Author Topic: Yes, I'm a Cubs Fan  (Read 87829 times)

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Yes, I'm a Cubs Fan
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2015, 10:11:10 AM »
Next year will tell if they are for real or had a fluke year.
Not so sure you can win 97 games and eliminate two really good teams in playoffs and call it a fluke. The one lucky part was that until Russell got injured in playoffs they were rather healthy all year. They prob know that and will focus on depth in off season.
Cubs need to improve their pitching. Maybe sign Price. Hope so for my fantasy team.
Wonder if they think that they can turn him around as far as post season success...

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »
Cubs need to improve their pitching. Maybe sign Price. Hope so for my fantasy team.
They need some pure hitters. HR hitters just don't cut it when playoffs come around.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2015, 10:14:15 AM »
Not so sure you can win 97 games and eliminate two really good teams in playoffs and call it a fluke. The one lucky part was that until Russell got injured in playoffs they were rather healthy all year. They prob know that and will focus on depth in off season.Wonder if they think that they can turn him around as far as post season success...
I am not saying this will happen but what if they are .500 the next couple of years. This year would be considered a fluke.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 22, 2015, 10:26:24 AM »
They need some pure hitters. HR hitters just don't cut it when playoffs come around.
Aren't Castro and La Stella pure hitters. They just hit everything at someone. I don't think that they should rethink the philosophy of building the team, as they were the third best team in the reg. season and 3/4th best in playoffs. Just need to improve what they have (players now have playoff experience) and try to win division so they don't have to waste so much energy on wild card game. It would be nice if they had another playoff type pitcher as Hammel didn't do well second half or playoffs. I'm also hoping for a defensive upgrade in CF like Jason Heyward.
I am not saying this will happen but what if they are .500 the next couple of years. This year would be considered a fluke.
More likely to happen to the Mets. Their whole team is relying on young pitching which is great but more risky than having an all around good young team.

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #224 on: October 22, 2015, 10:31:37 AM »

Homers and walks lead to the most runs. That's why they won 97 in the regular season. The rules don't change in the playoffs, just the sample size. My cubs breakdown: Easier to improve their pitching by getting another anchor to go with Arrieta and Lester. They are loaded with young super talented cost controlled players on offense, the envy of any front office in baseball. They can do a few things.. Fowler is FA, they can try and have an OF of Schwarber, Bryant, Soler which will allow them to play Baez, Russell and Castro in the IF. Or they can try and trade Montero and his huge contract and commit to Schwarber as a Catcher, which Theo and team keep parroting is their plan. I doubt they do any of that though, my gut tells me they like their depth and don't want to sacrifice defense. They'll continue to try and move Castro, who is overpriced but not terribly and still reasonably young, maybe for a pitcher or a good defensive outfielde to replace Fowler or a strong reliever. Other than that, they should and will be major players in a ridiculously strong SP market and grab one (Greinke when he opts out, Cueto, Zimmermann, Price...) and improve the bullpen too.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 22, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »
More likely to happen to the Mets. Their whole team is relying on young pitching which is great but more risky than having an all around good young team.
-100. It's the exact opposite. Good young pitching as the core of your term is a much more reliable bet from a performance standpoint, and if there are injuries, that doesn't make this year a fluke - it means it was legit and injuries derailed them.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 22, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »
Both teams will be quite good for quite a bit.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 22, 2015, 10:38:44 AM »
-100. It's the exact opposite. Good young pitching as the core of your term is a much more reliable bet from a performance standpoint, and if there are injuries, that doesn't make this year a fluke - it means it was legit and injuries derailed them.
As of now they also don't have Cespedes or Murphy next year and that's most of their offense for the last few months. They only won 90 games and Washington most years will win more than that. How many would they have won without Cespedes?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 22, 2015, 10:39:32 AM »
...and have an OF of Schwarber, Bryant, Soler which will allow them to play Baez, Russell and Castro in the IF.
I haven't watched them all season, just in this series, but their OF looked brutal enough defensively as it is. I can't imagine removing a true CF and throwing in a converted 3B is a good idea.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 22, 2015, 10:42:46 AM »
As of now they also don't have Cespedes or Murphy next year and that's most of their offense for the last few months. They only won 90 games and Washington most years will win more than that. How many would they have won without Cespedes?
No one expected this offense to play this way as it is, with or without those guys. Of course they're not winning any titles without some hitting, but they can stay competitive indefinitely with that young pitching staff. Plus, if you're jumping ahead to the players they'd lose to FA, you should probably also account for the ones they might add in FA.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 22, 2015, 10:47:26 AM »
No one expected this offense to play this way as it is, with or without those guys. Of course they're not winning any titles without some hitting, but they can stay competitive indefinitely with that young pitching staff. Plus, if you're jumping ahead to the players they'd lose to FA, you should probably also account for the ones they might add in FA.
I didn't say they won't be good and they won't sign anyone, just pointing out that it's more likely that they sink 8 wins than the Cubs sinking from 97 to a .500 team, with most of their core under team control for a while.
I haven't watched them all season, just in this series, but their OF looked brutal enough defensively as it is. I can't imagine removing a true CF and throwing in a converted 3B is a good idea.
Schwarber looked brutal, and I'm sure he'll be working on defense in the off season. He was a catcher his whole life and they knew his defense wasn't there yet but needed his bat in the lineup. Bryant can field at least in left. IMO Fowler helped a lot this year, but an upgrade to an above average CF would be nice. Heyward would be the best choice as the Cardinals would suffer from it too.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 22, 2015, 10:48:22 AM »

Yep agreed. I think Barryg's idea of Heyward is a good one, but I think the cards will look to lock him up. It's too bad Parra broke out because now he'll command too much otherwise he could've been a great cheap fit.

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 22, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
They sure helped in the NLDS games
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 22, 2015, 12:11:29 PM »
Not sure what Cubs team you are all talking about. They were one of the worst hitting teams in the league. When it comes to the playoffs you better have a balanced attack.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 22, 2015, 12:12:21 PM »
They sure helped in the NLDS games
If it doesn't help win the big one then it doesn't matter.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 22, 2015, 01:00:45 PM »
Not sure what Cubs team you are all talking about. They were one of the worst hitting teams in the league. When it comes to the playoffs you better have a balanced attack.
After the all star break the Mets scored the most in the NL and Cubs were second. Since they are young and on the way up it would be safe to say that the should be one of the best (or the best) hitting teams next year.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 22, 2015, 01:04:19 PM »
If it doesn't help win the big one then it doesn't matter.
So you're saying that 29/30 teams fail every year? I'd say if they don't win at lease one WS in the next few years then they're a failure, but if they make playoffs for 7 out of 8 years, make it to the WS a few times, and win 1+ WS then each year making the playoffs matters.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 22, 2015, 01:12:15 PM »
I am talking about hitting and pure hitters. RBI's and scoring runs are totally different.

The Cubs have the most HR's in the playoff and they are watching from home.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 22, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »
So you're saying that 29/30 teams fail every year? I'd say if they don't win at lease one WS in the next few years then they're a failure, but if they make playoffs for 7 out of 8 years, make it to the WS a few times, and win 1+ WS then each year making the playoffs matters.
What I am saying the HR's won the series against the Cards. You are not going to win the WS that way, period. You better have some pure hitters and right now they have none. Hopefully some of the young guns will turn into pure hitters.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 22, 2015, 11:27:33 PM »
What I am saying the HR's won the series against the Cards. You are not going to win the WS that way, period. You better have some pure hitters and right now they have none. Hopefully some of the young guns will turn into pure hitters.
Would Heyward count as a pure hitter? If yes, I'm in.