex Libman for president...................................Not.

Offline Alex Libman

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tent City Movement
« Reply #208 on: May 27, 2014, 12:51:41 AM »
A couple of recent posts from our Facebook Page, which is the best place to stay up-to-date on what's happening...

InTentCity: The History and Importance of Lakewood's Homeless Camp

[The following text was CENSORED by The Lakewood Scoop...]

For many years, Rev Steve Brigham of Lakewood Outreach was visiting over a DOZEN different tent cities in and just around Lakewood Township, NJ, to bring them propane and other survival essentials. He was also helping homeless people living in the streets, sleeping in alleyways and under bridges, etc.

Then things centralized on the Cedar Bridge Ave / S Clover St location, which was a good thing - safety and efficiency in numbers. Quality of life, medical safety, and fire safety improved. Relations with the police improved (for a time, before the deliberate campaign of harassment started). The location was perfect - out of the way, but with easy access to social services as well as the Lakewood Industrial Park, where many of our residents work. It was good for everybody.

The Township gov't could have cooperated with us, removed the stigma of illegality hindering our fundraising, helped us evict bad people instead of deliberately sabotaging us, etc. This could have resulted in safe smokeless heating during the winter, more volunteers helping people clean up and rejoin the workforce, etc. Compared to placing people in motels, Tent City has been saving the taxpayers millions of dollars a year!

Instead, the Lakewood politicians wasted millions of our taxpayer money to sabotage, shrink, and eventually demolish our Tent City. We're down from 122 residents a year ago to about 35 now. Lots of people who want to be here are turned away...

So we're returning to the bad old days of having lots of small chaotic Tent Cities popping up all over the place, with no shower, no portajohns, no garbage pickup, no safe easy access for volunteers, no fire extinguishers, no chickens for tick control, no stove / fireplace safety oversight, no one to try to kick out the drug-dealers, etc, etc, etc.

This is bad for everybody - the poor and the taxpayers too.

In preparation for the 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany, all homeless folks were picked up off the streets. They were labeled with a black triangle, and became some of the earliest prisoners in the Dachau concentration camp.

In 2013, the city of Colombia, in good ol USA, also passed legislation to exile the homeless. Some say they were given a choice: FEMA Camps or jail. Many other cities, including Lakewood Township, NJ, are now following in the same path...

Times and circumstances are very different, but the homeless are still the "canary in the coal-mine", detecting the ever-greater encroachment of the Police State!

We are powerless. We don't have any way of defending ourselves. We have no money, no special talents, no political or media connections. Many of us don't even have our full physical or emotional health. The Internet is our new and only chance to break through the communications gap and have our voices heard! The only hope we have depends on the support of people like YOU!

Getting the word out is the most important thing for helping us to confront these unconstitutional and inhumane anti-homeless laws, and to create an economically sustainable and effective solution for helping and rehabilitating the homeless!

You don't have to like us to "like" us - many people in Tent City are very flawed human beings. No one owes us a penny - all support for Tent City is 100% voluntary. But our Natural and Constitutional Rights, yours and ours, are all linked - though some ticket classes are better off than others, we are still all in the same boat - what they do to us today can be a sign of what will be done to others tomorrow!

During its 8+ year history, our Tent City has had some positive effect on countless lives, and saved the taxpayers millions of dollars. Mistakes were made, and lessons learned. In many ways we were sabotaged from doing A LOT better... The withering and the anticipated death of this Tent City is a tremendous setback to the Life and Liberty of the poor, but the struggle is only just beginning!

Please invite your friends to the "Tent City of Lakewood, NJ" Facebook Page - it is the best place to get all the news pertaining to not just to our current Tent City, but increasingly the Bigger Picture as well. Our organization will persist helping the homeless and pursuing justice even if/when the Powers That Be finish eradicating the much-needed camp that exists today!

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 27, 2014, 12:54:09 AM »

(2)  You are still incoherent.  Did you want to review the relative death rates per year, as implied in post #195?  Then why do you present a news story from 2012?

