Author Topic: Australia (Besides Melbourne And Sydney) Master Thread  (Read 89878 times)

Offline harry

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Australia Master Thread
« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2014, 05:55:20 PM »
in business, usually fresh from lewis caterers

Offline oreo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Silver. Formerly United 1K, Delta Platinum,. Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2014, 12:16:25 PM »
So here's the report on the KSML in Y from SYD to LAX (I wasn't the one traveling, so I'm just copying and pasting; picture is of dinner):

here is what they served me for "dinner" on the plane.
rice cakes
margarine spread
tidbit of cake which was very tasty
one slice of  canned pineapple

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man if I had paid 3000 plus for that flight i'd be pissed lol.
TRUTH,
I find it hard to believe that the hot part wasn't missing but they didn't seem to think it was.

for snack.... honest to G-d... they gave me a mini  ham and cheese sandwich.

for breakfast, there was the same as dinner, but this time a hot something.... I think it was some kind of eggs and some kind of potato

Offline oreo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Silver. Formerly United 1K, Delta Platinum,. Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
« Reply #222 on: July 24, 2014, 10:06:26 AM »
Does anyone know how the KSMLs are (or who provides them) on DL for LAX-SYD or SYD-LAX?

Offline tuvz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 24, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »
Does anyone know how the KSMLs are (or who provides them) on DL for LAX-SYD or SYD-LAX?

most probably Lewises
there are other caterers, but you would only get them flying out of MEL

Offline oreo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 25, 2014, 11:20:14 AM »
most probably Lewises
there are other caterers, but you would only get them flying out of MEL

Got a response from Delta, they said Borenstein provides LAX-SYD and Lewis SYD-LAX.

I've seen some reports that Lewis has gotten much better over the last couple of years, can anyone confirm or deny?

Offline ajs625

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 25, 2014, 05:55:28 PM »
Flew from SYD-LAX earlier this month and the Lewis meal was better than any meal that has ever originated from the US. Note, from talking to the FA on my flight make sure to confirm your KSML because she said that there were times when they were supposed to and the meal was not on the flight.

Offline oreo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2014, 10:31:33 PM »
Flew from SYD-LAX earlier this month and the Lewis meal was better than any meal that has ever originated from the US. Note, from talking to the FA on my flight make sure to confirm your KSML because she said that there were times when they were supposed to and the meal was not on the flight.

I will do that, thanks. Looking forward to the meals now.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2014, 10:36:53 PM »
I had Lewis from MLE-SIN.
Best KSML I ever had. 2 awesome hot entrees on a 4 hour flight.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline oreo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »
I had Lewis from MLE-SIN.
Best KSML I ever had. 2 awesome hot entrees on a 4 hour flight.

This is only in Y but that sounds promising for a 14-hour flight :)

Funny thing about that, actually, is that I'm flying over tisha b'av--leave Perth on Monday night after the fast starts, then SYD-LAX on Tuesday morning, land at LAX Tuesday morning due to the time difference, and when I get back to CVG it's still Tuesday before sunset. Asked a Rabbi (my brother) who said he would check with his colleagues, but gave three possible answers at first:
1) Start fasting when it starts in Perth, and end 24 hours later
2) Fast from when it starts in Perth until it ends at my final destination (40+ hours)
3) Change my flight

After consulting with some experts (I assume) he gave me the following recommendation:
I start fasting in Perth according to their time. I can end my fast after 24 hours, in the air between SYD and LAX with about 5 hours left before landing--I can stuff myself during that time. Once I land in LAX though, I start fasting again until the fast ends after I get home.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »
I flew MLE-SIN in Y :)
Worked out nicely actually.  Had a row of 4 seats to sleep on. Sure beats domestic J!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2014, 06:35:32 PM »
This is only in Y but that sounds promising for a 14-hour flight :)

Funny thing about that, actually, is that I'm flying over tisha b'av--leave Perth on Monday night after the fast starts, then SYD-LAX on Tuesday morning, land at LAX Tuesday morning due to the time difference, and when I get back to CVG it's still Tuesday before sunset. Asked a Rabbi (my brother) who said he would check with his colleagues, but gave three possible answers at first:
1) Start fasting when it starts in Perth, and end 24 hours later
2) Fast from when it starts in Perth until it ends at my final destination (40+ hours)
3) Change my flight

