Author Topic: Australia (Besides Melbourne And Sydney) Master Thread  (Read 89057 times)

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Australia Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2010, 01:09:51 PM »
Although these guys will do it for $0 they do ask that instead that the person asking them to do it for them "Pay it Forward" = give the $ instead to some Charity. Most people tried to give the $$ to something in Australia. I gave my money to the friend I was staying by for Shabbos and asked that he in turn give to the local Tomche Shabbos or some other Zedaka locally

So theres no way for these guys to  ever know if a person actually did give it away , I would suggest that if You use their services to in Fact give it to some Zedaka in SYD or MEL

This year UA took care of it for me w/o it costing me anything

I think that most of us give enough Tzedakah to "write it off" :)

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2010, 01:25:45 PM »
I think that most of us give enough Tzedakah to "write it off" :)

IMO it has nothing to do with that , but IMO should be in Addition to anything anyone gives.

these guys are basically saying Instead of paying that other site the 20AU , and instead of giving it to us we want you to give that 20AU (or whatever it is in US$) away to a good cause. So a person can Rationalize that since Im giving Zedaka anyway Ill simply say that $17.50 is in place of paying for the Visa, but then its not really part of ones Misar that they must give.

If I owe you $1000 and you tell me to give it to BMG, I cant deduct it from what I owe for Misar since its really You that is giving the $$ and not me. Same here, these guys are simply saying instead of paying us the $$ give it away, you are really only a Shaliach for them! But you can deduct from your taxes since you are giving the $$.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2010, 02:19:24 PM »
Ok boys, calm down. I contacted the person who does it and I'll "Pay it Forward"...don't worry steve2. Getting back to the issue at hand...places to stay? Where to eat over Shabbos? Things to do for the one day I am there? I am starting a new thread for New Zealand...
-Eli

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »
Ok boys, calm down. I contacted the person who does it and I'll "Pay it Forward"...don't worry steve2. Getting back to the issue at hand...places to stay? Where to eat over Shabbos? Things to do for the one day I am there? I am starting a new thread for New Zealand...

Im very Calm. And I wasnt posting in regards to You but to anyone who will use their services.

As for what to do Sydney is very compact and last yr we knocked it off 1-2-3 in 1 day.

1- there is a train but their Nesher service is 26AU for a roundtrip and can be paid with aCC. They are located in the Arrivals Lobby to your Right after walking thru C&I. ***** if you have any Food of any kind write it down on the C&I papers, if they catch you and you didnt BIG FINES, I had no problem last yr bringing in pkg cookies etc that were closed and other junk food. And they do Xray everything, if you think Israeli mechas is a hassle you do NOT want to be on the wrong side with the Aussies

2- dont know where you plan to stay but you can walk from say the middle of the DT area , where the Hilton & Westin are to the Hyatt and Bridge area in 20 mins. The bridge area is called the Rocks and is very nice, also theres Circular Quay = ferry Docks and street performers from there you can walk to The Opera House and the Botanical Garden theres a street that runs along the BG that has a couple of old buildings on it that were interesting to walk into and around. Most of Coloinal SYD has been torn down :-((  . Theres also Darling Harbour which is like South St seaport or Fishermans Wharf in Frisco

3- no restaurants DT at all for food you really need to go to Bondi take the train to Bondi Junction and then find your way (we didnt go to eat). was there over Shabbos.

4- if you want you can take a ferry to either the Zoo or better to Manly and bike ride or walk around

5- Shabbos is Home hospitality , I stayed by a friend and will do so again in Aug. There is a shul DT but no meals and most of those who come drive so if having a Shomer Shabbos minyan is important theres nothing DT

5- theres the Brdge climb I believe its 200AU and you end up walking to the top of the bridge with agreat view, no pics allowed but they take yurs and u can buy it from them

Offline yudel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2010, 11:22:05 PM »
we're flying into CNS next week, gonna be there for a couple of days with wife and baby. should we rent a car and do the sheraton with C&P or is it better to get someplace in cairns itself?

as far as activities, we're looking to do a day at the reef (snorkeling and/or glass bottom boat) and maybe a day in the rainforest.

Are we going to be totally out of it if we stay in port douglas or is it just as easy to get to things from there?

any advice from the "been there done that" (AS? Damaxer?) is much appreciated. Thanks

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2010, 11:37:31 PM »
we're flying into CNS next week, gonna be there for a couple of days with wife and baby. should we rent a car and do the sheraton with C&P or is it better to get someplace in cairns itself?

as far as activities, we're looking to do a day at the reef (snorkeling and/or glass bottom boat) and maybe a day in the rainforest.

Are we going to be totally out of it if we stay in port douglas or is it just as easy to get to things from there?

any advice from the "been there done that" (AS? Damaxer?) is much appreciated. Thanks

heading there myself 8/8-8/10

I too went back and forth between PD and CNS, in the end I used some of my Hilton pts and will be staying in CNS. seems I found out today that the wharf that the boats leave from is 1 block from the Hilton so I dont have to pay anything to get there.Im gonna most likely go with Silverswift as they leave at 8:15am more then enough time to daven and grab a quick breakfast. alot of others leave 7- 7:30. Its afull day out (gonna snokel) and seems most everyone charges the same $165AU

maybe I will do the rainforrest on Weds before flying back to SYD, but Ive done a # of RFs all over so its not that pressing on me to do it there, its also alittle bit North of PD.