The article was dated 12/27/2012 - 17 months ago. Of course the death rate of the past few months is going to go down, because  your finally getting your ............. thrown out.

And for the record:  you having poor reading comprehension doesn't make me incoherent. Look what all that drugs did to you.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:58:00 AM by Baruch »

Offline Alex Libman

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tent City Movement
« Reply #210 on: May 27, 2014, 12:58:08 AM »
No. that would be the reason for the guy that you caused to die from fire.

Do you speak English?

Why are we arguing about history - which is what you and tent city are - history.

Arguing about history is important for people who wish to learn from it.  Clearly you're not one of them.  Please go away, you're bringing the average IQ of TC-haters on this thread into single digits...

As I've already explained (for people who can read - you're clearly not one of them), Tent Cities will continue to expand.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 27, 2014, 01:06:47 AM »
Alex,  some of the things you've said here,  are just plain dumb. 

Yes, if people  would die at kmc at a ratio of 4:120 per year,  it should and would be bulldozed (obviously talking about people that came in healthy - just like by TC).

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2014, 01:07:07 AM »
Do you speak English?

Wow, you have really low reading comprehension. Reread what I wrote after you finish your joint.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 27, 2014, 01:08:07 AM »
Do you speak English?

Arguing about history is important for people who wish to learn from it.  Clearly you're not one of them.  Please go away, you're bringing the average IQ of TC-haters on this thread into single digits...

As I've already explained (for people who can read - you're clearly not one of them), Tent Cities will continue to expand.
But not in Lakewood!
We won, you lost. Now get a job or go disturb the peace in another town in america. Wtvr floats your boat.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2014, 01:17:59 AM »
@alex, another ridiculous thing  you said -  if someone buys a  house near an empty property, they should know that there's a chance of a tent city popping up there.

That is the most insane thing I've ever heard.

I've been at zoning meetings.  I've never heard that concern come up.  It's not a normal thing to have to suspect the creation of a tent city on any random empty peice of  land. 

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2014, 01:23:02 AM »

Arguing about history is important for people who wish to learn from it.  Clearly you're not one of them.
This coming from a guy that doesn't know the History of Tent City - that a few months before he arrived in Tent city someone froze to death.

Offline smee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2014, 01:28:36 AM »
You're outlook makes me nauseous.
Compassion is a very important thing and in lakewood there is compassion going on all day and night as is there in every corner of the world.
DON'T HIDE BEHIND A CAUSE and do a disservice to the genuinely needy by convincing them not to get help from the government, granted they (goverment)are not perfect. They never are, but sheesh!!!
You could SAVE LIVES by letting people get help instead of preaching your liberalism (which no one is denying) how the world is going to hell and tent city's are a necessity.
That's bull and you know it!
The illegal immigrants, many with no jobs live very comfortable with shelter and food!
I like camping too but WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?!?!?!?!

Get a job alex, you have great writing skills and can advocate for the homeless with your warm and accepting yet stubborn personality.

I HATE that  FOUR LIVES were lost in the woods!

Feel free to disagree, but please stop quoting  ;)
Good Night/Morning.....

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline smee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 29, 2014, 09:33:51 PM »
http://newjersey.news12.com/news/lakewood-tent-city-to-close-permanently-final-residents-have-been-evicted-1.8265311
I felt really bad until i read this on Alex Libman's face book account....

"It is clear that Lakewood Township's true concern isn't the well-being of the poor. It's obtaining the land on which Tent City is situated as quickly as possible so they can develop it and further their RACIST, SEPARATIST RELIGIOUS AGENDA. Power for power's sake, and discrimination by design - paid for, ladies and gentlemen, with YOUR TAX DOLLARS."

Still very sad for everyone, i wish them all the best.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 29, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »
Alex Libman is a clown. You can still feel bad for the non-agenda - Bad decisions/Bad luck homeless.