After consulting with some experts (I assume) he gave me the following recommendation:
I start fasting in Perth according to their time. I can end my fast after 24 hours, in the air between SYD and LAX with about 5 hours left before landing--I can stuff myself during that time. Once I land in LAX though, I start fasting again until the fast ends after I get home.
Not safe to fast while flying.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »
Darn, so all the times I couldn't bring myself to eat that plane food are gonna come back to haunt me ?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 27, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »
Darn, so all the times I couldn't bring myself to eat that plane food are gonna come back to haunt me ?
Just need to hydrate properly.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline oreo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2014, 09:26:27 AM »

source? obviously if i feel ill i will drink water, and it's easier to get dehydrated while flying.

I asked Delta before the flight and they said Borenstein provided meals LAX-SYD, but the meals came out and they were all KoshAir/InfliteDelite. Yuck.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
Re: Australia (Besides Melbourne And Sydney) Master Thread
« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2014, 10:57:52 PM »
source? obviously if i feel ill i will drink water, and it's easier to get dehydrated while flying.

I asked Delta before the flight and they said Borenstein provided meals LAX-SYD, but the meals came out and they were all KoshAir/InfliteDelite. Yuck.
What ended up happening? What did you end up fasting?

Offline oreo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2014, 09:30:50 PM »
What ended up happening? What did you end up fasting?

Fasted the 24 hours with no problem, didn't even need water, though i thought i'd be able to fall asleep for the first 9 hours of SYD-LAX but I was unable to.  Got hungry more out of boredom than anything else, though there were plenty of movies to choose from. Then again I'm the type who, at the end of YK, would be totally okay to fast another couple hours. Thank goodness it was winter in Australia though, would have been much harder if it were hotter.  When the time came to break I asked the FA to heat up my dinner from earlier, ate my snack and water that had come an hour or two before break fast time, ate dinner, and ate breakfast when it came out a few hours later. Hydrated as much as possible.

My seatmates probably thought I was crazy, refusing meals and beverages for 9 hours and then stuffing myself.

All this with a 5-hour layover in SYD during which I took the train downtown, did Shacharit at the Great Synagogue, walked down to the Opera House to take a selfie and prove I was there, and returned to the airport to discover that DL doesn't allow its Gold/Plat/Diamond members on intl flights to use partner lounges, it's only for intl biz/first or club members.

Having fasted 24 hours, I then independently decided that I would continue to fast while on the ground in LAX and CVG but not in the air, since it is a public fast while on the ground but not in the air. This may have had something to do with being upgraded LAX-CVG. It's hard to refuse food and drinks when they're basically being force-fed to you.

Regarding the Lewis meals--good but not fantastic, certainly better than the Borenstein I got on the way to SYD. Fish as expected for dinner due to it being the ninth of the nine days. Kosher snack, btw, was an apple, a pear, and an orange, which were in fact delicious and the perfect things to break my fast on but it's kind of messy to eat an orange on a plane. The snack was not actually from Lewis.

Biggest downside of all this was missing a lot of free booze, including a great lounge (VA lounge in Perth).

Any other questions?

Offline SearchGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 20, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »
What's the cheapest way to fly SYD/BNE/MEL-HTI with miles?
Can I purchase a ticket NYC-MEL-HTI-MEL-NYC?
BA-QF YQ?
VA?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 20, 2014, 05:43:21 PM »
What's the cheapest way to fly SYD/BNE/MEL-HTI with miles?
Can I purchase a ticket NYC-MEL-HTI-MEL-NYC?
BA-QF YQ?
VA?
There's no YQ on QF within AU. Use Avios. VA doesn't even offer free water, but they have nice planes.

Offline SearchGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 20, 2014, 05:57:57 PM »
There's no YQ on QF within AU. Use Avios. VA doesn't even offer free water, but they have nice planes.
Whats the rate?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »
Whats the rate?

From                                           To        Initial                                Heading        Distance    
HTI (20°21'29"S 148°57'06"E)   BNE (27°23'03"S 153°07'03"E)   152.2°    (SE)   551 mi
HTI (20°21'29"S 148°57'06"E)   SYD (33°56'46"S 151°10'38"E)   172.2°    (S)   945 mi
HTI (20°21'29"S 148°57'06"E)   MEL (37°40'24"S 144°50'36"E)   190.8°    (S)   1218 mi