I also went with CNS since theres a local bus I can jump on or a $10 taxi.PD was like $40+ each
 way, heard the Sher was abit of aresort while the Hotels in CNS are hotels

be happy u arent there this week, seems like alot of rain and very cool temps

Offline yudel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2010, 09:45:41 AM »
thanks Steve. if u have a couple of minutes to write how it all works out for u that would be amazing.

anyone care to comment on how difficult it is to get used to driving on the "other side of the road"

Offline leibima

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2010, 09:54:34 AM »
heading there myself 8/8-8/10

I too went back and forth between PD and CNS, in the end I used some of my Hilton pts and will be staying in CNS. seems I found out today that the wharf that the boats leave from is 1 block from the Hilton so I dont have to pay anything to get there.Im gonna most likely go with Silverswift as they leave at 8:15am more then enough time to daven and grab a quick breakfast. alot of others leave 7- 7:30. Its afull day out (gonna snokel) and seems most everyone charges the same $165AU

maybe I will do the rainforrest on Weds before flying back to SYD, but Ive done a # of RFs all over so its not that pressing on me to do it there, its also alittle bit North of PD.

I also went with CNS since theres a local bus I can jump on or a $10 taxi.PD was like $40+ each
 way, heard the Sher was abit of aresort while the Hotels in CNS are hotels

be happy u arent there this week, seems like alot of rain and very cool temps

I was in Cairns about five years ago and went to Port Douglas as well. There is not much in Port Douglas (at least at that time) except for some bars and some small hotels. As far as diving and snorkeling, you need to get on a boat for an hour ride to get the reef so it makes no difference where you leave from. There are companies all along the ocean that take you.
I think it was about a half hour ride between the two cities.

I am not sure what you are doing with you kid but if you are already going on a boat out to the reef, I would suggest very strongly to go diving. You will enjoy snorkeling but will laugh it off after diving. It is truly amazing.

There is a hotel in Cairns that is owned by a Jew (I think it is the Cairns Hotel).

As far as getting used to driving on the other side of the road - how good of a driver are you on this side of the road. That is probably what it depends on. I had no problem switching back and forth a few times on my trips.

Enjoy

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »
thanks Steve. if u have a couple of minutes to write how it all works out for u that would be amazing.

anyone care to comment on how difficult it is to get used to driving on the "other side of the road"

no prob but I dont get to CNS till next Mon 8/8

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2010, 04:07:40 PM »
in Port Dougles their are the sand dunes and i went on atv's there as well as sand sledding and stayed in a nice hotel bout 7 years ago

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2010, 05:54:02 AM »

Its very Humid and overcast. The main part to the town is the boardwalk which can be walked in apx 15 mins. Went snokeling today a royal pain if you have any facial hair, happy I didnt dive which would have been a bigger hassle.

Heading up to a gouge tommorrow before flying back to SYD. Its a train ride up and cable car back down, friends I ran into from FT told me not to miss it when I met them Motzei Shabbos for a brief get together.

Yesterday evening there were live bands playing all over the place in parks and gardens , ddint check it out tonight wiped out and another early wake-up call coming in the morn. If CNS is suppose to be exciting Im glad I didnt go to Port Douglas since CNS is a dead town. Think of Key west if you dont do water things no real reason to be here

Offline Smirk

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2010, 06:45:49 AM »
Unless you've dove the great barrier reef before u really missed out by only snorkeling. Regarding the facial hair, myself and 3 friends all had and they mentioned it and asked if we want a razor (we didn't take it) and it was totally fine.

CNS is not exciting. its got a nightlife. So ya if your not into that or going to be a tourist you as might as well go to PD.

You said your headed out to the gorge tomorrow. Are you referring to Mossman's Gorge?

Offline leibima

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2010, 10:22:47 AM »
You don't go to Cairns for Cairns. You go because of the Great Barrier Reef! I told you not to miss diving, that is the only reason in the first place to go.

What a shame you missed it. As for the beard, I went with friends that probably have more facial hair than you and it was not an issue.

Well, that just means you need to take another trip back

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2010, 04:54:58 PM »
My mustache has always caused problems for me when snorkeling/diving.
What do you guys do about that causing leaking masks?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
I don't have a full mustache but I've seen people that do and you can buy your own mask that fits better (I got one for 30-40 bucks) AND, OR a special grease made for mustache's, it helps seal it

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2010, 06:29:55 PM »

You said your headed out to the gorge tomorrow. Are you referring to Mossman's Gorge?

Kuramba

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2010, 06:31:40 PM »
 forgot to mention if a Beach is important then dont stay in Cairns as they dont have 1. By day the sea is in low tide and its all Mud Flats when the tide comes in you dont want to go swimming unless swimming possibly with crocs is your type of fun

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2010, 06:33:22 PM »
Unless you've dove the great barrier reef before u really missed out by only snorkeling. Regarding the facial hair, myself and 3 friends all had and they mentioned it and asked if we want a razor (we didn't take it) and it was totally fine.

CNS is not exciting. its got a nightlife. So ya if your not into that or going to be a tourist you as might as well go to PD.

grease or vasline might have done the thing. No probs as I enjoyed the snokeling and most times I was directy over where those diving were. True its not teh same but with the very choppy seas yesterday and it having taken its toll on me, Im 100% satisfied an dhappy I wasnt diving

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2010, 07:02:05 PM »
You can't swim in PD ocean so I'm assuming also CNS, poisonous jellyfish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2010, 12:52:28 AM »
Has anyone actually tried bringing in La Briute meals into Australia?

I've been emailing customs there and they seem to say that if it's a non-perishable sealed commercial meal that you can bring in up to 10kgs per person if you declare it and it passes inspection.

And yes, there are some edible LB meals (Cheese Ravioli, Spaghetti and Meatballs, etc.) and I do love having a piping hot meal in middle of a long hike or in the wilderness.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.